Rear brake noise

svjj

On my 2000 v11 when I roll my bike out of the garage I get a groaning noise from the rear end. I put my bike on the shop stand and found the problem. It seem the pads drag when the brakes are cold or the bike sits for a peroid of time. If I ride the bike the noise goes away as soon as a little heat gets in to the brakes.

If I put pressure on the plastic cover on the front of the caliper the noise goes away untill I let go.

'

This all started just after I replaced the rear brake pads. Did I do something wrong? I have flushed, cleaned and exersied the rear brake caliper serveral times now, but that does not seem to cure my little problem.

any suggestions I dont want to replace or rebuild the caliper but I'm affraid thats were I am next. :angry:

any help or suggestions would be much apprich.

thanks

JJ

On my 2000 v11 when I roll my bike out of the garage  I get a groaning noise from the rear end. I put my bike on the shop stand and found the problem. It seem the pads drag when the brakes are cold or the bike sits for a peroid of time. If I ride the bike the noise goes away as soon as a little heat gets in to the brakes.

If I put pressure on the plastic cover on the front of the caliper the noise goes away untill I let go.

'

This all started just after I replaced the rear brake pads. Did I do something wrong? I have flushed, cleaned and exersied the rear brake caliper serveral times now, but that does not seem to cure my little problem. 

any suggestions I dont want to replace or rebuild the caliper but I'm affraid thats were I am next.  :angry:

any help or suggestions would be much apprich.

thanks

JJ

90306[/snapback]

JJ - don't worry about the groan - seems to be "normal" behaviour (my 2000 V11S has always done this when pushing the bike backwards- even after a ride). A good cleaning sometimes fixes the groan temporarily, but it always seems to return. Other than mild annoyance, I have found no other problem or excessive wear on the pads.

Gio

Thanks for the response. I do change the brake fluid about every 12-18 months. I had just changed the fluid and the pads right before this problem occured. I do not see any uneven wear or discoloring from the rotor yet :huh2:

I will do as you suggested Ratchet and dip the rotor in simple green over night and flush once again with brake clean. I'll see how it does. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help

JJ

Guest ratchethack
  Thanks for the help

JJ

Por nada, mi compadre.

JJ - Don't omit extending the brake pistons to expose the crud jammed in the groove between the pistons and calipers, which you can then easily brush out. If you do this - careful not to extend 'em too far! :o - you can clean right down to the seals. In my case, once thoroughly cleaned-out, they tend to stay trouble-free (& no back-up groan) for many thousands of miles. :sun:

BAA, TJM, & YMMV