These Things Run Pretty Hot!

Greg Field

I've got a thermometer dipstick on Billy ('cause I'm a total geek and like to monitor such things).

After just a short ride in town (about 8 miles) on a day that was no more than 60 degrees F., the oil temp was 92 degrees C. It'll be interesting to see how hot it gets when the air temps are 90 degrees and I'm flogging it.

Guest ratchethack

Interesting, Greg. I've thought about adding an oil temp gauge myself, as I'm occasionally in 110-120F temps in the desert in the summer.

Makes me appreciate the fact that Guzzi saw fit to provide an oil cooler...... :sun:

I think that the newer, FI bikes, do run appreciably hotter. Isuppose it's something to do with running a leaner mixture. I know Greg also has had overheating issues with his Eldo, perhaps it's just the way it gets flogged :grin: .

In my experience with numerous old roundfins I've never felt the need for any oil cooling apart from what is provided by the finning. Even my SP with it's full fairing would only get unaccepatbly hot after long periods of trickling along in traffic in 40* heat and as soon as I got some air flow over the cylinders and sump it would all cool down again. (The SP has both oil pressure and temperature guages fitted.)

With the Griso with it's *smooth* sump I can imagine that the oil cooler will be a boon, but there again it'll only work properly when the bike is moving. I must admit though that I don't worry too much about heat, even in high summer. They always seem to cope.

Pete

Around town they do get warm and cool slowly.

On the open road they probably are over cooled

90097[/snapback]

Again, about 60 deg. F. today. Unhurried 12-mile roll down the highway netted 82-deg. C oil temp. This is nothing to worry about, but with all due respect it is not over-cooled, either. I'll take it out for a flog this weekend, and see what she reads.

I don't know much about engine oil temperature, so I googled and found

- Extra oil cooler connected to the oil lines cooling the head. Oil cooler is located under seat and will cool the oil an extra 7 to 10 degree Celsius. (The oil cooler is only mounted when riding in southern Europe. During summer time in Denmark the oil temperature seldom gets above 75-80 degrees. Ideal oil temperature is 75 degrees, for each 10 degrees more; the engine will loose 3-5 percent of power.)
http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/index.htm?patrick/projects/karsten/karsten.htm~main

Not sure how reliable the info is or how our bike may differ, but it may be a good reason to add a cooling fan :(

I tend to monitor my Sport 1100 often ( via the temp sensor on the cam cover ).

Moving at over 70km/h I tend to see the engine about 40C over ambient. It gets warmer as you go slower. 60km/h might be an extra 5C.

It climbs quickly when stationary. 2 minutes, or 2 sets of red lights would definitely get over 90C. I've seen over 110 in heavy traffic. In the city when it gets up there it does tend to come down due to the slower speeds.

The temp sensor seems fairly quick in its response. I can see it cooling after being stationary in about 1/2 minute. I'd imagine the sump pickup would be a lot slower. Maybe its hotter down there also.

I've got a thermometer dipstick on Billy ('cause I'm a total geek and like to monitor such things).

After just a short ride in town (about 8 miles) on a day that was no more than 60 degrees F., the oil temp was 92 degrees C. It'll be interesting to see how hot it gets when the air temps are 90 degrees and I'm flogging it.

90036[/snapback]

Here's a qoute from Spectro oil's FAQ page:

"WHAT TEMPERATURE IS GOOD FOR OIL AND WHEN IS IT TOO HOT?

Engine oils that run at @ 212° are ideal in that moisture is allowed to evaporate out of the oil. Above 260°F every 10 degrees increase halves the oil’s useful life. Over 350° presents serious problems and engine oil should be changed immediately. An oil cooler would be appropriate for these elevated temperatures."

100C is ideal, 82 is a bit cool. :thumbsup:

Here's a qoute from Spectro oil's FAQ page:

"WHAT TEMPERATURE IS GOOD FOR OIL AND WHEN IS IT TOO HOT?

Engine oils that run at @ 212° are ideal in that moisture is allowed to evaporate out of the oil. Above 260°F every 10 degrees increase halves the oil’s useful life. Over 350° presents serious problems and engine oil should be changed immediately. An oil cooler would be appropriate for these elevated temperatures."

100C is ideal. :thumbsup:

90305[/snapback]

Yes I have read somewhere in this forum that some motorcycles are designed to run at higher temperatures. What temp does the oil cooler line open? I think I remember it being 180, but I dont know whether that was Celcius or Fahrenheit. It seems as if your engine runs too cool you risk moisture & what comes with it. I'm also starting to remember something about higher temps reducing emissions? Anyone else remember hearing that one?

I'm also starting to remember something about higher temps reducing emissions? Anyone else remember hearing that one?

90310[/snapback]

True to a degree, but that is with a closed loop system that is a little more sophisticated than what our beloved tractor motors have. Higher engine temperatures allow for a leaner mixture reducing carbon monoxide. The down side is the high combustion temperatures from a lean mixture creates more oxides of nitrogen. Not to mention other drivability issues. It is a delicate balance that requires precise fuel control. :nerd:

I love Redline and their oil, but the truth is, viscosity drops rapidly, with any oil I've ever tried, including theirs, for every degree over 90 C. I know this 'cause my sorely flogged Eldo's oil-pressure gauge and temp gauge tell me so. Even with Redline. The oil may not cook at these temps, but it thins out such that the pressure is dangerously low. You have to have guages to monitor how rapidly it happens or you would never know.

I have gotten so experienced with this on the Eldo, that I can look at what the pressure reading is for the rpm, and tell within 5 degrees what the oil temp is.

Sooner or later, I'll get a pressure gauge on Billy Bob. I'm really curious to see what that will show regarding the flickering oil lights on hard acceleration and during wheelies.

The thromometer stick I have is one I pulled out of stock at MI. I'll get a pic of it later.

Greg, how much are the thermo dipsticks, do they ship to the UK. Had one years ago on a 2000 v11 and it was useful for keeping an eye on the temp when touring europe, In spain in heavy traffic had it upto 120 F but surprisingly dropped quickly once under way.

In the UK summer ha hah ha , very rarely budged above 95 F even after a couple of hours on the road. Never had the flickering oil light on the 2000 v11 or the lemans.

Greg, how much are the thermo dipsticks, do they ship to the UK. Had one years ago on a 2000 v11 and it was useful for keeping an eye on the temp when touring europe, In spain in heavy traffic had it upto 120 F but surprisingly dropped quickly once under way.

In the UK summer ha hah ha , very rarely budged above 95 F even after a couple of hours on the road. Never had the flickering oil light on the 2000 v11 or the lemans.

90353[/snapback]

Do you mean F or C?

IMHO the 6000 mile service interval for oil is a bit long.

I suspect the last couple thousand miles of that interval, the oil is likely to run very thin at high temperatures, and I am surprised some people use 5,10,or15W40, although in cool climates it probably is fine.

The people getting milk shake on the inside of the valve covers may actually want to put a cover over their oil cooler in cooler months....and as Dan and Spectro suggest, getting the temperature over the water boiling point is a good idea....still it scares me how thin the oil is at that temperature.

But it is a Guzzi and it will be fine :mg: