I made a big mistake...

beauchemin

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We heard you jonesing for that Harley a long time ago.

You probably just need a street bob, a buell, AND your Guzzi!

89597[/snapback]

I think youre on to something but change the buell to a aprilia and we have a deal :lol:

I urge caution Chris...... Anyways, a guy on a KTM 950 was talking about the huge ordeal to simply change the oil. He also noted the incredibly poor fuel economy. Lastly he mentioned the devastating cost of parts, especially cosmetics. He said the price would even make BMW owners flinch.

Enthusiastically go for another test ride, but remember no 1 bike is perfect!

How hard can changing the oil be? Bad fuel economy??? Well, he hasn't ridden a V11 yet. Cost of parts? Well, at least he can get them...

Last weekend I was crossing the Aldergrove/Lynden border crossing to pick up a parcel [taking advantage of our new strong dollar] , when I spotted a middle aged couple [the fellow I recognized as a former 1150GS Adventure owner] parked just on the Canadian side, brand new 950 Adventure disassemmbled in the engine area. I pulled in to help. Seems the new bike was having an electrical issue, was blowing main ignition fuses, their holiday tour only 1/2 hour long. He was very pissed off. I returned back across in 1 hour, and they were still there, but had moved everthing to the shade of a large tree, waiting for some kind of help. I felt sorry for them, as KTM's here are quite expensive, I know he paid close to $20,000 out the door, for his new, dead, bike.

Sounds like V11s with their relays...

How hard can changing the oil be?  Bad fuel economy???  Well, he hasn't ridden a V11 yet.  Cost of parts?  Well, at least he can get them...

Sounds like V11s with their relays...

89988[/snapback]

Well put. I'm sure anybody willing to deal with Guzzis will find a KTM, with whatever issues it comes with, a relative breeze.

Try www.ktmtalk.com for a ton of first hand info.

90090[/snapback]

good, bad? I don't have time to read!!! :lol:

I love and have loved the Super Duke from inception maybe I should just get that instead of even thinking about a Buell or for now a harley, but at 15k...ouch looks fun tho. real real fun like a Ulysses only for the road, but I wonder if you put those tires on the KTM, ... HMMMMM :food:

Guest whidbeyrider

Three bikes ago, (before my FZ1, and my present V11), I owned a KTM 400 sxc. It was fully steet legal and a great bike. I gave some friends of mine a run for their money on some twisty island roads, and they were on Honda 600's, and one guy on a VFR 750. It would also give pure dirt bikes offroad up in the mountains a hard time. I rode the snot out of that bike on and off road for three years, and heard people talk about maintenance issues, but none of the people talking ever owned a KTM. I changed the oil and had zero problems. When I see people on KTM's they say they love them. This months issue of Motorcyclist magazine raves about the bke, they love it! I would love to own one and I have already starting thinking how to put this one past the wife!

Three bikes ago, (before my FZ1, and my present V11), I owned a KTM 400 sxc. It was fully steet legal and a great bike. I gave some friends of mine a run for their money on some twisty island roads, and they were on Honda 600's, and one guy on a VFR 750. It would also give pure dirt bikes offroad up in the mountains a hard time. I rode the snot out of that bike on and off road for three years, and heard people talk about maintenance issues, but none of the people talking ever owned a KTM. I changed the oil and had zero problems. When I see people on KTM's they say they love them. This months issue of Motorcyclist magazine raves about the bke, they love it! I would love to own one and I have already starting thinking how to put this one past the wife!

90124[/snapback]

Whidby Island! What a great place to own a motorcycle!! Are you in Bellingham or on Whidby?

Ciao, Steve G.

oh man... 

90355[/snapback]

Fun video, and with practicing a couple times, backing into corners is cool. I'll give you full agreement as to the capabilities of this bike. I don't think any sport bike can keep up to supermoto and duel sport bikes in tight pavement.

One note though. Does any KTM, with their "unique" styling, warrant the important [to me anyways] garage appeal. That appeal which describes looking back one more time as you leave the garage. In my personal feelings, I am saying a big 'no'.

Ciao, Steve G.