sport vs Mercedes s500 (I didnt win)

Guest citimoto

This is very unfortunate, you have my utmost sympathy.

My kids? well two are grown up and the other is twelve but when they were younger both my wife and I were accutely aware of the fact that motorcycling can be dangerous but on ballance my overall mental health was so far improved by my being able to go out for a spirited flog that the trade off in risk was seen to be worth it.

I did a lot of riding in cities when I was younger, despatch rode in London in the '80's, the sort of crash you had is an almost daily risk, in fact it's probably worse now as back then at least mobile phones weren't around!

I can understand your wife's concerns and your decision is of course yours alone but I would offer a word of caution. One of the biggest groups clogging motorbike accident statistics is middle aged blokes returning to motorbikes after a lay-off when they had young families. IMHO it is probably statistically far safer to keep riding, although depending on where you live and work maybe not commuting, than it is to give it away for a decade or more and then to come back when the itch gets too strong.

A couple of years ago I had my first major off in almost two decades. It certainly made me re-assess a lot of stuff and certainly made me realize that neither my reactions nor my skill levels are what they were twenty years ago. It didn't though for a moment make me think that I should give up motorbikes, not even limit myself to track days. Quite simply road riding is such an integral part of my life I'd be berreft without it and while your situation will obviously be different I'd give the matter considerable thought before I made a decision so soon after the incident. Act in haste, repent at liesure as the saying goes.

At the end of the day you have escaped fairly lightly and that is a good thing. What man has made man can make again, the bike is only metal, although it's obviously disappointing for such damage to have occured. My advice would be to hop back in the saddle as soon as possible and make a decision based on being *in control rather than a knee-jerk reaction to the horror of what occured.

Whatever you decide I wish you all the best and hope that the decision is the right one for you.

Pete

Glad you're alright...it's good to bring these things to the forum-keep everyone's attention on peak. I've been fortunate so far. Safe, but fortunate. Hope that guy gets his lumps. Again, happy to hear your report that the gear is all that really suffered. :bier:

I think most of it has been said, but let me chime in and say I'm thankful you weren't hurt more. You can get another bike- don't sweat that, it's your health and life that is important. It sounds like you were on your toes and responded well to the situation, even though it ended poorly. It goes to show that you can't be too careful and wearing ATGATT is a good thing. I now have a four month old daughter and I'm acutely aware of the risks. Doesn't stop me though- I just bought another Guzzi this weekend. :drink: Heal up citimoto...and sue the crap outa the arsehole. :D

Guest citimoto

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys. Wow am I sore! Im dropping the bike of at the local Guzzi dealer tomorrow (of course no one opens today) and we'll see what the damage is. Ill be in the UK for 10 days so hopefully it will give them time to look through the bike and me some time to put things in perspective. I think most of the damage to the bike is cosmetic but it will be interesting to see what it costs. The guy that hit me (in his late 50's) feels pretty bad and is being reasonable to work with. Of course in my mind im thinking what if the bike is considered a right off and what would I get? I really like the look of the new ducati sport 1000 but wonder about living with it everyday. The monster s4rs has also been on my mind as well as buying another Guzzi. I must say that i really enjoy my ride to work on the bike (only about 7 miles of city driving) but the idiocy of those around me is unsettling. Part of me thinks I should just get a track bike and be done with it but the daily use of a bike is such a part of who I am. I agree with what some of you said as I spent some time without a bike and it always felt something was missing. Its hard to explain to my friends with kids why I ride as im not sure if they see anything beyond the novelty of showing up at the local burger joint with the latest chromed out Cruiser. At times I feel a bad parent for loving riding so much but it is such a mood elevator and really clears my head. I have good insurance and i know that monetarily my family will be looked after if the worst was to happen.

When I had children I put away a part of my life that I felt wasnt in keeping with being a good father (dreams of great feats in Alpinism) and joined a local rock gym (as exciting as running on a treadmill). Unlike the guys that rejoin the ranks of riders later in life after children are grown im not sure if I could jump back in to the climbing game at a high technical level. That part of me is gone for good and I dont want the same thing to happen to my riding. Sorry to ramble but apparently Im more attached to riding than I thought! Please see attached pic of rosso puro head protectors. they are not pretty right now butt post-1780-1148337946_thumb.jpghey did their job for the most part (sorry for the bad camera phone pic) Thanks again. Chris

Sorry to hear about this. Glad your injuries are not too terrible. The bike can be replaced and given a little time hopefully your wife will calm some.

Orangeokie makes very good points

I remember riding back in the mid 70's As teenagers we'd say "watch out for those Cadillac drivers, they are the worst!"

Thirty years of evolution and the self absorbed fat cats are now driving Mercedes sedans.

I have a whole list of suspect vehicle operators but I won't go there now :whistle:

God luck with your recovery & repairs

I thought you were racing against a benz!!!

sorry... hey, i like your head guards better.... character baby! :thumbsup:

after the third time you dump your bike, you'll start appreciating these things... :grin: (don't ask me how i know)

GUARD.jpg

say,... are you selling them? :D

Sorry about your crash citi, at the very least you should get your bike repaired and end up with the Benz!

I stopped riding for a while when my kids were young then my boys and I got into off road riding and now my oldest and I ride street together, its been great fun. I also can sympathize with your aches and pains ...been there done that! Get well soon.

waspp