Strange Electrrical Problem - '00 V11 Sport

jsciullo

This started recently and Im not sure where to start looking. When I turn the key on to start the bike the lights for the speedo and tach come on and sometimes the oil light. The headlight, horn, tach and other dash lights do not work except for the turn signal indicator lights on the dash The actual turn signals do work all the time. All of the sudden the tach will start working the everthing else is also working (headlamp, horn, etc...). If I shut off the bike after everythig is working it will go back to just the turnsignals and neutral indicators - then after sometime it will all work again then shut down again. Any suggestions on where to start.

Thanks,

Jim in Dublin, OH

Guest ratchethack

Jim, you didn't mention if you've replaced your stock relays. There are many posts on the notoriously weak stock relays if you do a search. The items you indicated were intermittent are wired through the START relay. Regardless of the relays you have, I'd recommend swapping relays (they're functionally the same WRT sockets except for the START relay in the 2000 Sport - but all should work in all sockets) to see if this has any effect on your symptoms. If it does, I'd recommend replacement. In the START socket, the higher-amperage 25A GEI is a no-brainer, and they're cheap enough so that a whole set is easily justifiable.

FWIW, I happen to have Tyco relays in the sockets other than the START socket that also seem to be bulletproof at the lower 20A rating requirement of the other sockets.

Front to back, the row of relays under your seat goes: START, LIGHTS, NEUTRAL, ECU, AND EFI.

Dan The Guzzi Relay Man is a great source for GEI relays. All you need to know about your Guzzi relays (see FAQs) and top-notch source (and service!) for 'em here:

http://www.dpguzzi.com/relay.htm

EDIT: I had inadvertently called the START relay the POWER relay. Sorry, it's the dain bramage thing again :blush: . I just made the correction!

:drink:  I'm with Rachethack on this one.

KNOW THE RULES :2c:

88339[/snapback]

I'm with Ratchethack on the brain damage :bier:

Note the start relay is five pin, so in the unlikely event that you put a four pin in the start relay's socket, something won't work.

Also note the earlier V11 with the looser relay bracket are more susceptible to the problem, not because of the bracket, but because of how much juice is flowing through the lighting side of the starter relay.

And major Kudos to Dan for providing the relays at a profit rate equal to slave labor. :bier:

Speaking of labor, back to my own wiring problems...

Guest ratchethack
Note the start relay is five pin, so in the unlikely event that you put a four pin in the start relay's socket, something won't work.

Just for clarity, Dan's GEI replacement relays are 5-pin.

As I had referenced above - from Dan's FAQ's, point #4 at Dan's Web site link above:

"The 4 terminal relays lack the 87a terminal. If your socket will accept a 5 terminal relay, our relays will work. Note that you can swap a 5 terminal relay into a socket that contained a 4 terminal relay, but not necessarily the opposite. We recommend installing 5 terminal relays in all the sockets to maximize your swap options in case of emergency."

CAUTION: It has been noted that the socket connectors can be inadvertently pushed out of their receptacles from the back of the relay socket block when plugging-in a relay, which creates brand-new varieties of electrical havoc -- bound to start an extended trouble-shooting excursion where no one wants to venture.... :homer: To avoid this, best carefully "wiggle" the relays into their sockets to ensure proper engagement of the pins.... -_-

Yes, I did the relay repalcement to Bosch when I first got the bike. I just pulled the 1st relay (Front to Back) and its a Bosch 28311 (332 207 307) 12v. The other relays are 28310s. Maybe I have a flaky relay but I did notice the relay bracket moves around a lot, espically the first two relay slots. I think I will try new relays per Dan. If that doesnt work..... Thanks for all your replys.

Jim

Most of the stuff you mention comes off of the same supply except that the horn and headlights route through the left handlebar switch assembly. Try checking the left side hadlebar switch assembly connector to make sure that it is completely seated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ratchethack

Its always a pleasure to see the courtesy of a reply with results, Jim.

Glad it worked out! ;)

Definatly the crap standard relays , there's five of them under the seat. Pull them out and throw them in the bin, then replace them with the Bosch mini relay (here in Australia they are used in Holden Commadore's as headlight relays) available from any decent Bosch stocist. Since doing this my 2000 V11 hasn't had a problem.

Nev Briggs

Guest Nogbad

I'm STILL waiting for a Siemens relay to let go. The Bosch replacements are still under the seat in their little yellow boxes.