Fuel Pressure Regulator Question

Guest RACRX

Guest RACRX

What looks to be the fuel pressure regulator on the right side of the gas tank,,has an exposed fitting right below the fuel return line. Is there supposed to be a vacuum hose or something connected to this fitting??? Doesnt seem like it could vary fuel pressure according to engine load with out a vacuum connection to the engine. Thanks for any clarification on this.

Yup, that's what it is and on most cars that I know of it is connected to the manifold. Why it isn't used on Guzzis, (Or any other similarly equipped bike?) I don't know. Perhaps it is simply that the demand for fuel isn't so great as to cause a radical drop in presure in the elivery system when the throttle is cranked? I seem to remember tehre was a discussion on this subject over on Phil's forum a while back. It might be worth doing a search over there.

pete

Guest RACRX
I seem to remember tehre was a discussion on this subject over on Phil's forum a while back. It might be worth doing a search over there.

Pete,, where might i find Phil's forums?

Thanks

Guest ratchethack
you can connect it to one inlet maniforld, it will make things more smooth from what I heard. Easy to try. I had a scura that had it, but never tried without.

FWIW, I tried it for awhile on my Sport - just to experiment. Made no perceptible difference whatsoever. -_-

What looks to be the fuel pressure regulator on the right side of the gas tank,,has an exposed fitting right below the fuel return line. Is there supposed to be a vacuum hose or something connected to this fitting??? Doesnt seem like it could vary fuel pressure according to engine load with out a vacuum connection to the engine. Thanks for any clarification on this.

89238[/snapback]

Seems like if any FI setup could use the variable pressure it would be an open loop system like we have. I don't know why they would use a vacuum operated regulator and then not apply vacuum. If nothing else it should lean the mixture slightly with closed throttle. Next time I have the MG at work I'll check CO content at idle with & without vacuum applied. I'll attach a fuel pressure gauge as well and see what the pressure difference is.

Stay tuned...

Lean popping durring decelleration might be a symptom that it is working.

If it does not pop, it may save fuel mileage, egxspecially in on and off again throttle traffic and twisties :grin:

Guest ratchethack

A regulator needs a reference. This open loop application uses ambient. Seems to work just fine. :huh2:

Guest RACRX

The plugs on my bike have a darker color than i would have thought on an efi engine. With out vacuum on the regulator,, fuel pressure would be at a constant high pressure causing a richer mixture at idle. At least thats how it works on efi autos. Just a mystery why MG felt a variable fuel pressure was not needed on this aplication.