Ventura bike rack system

guzzilad

has anybody any experience of using the Ventura bike rack system on a V11 Le Mans.at the moment i am using Teckno bags but i find these restrictive when carrying a pillion. i am getting ready for our trip to Mandello for the GMG. Regards Jim.

I have the ventura rack. It is sturdy, works well and the rack is larger than the Stucchi or other offerings, but the Ventura rack is squared off and runs outside the tailpiece, so it is kind of ugly (IMO).

Guest Nogbad

I am thinking of getting this system with rails for both the Guzzi and the XB12 so I can use the grabrail and rack interchangeably on either bike.

I got my '97 Daytona RS complete with the Ventura rack system. The former owner must have been a hardcore sports torurer.

I have no use for most of the racks and bags. I will keep the small tail rack for my lunch box. Anybody that would like the remaining stuff is welcome to it for the shipping costs. :mg:

take that deal!

I also have the full ventura system. It is fabulous, doesn't throw off bad weighting like other systems and holds a lot. It is plenty ugly, so you need to be touring enough to make it worth the esthetic problems, but I use the small rack when I'm not going long..... Which is more bearable.

I think the picture of my avatar makes clear how much it messes up the lines of the bike. You'll get a good idea if it's for you from that.

The Ventura system is a good bit of gear, works well on my V11 Mandello Rosso. When not carrying bags, I put the little grab rail on and it almost complements the pillion seat cover.

Have just returned from 5 days touring to a Guzzi rally over some pretty bouncy roads and the bike felt great. It seems to like a bit of weight, with Oxford Tank bag, Dry Rider throwover saddle bags and Gearsack on ventura frame, all worked a treat. Even managed a deep creek crossing with no mishap, compared to a much lighter packed Buell which ended up throwing its rider in a deep hole in the most perfect somersault dismount I've ever seen.

However, at speed from rollons against a '81 Lemans, over 185km/h it started to feel a little bit unstable, but at normal touring speeds around 140-160km/h it felt quite stable.

I tried to send photo but can't seem to get file size small enough, any clues?

I am thinking of getting this system with rails for both the Guzzi and the XB12 so I can use the grabrail and rack interchangeably on either bike.

89927[/snapback]

Ummm... the racks are all different athe MG is rather a wide rack and the Buell narrow so they wont be able to be swaped over.

The Ventura you guys mention is the NZ made setup aye? I'm impressed that its spread around the world so far, its about all we use here.

Guest Nogbad
Ummm... the racks are all different athe MG is rather a wide rack and the Buell narrow so they wont be able to be swaped over.

The Ventura you guys mention is the NZ made setup aye? I'm impressed that its spread around the world so far, its about all we use here.

90135[/snapback]

Bugger. I'll have to call them and find out what's what. When I got the catalogue the bags and racks looked like they were the same, and the frame rails bike specific and I thought I could buy 2 sets of frame rails and one set of rack / grab rail / bag.

Back to the drawing board then! :homer:

:thumbsup:

90135[/snapback]

My bike came fitted with a ventura rack, the racks may be different for each bike but are the bags all the same fitting size :huh2: i.e. buy a bag and it fits any rack.

Gary

:thumbsup:

My bike came fitted with a ventura rack, the racks may be different for each bike  but are the bags all the same fitting size  :huh2:  i.e.  buy a bag and it fits any rack.

Gary

90142[/snapback]

yes true I ment the L bars ofcourse and the racks differ eg distance between conecting points they are numbered 10,12,14 etc the MG is a size 14

Highly recommended. Had the rack and bag on my old Mark IV LeMans. Bought a new one for the 2002 Lemans as soon as I bought the bike. Bags zip together (30litre and 45 litre) if you want so great capacity on long trips. Stable at high speed and no real movement that causes a worry in tight (read "tight") corners. On really bumpy roads may get some movement but not enough to be distracting or affecting the bike movement or geometry. Fairly well water proof too.

If I've done it right a picture with the bags on each way

Story goes that too may people were buying the racks and not the bags. Putting (cheaper?) Gearsack bags on instead (Now that's an ugly bag). Maybe can't now buy the rack without the bag. Not sure

Bikes.jpgHighly recommended. Had the rack and bag on my old Mark IV LeMans. Bought a new one for the 2002 Lemans as soon as I bought the bike. Bags zip together (30litre and 45 litre) if you want so great capacity on long trips. Stable at high speed and no real movement that causes a worry in tight (read "tight") corners. On really bumpy roads may get some movement but not enough to be distracting or affecting the bike movement or geometry. Fairly well water proof too.

If I've done it right a picture with the bags on each way

Story goes that too may people were buying the racks and not the bags. Putting (cheaper?) Gearsack bags on instead (Now that's an ugly bag). Maybe can't now buy the rack without the bag. Not sure