Yet another n00b w/out a Guzzi

stobie

Hi, guys. :)

I've been lurking around, enjoying the heck out of this site, and thought I would say hello.

I currently ride a BMW GS-Adv, which in my opinion, has the best combination of roominess and cornering ability of any bike out there, with the added bonus of a little bit of off-pavement capability. It absolutely does everything I ask of it, including annoying the hell out of the sporto's up in the NC mountains.

15664288-M.jpg

I got onto the GS-Adv from an RS because I had been misdiagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and I just couldn't keep my knees bent (36" inseam) in the mild crouch of the RS for more than 45 minutes. Turns out, the joint pain and swelling was due to a viral infection that took 6 months to clear up. Had I known this, I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of the RS. She was my baby:

4252761-M.jpg

The Giannelli exhaust made it the best-sounding oilhead I've ever heard (not saying much, I know). Musta been some Italian magic in that pipe.

Anyway, I know, logically, that there is no bike out there better for my needs and sensibilities than the GS-Adv. I have also learned that logic isn't very useful when it comes to choosing a motorcyle. If logic were the only criterion, we would all be riding KLR650's. The bike has to give you wood, period.

Which brings me to Moto Guzzi. I've always loved the looks and the sounds, but when the V11 series was released, especially the LeMans, I really fell in lust with them. And I haven't even ridden one yet.

So, I need to ride one, and see if I think my knees can handle it. The medical problems are over, but the legs are still long. I really have the hots for a red LeMans. I also need to somehow make my wife think that my getting one is her idea. :grin:

So, I'll continue to enjoy this great site, and I'll let you guys know what happens.

P.S. Hi to the Advrider guys here!! (rocker59, BreadMan, prolly others...)

I used to own a 94 R1100RSL and I thought that was going to be my last bike. It did everything well, even put on an expensive staintune exhaust system and while it did make the bike louder, it still was missing something. Then I made a mistake and purchased my first Guzzi, a V11 Sport. I never had any Italian bike before and I was wondering how it would hold up. Turned out to be just as reliable as my BMW and it had ten times the amount of soul. The Beemer sat in the garage for a year while I rode the Guzzi and I ended up selling it, I have never looked back.

So if you buy one be prepared because soon you will have a garage full of them.

Mike

I used to own a 94 R1100RSL and I thought that was going to be my last bike.  It did everything well, even put on an expensive staintune exhaust system and while it did make the bike louder, it still was missing something.  Then I made a mistake and purchased my first Guzzi, a V11 Sport.  I never had any Italian bike before and I was wondering how it would hold up.  Turned out to be just as reliable as my BMW and it had ten times the amount of soul.  The Beemer sat in the garage for a year while I rode the Guzzi and I ended up selling it, I have never looked back.

So if you buy one be prepared because soon you will have a garage full of them.

Mike

87634[/snapback]

Mike,

How did you find the transition from the RS to the V11, ergonomically? Is the legroom greatly reduced on the MG?

I owned an RT and a '95 R, so the ergonomic difference with the Guzzi is very great. It's not nearly as cramped as your standard Japanese sportbike crouch but still a big move from a BMW GS.

But, if you're beyond physical problems, the Guzzi should be no issue in comfort. It's a pretty nice all day ride.

IF WE'RE GOING THIS WAY, WE WILL GET MORE VIRUS ON THIS FORUM.

I saw a Dutchy with a horribel bike under his ass, now this. WTF!!! :angry:

88044[/snapback]

and i saw an italian having to use his legs to make bike work WTF.

Guest cduzzi
Mike,

How did you find the transition from the RS to the V11, ergonomically?  Is the legroom greatly reduced on the MG?

87921[/snapback]

There's no logical reason for owning a Moto Guzzi, but I'm looking for my second one now! By the way, what are the best excuses guys have used for owning more than one bike at a time? I need help as my wife doesn't see the point of the first one, let alone a 2nd. But my beautiful EV California needs a V11 or similar next to it in the garage! Maybe I have to come up with a virus in my knee or similar excuse??

cduzzi

I plead "stupidity"

She don't argue.. :P

I got 380 beautiful Berkshire Mts miles in on Sunday..

300 of 'em on roller coaster twisties. 5 good, talented friends.

Very little traffic.

The LeMans was purrin' and smilling....

AND ! I leave for 3 days in Vermont FRIDAY MORNING!!!

I never know what to say to someone comming off something like a GS.

Isn't that like the tallest, most comfortable bike there is?

The LeMans shure ain't ...It's a wierd low reach...and thats comming off a Duc SS.

I'm used to it but I'm 5'7 and made out of shark cartiledge.

Stobie,

The major difference between the two bikes in comfort would be the legs being slightly more cramped on the V11. The bars if I can remember correctly are slightly lower. My wife preferred the BMW mainly because her legs were less cramped and she could bring along more stuff with the BMW suit cases (now remedied with the Hepco Becker 40 liter bags :P: ).

How ever, I only had 20,000 miles on my 94 R1100RSL when I sold it in 2002 and I put 30,000 on the Guzzi in less than 3 years. They are just that much fun to ride :race::mg: .

I can do the same amount of mileage even while riding two up and fully loaded on my V11 Sport (600 mile days) compared to the BMW.

Best thing to do is try to find one to test drive.

Best,

Mike

Mike,

How did you find the transition from the RS to the V11, ergonomically?  Is the legroom greatly reduced on the MG?

87921[/snapback]

I guess I am just lucky about my wife liking bikes :huh2:

I had a 1989 BMW K75S when my now wife and I started to date. We went for a ride and I knew right off that I needed more cc's in the hills. Well time went on and she seemed to like riding on the back so I purchased the BMW R1100 RSL in 1994. In 1995 we did a 10 day vacation through Northern California, Oregon, Washington, B.C., Whistler Canada and it rained just about every day. The guys at my work were making bets that she would not make the whole trip (almost didn't) but she survived.

Anyway, back to your question, I guess she enjoys the Guzzi folks. Can't really explain it but as she says, the Guzzi folks are different and you will find all types that own them, from lawyers to gear heads/rednecks :grin:

The Guzzi she did not like was a 2002 Special Sport which I had purchased used. I did not test ride it and for some strange reason my back hated the bar position. 30 min. in the saddle and my back was gone. She did not like the seating position either because the foot pegs are too far forward and she could not adjust herself as we rode. Sold that bike and bought a Jackal and we had no problems :homer: .

So what kind of virus are you going to come down with?

Mike

There's no logical reason for owning a Moto Guzzi, but I'm looking for my second one now!  By the way, what are the best excuses guys have used for owning more than one bike at a time?  I need help as my wife doesn't see the point of the first one, let alone a 2nd.  But my beautiful EV California needs a V11 or similar next to it in the garage!  Maybe I have to come up with a virus in my knee or similar excuse??

cduzzi

88176[/snapback]