Oil warning light came on

polebridge

Guest Nogbad

There was a lot of stuff following about how it was likely to come loose itself and not worth the bother

mike

86442[/snapback]

A clip is so large that if it did fall off it would just sit harmlessly in there anyway, so I say it would be worth the bother!

A clip is so large that if it did fall off it would just sit harmlessly in there anyway, so I say it would be worth the bother!

86444[/snapback]

Hmmm. Maybe. I forgot that you can see the twiddly bits in a big bore. With a windage plate, I would have no worries. Without it, I might think very carefully. If it vibrates up the filter, it's got to be quite close to the whirly things.

m

Guest Nogbad
Hmmm.  Maybe.  I forgot that you can see the twiddly bits in a big bore.  With a windage plate, I would have no worries.  Without it, I might think very carefully.  If it vibrates up the filter, it's got to be quite close to the whirly things.

m

86445[/snapback]

If it vibrated up the filter it would be stopped by the gubbins the filter is screwed onto. I'm putting a clip on mine.

If it vibrated up the filter it would be stopped by the gubbins the filter is screwed onto. I'm putting a clip on mine.

86474[/snapback]

The filter's screwed onto the sump. Vibratiing that way, which, with the help of gravity is the more likely, would cause no problem. If it vibrates the other way, it's heading for expensive bits of kit.

m

Thanks to all for your feedback.

One thing that I have found is that I really hate the stock plastic dipstick!  You simply can not get an acurate reading.  I used my truck's dipstick to try and get a better indication on the oil level and it appears to be OK?  Maybe slightly down but I must say that I am not completely sure.  I added about 1/4 of a quart of 15/50 and I have not had any similar problems since.

I did notice that the clutch makes a hell of a racket when disengaged though. I guess that is normal?

I am curious about 'Kaputs' posting.  Is your bike OK?

Thanks.

86369[/snapback]

My bike ended up OK after 6 months of parts hunting - thanks for asking. It required a complete bottom end rebuild and now runs great. Interestingly there was another bike at the dealer I initially trucked it to with the exact same initial symptoms and problem. I sincerely hope that your problem is a minor one and that you can continue to enjoy your bike. I also don't want to make you paranoid about potential problems. The entire experience didn't sour me on guzzis - it only made me realize again how potentially easy they are fix. I've owned three guzzis (Eldorado, Lemans IV and now V!! - combined over 100,000 miles) and this was the first and only serious problem I've encountered.

Kaput

Guest Nogbad
The filter's screwed onto the sump.  Vibratiing that way, which, with the help of gravity is the more likely, would cause no problem. 

m

86476[/snapback]

My filter is mounted to the oil pump assembly. The only thing in the sump pan is a plastic strainer. The filter screws upwards with the seal uppermost so it's easy to pre-fill. thats why I said if the clip went upwards it would stop against the assembly above. If the clip fell off downwards (gravity wise) it would end up sitting in the "manhole" access cover.

It did happen after some hard acceleration.  I'll top it off a little.

Thanks.

86104[/snapback]

Yes mine did the same. New bike. Dealer changed oil at 1000 miles. 500 mile trip, accelerated hard and on came the light, backed off and it went out immediately. I stopped at the next garage and poured in a quart. Next day I overfilled the CS by a bit to make sure I did the next 500 miles no problem.

No problem for the engine if you top up the oil asap this according to dealer who checked out the bike later.

Consumption seems to have tapered off now the bike has some miles on it.