MotoBits

Guest MikeC

Guest MikeC

I was wondering if anyone has installed them on a V11 with clip-on's such as 2000 V11 and did they help.

Also wondering if the installation was straight forward and easy.

Mike

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I installed them about two weeks ago. They are awesome! Super-duper adjustable...

The instructions that come with the kit are pretty good, and there are no big surprises. For me, installation was pretty easy, but depending on your bike you may need to extend the brake light wiring since the angle of the rear brake master cylinder is increased and eats up almost all of the slack in the cable. In a worst-case scenario, you may have to replace the hose from the resivoir to the master cylinder for the same reason as above. I have an '03 Sport, and didn't have to do that. Getting a wrench behind the brake-side pork-chop to remove the stock footpeg can also be a challenge. Fit and finish of the parts are top notch. All components come ball-burnished and are not anodized (except the pegs, which are clear-anodized) so if so inclined, you can send them out to get prettied up. The knurling on the pegs is pretty gnarly, so riding in flip-flops and a vinyl bananna-hammock should be avoided (sorry, TX!) Also, these are not folding pegs, so you'll need to get used to them.

So do they help? Yes. I'm about 6' tall (and disturbingly handsome :not: ) and putting the pegs 1 1/2" forward and about 1" down definetly reduces the "scrunch" factor. Haven't been on any long rides yet, but I expect things to be more comfortable. The leverage against the brake also changes, and for me, I need to give more force than before for hard stops (however this does help prevent you from stomping too hard and locking up the rear.)

Gripes? Two (minor) ones:

1. Outside diameter of the pegs need to be shaved down by .005" - .010" because the heads on the three hex-cap screws that adjust lever angle brush against the pegs when being removed. Makes an icky feeling while screwing them back in, like you're stripping the threads.

2. Levers are cut from flat bar stock and don't compensate for their more outward position. I find my right foot pressing down more on the lever than on the little toe-thingy. I may need more time to get used to it...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, just like John Kerry :whistle:

Guest Nogbad
I installed them about two weeks ago.  They are awesome!  Super-duper adjustable...

The instructions that come with the kit are pretty good, and there are no big surprises.  For me, installation was pretty easy, but depending on your bike you may need to extend the brake light wiring since the angle of the rear brake master cylinder is increased and eats up almost all of the slack in the cable.  In a worst-case scenario, you may have to replace the hose from the resivoir to the master cylinder for the same reason as above.  I have an '03 Sport, and didn't have to do that.  Getting a wrench behind the brake-side pork-chop to remove the stock footpeg can also be a challenge.  Fit and finish of the parts are top notch.  All components come ball-burnished and are not anodized (except the pegs, which are clear-anodized) so if so inclined, you can send them out to get prettied up.  The knurling on the pegs is pretty gnarly, so riding in flip-flops and a vinyl bananna-hammock should be avoided (sorry, TX!)  Also, these are not folding pegs, so you'll need to get used to them.

So do they help?  Yes.  I'm about 6' tall (and disturbingly handsome  :not: ) and putting the pegs 1 1/2" forward and about 1" down definetly reduces the "scrunch" factor.  Haven't been on any long rides yet, but I expect things to be more comfortable.  The leverage against the brake also changes, and for me, I need to give more force than before for hard stops (however this does help prevent you from stomping too hard and locking up the rear.)

Gripes? Two (minor) ones:

1. Outside diameter of the pegs need to be shaved down by .005" - .010" because the heads on the three hex-cap screws that adjust lever angle brush against the pegs when being removed.  Makes an icky feeling while screwing them back in, like you're stripping the threads.

2. Levers are cut from flat bar stock and don't compensate for their more outward position.  I find my right foot pressing down more on the lever than on the little toe-thingy.  I may need more time to get used to it...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, just like John Kerry  :whistle:

89601[/snapback]

:nopic:

Do you have a link to a supplier or more info on this kit?

89607[/snapback]

The MotoBits site is www.motobits.com, however the V11 kit isn't listed there (or I totally missed it.) The price is around $300, which is pretty reasonable.

I purchased mine at Moto International. I'm not sure if they always have them in stock, but if I remember correctly, the kit is made by a former owner/partner/employee of Moto International, so they should have no problem getting them. Greg Field is the man to talk to and if I'm wrong about any of this, hopefully he'll correct me here.

Nogbad, I'll post pics (of the kit, not TX in the flip-flops & grape smuggler) tonight if I remember.

:nopic:

89613[/snapback]

As requested... Knock on wood, my fuzzy engine paint hasn't peeled. As you can see, the infection hit the pork chops instead. Gonna get 'em powdercoated sometime soon.

PDRM0019.JPG

PDRM0020.JPG

Guest MikeC

Thanks for the pictures. Looks very nice. Looks like you still have plenty of wire left from the brake light switch. Does the kit come with a bracket to change the angle of the rear master cylinder?

Question's regarding the shifter side.

What is the silver bar that looks like it's coming off the frame attached to the brass piece, which looks like it's coming from the shifter? Can't tell from the angle.

How does the shifter attach to the spline at the tranny, stock linkage or new linkage comes with the kit?

Thanks,

Mike

Looks like you still have plenty of wire left from the brake light switch.

Nope, I had to extend the wire. I replaced the original jacket around the wires with a couple layers of shrink tube.

Does the kit come with a bracket to change the angle of the rear master cylinder?

Yep.

What is the silver bar that looks like it's coming off the frame attached to the brass piece, which looks like it's coming from the shifter?  Can't tell from the angle.

The silver bar comes off the lever attached to the shifter spline, then uses one link to attach to the shifter lever.

How does the shifter attach to the spline at the tranny, stock linkage or new linkage comes with the kit?

Stock linkage is almost completely replaced. The only original part left is the lever that bolts to the shifter spline, and that gets flipped over so the offset is on the outward side of the bike. Pretty slick reuse of the original parts.

Tasty.

Mmm, a little hard on the tooth enamel.

Looks a very professional job.

Yeah, I'm very impressed. Makes me want to become a machinist myself. I used to work as a welder (titanium & stainless steel tube and duct work) and I constantly dream of starting a side business like this making tricky bits for the Gooses...

Guest Nogbad
Yeah, I'm very impressed.  Makes me want to become a machinist myself.  I used to work as a welder (titanium & stainless steel tube and duct work) and I constantly dream of starting a side business like this making tricky bits for the Gooses...

89663[/snapback]

Treat it as a vocation. You won't retire on the proceeds......

...and a couple more.

89648[/snapback]

Thanks for the info & pics. They look great.

How's the length compared to the stock ones? From the picture they seem to stick out more. Are there any ground clearance issues with them lower and non-folding?