Hesitation at low revs

george42

Proud owner of brand spanking new v11,could not find a dececent second hand one ,but found a good price on the end of line stock new one .It did break down on the way home ,but it is italien i suppose (battery faulty).Now done 500 miles and very pleased,but at low revs ,especially slight throttle 2500 rpm definate hesitation and jerkyness. Is this a trait of standard v11 if so i,ll put up with it.or somthing i should press on my dealer when it goes in for its 1000 mile service .Any idea what is a good price for first service ,manager there said about £200. seems a hell of a price to pay for an oil change and a check over. Rev counter mists up as well as the headlamp,throttle idle wont stay in position,Standard stuff i hear you all cry!!!!. If i wanted 100% swiss watch reliability i shouldnt have sold my old honda vtr1000 ,5 years and never a single problem,but does not look half as luvly as my new girl. Too bloody quiet though,will have to sort that out .GEORGE

Hi George

Welcome to the forum, I have no idea what a 1000 mile service is but i was £160 for a 6000 mile service, and what a difference that made, my stuff mists up as well but i choose to ignore it as its probably weather related up here, my bike before this was also a honda (vfr750) and i have a cb750 in the garage but guzzis are way better (hondas are sterile in comparison). Someone will be along shortly to give you a decent reply on your queries, meanwhile enjoy the ride. :race::mg:

Gary

You'll love her anyway. And guess, she won't age! BTW, most of the V11 I know don't show all those issues, or at least have overcome them.

Sorry, know no prices. As long as you have warranty the price for the service should be fixed, and any issues got sorted out for free.

After that time just make the service alone or with a friend.

Hubert

Guest Nogbad

The hesitation is quite frequently reported. Mine does it at 3800 ish rpm on a neutral / slightly trailing throttle. Apparently it's to do with the WM15M ECU and the way it can't handle backlash in the cam drive. If the bike is well tuned with balanced TBs it isn't so bad that you can't ride around it. To fix it completely probably requires Cliff's My15M ECU.

The hesitation is quite frequently reported. Mine does it at 3800 ish rpm on a neutral / slightly trailing throttle. Apparently it's to do with the WM15M ECU and the way it can't handle backlash in the cam drive. If the bike is well tuned with balanced TBs it isn't so bad that you can't ride around it. To fix it completely probably requires Cliff's My15M ECU.

90711[/snapback]

I had the same and hooking it up and synchronize did the trick...

Hi George.

It might be easiest to get the first service out the way and get them to look at those issues. After that you'll find it easier to do your own stuff.

The first thing is to make sure the bike is setup as per spec. That basically comes down to valves, TPS calibration and throttle balance. This can actually make a bike worse than before as each component has a variation and some bikes are unlucky enough to have all variation in one direction.

If you still have a problem ( pings, misses etc ) after that, then you should try a tweak. Turning the TPS a smidge one way from the calibrated position or the other may improve things.

Beyond that you're going to have to move to the third part addons which are basically the Power Commander, the Tuneboy or my own My15M.

Hi George.

It might be easiest  to get the first service out the way and get them to look at those issues. After that  you'll find it easier to do your own stuff.

The first thing is to make sure the bike is setup as per spec. That basically comes down to valves, TPS calibration and throttle balance. This can actually make a bike worse than before as each component has a variation and some bikes are unlucky enough to have all variation in one direction.

If you still have a problem ( pings, misses etc ) after that, then you should try a tweak. Turning the TPS a smidge one way from the calibrated position or the other may improve things.

Beyond that you're going to have to move to the third part addons which are basically the Power Commander, the Tuneboy or my own My15M.

90746[/snapback]

"Cept for the valves...run "World" or "RaceCo" specs...Factory specs are too tight..

I recommend you get the MotoGuzzi Titan silencer kit, which comes with a revised ECU/chip. This kit sorts out most glitches in a single stroke. I've got one, and this kit together with a properly adjusted injection system, just transforms the bike. Nice level of noise too.

And theres lots of other solutions to be found on these pages as well.

Now done 500 miles and very pleased,but at low revs ,especially slight throttle 2500 rpm definate hesitation and jerkyness. Is this a trait of standard v11 if so i,ll put up with it.or somthing i should press on my dealer when it goes in for its 1000 mile service .Any idea what is a good price for first service ,manager there said about £200. seems a hell of a price to pay for an oil change and a check over.

90701[/snapback]

Hi George,

I'd say it's a bit early to worry about low speed jerkiness until you at least get the 1st service out of the way - don't forget Guzzis have an extended running in period it was 12,000 miles plus before my EV really settled down. Tell the dealer about the problems and they should at least check out the TPS and throttle body balance.

2.5K revs are pretty low. Although it's a big ole V twin these motors like to rev and once you've cleared the initial running in rev restrictions then start to give it a handful - don't let the engine lug in the meantime.

Isn't the 1st service covered as part of the deal? I recollect that mine was apart from paying for the fluids.

Where in Somerset are you? i'm just over the border in Tiverton. If you haven't already signed up then the MGCGB is a very active and helpful club to join - excellent bi-monthly magazine 'Gambalunga'. Also a UK discussion group on the go at

Guzzi Forum

Cheers

Graham

Wow what a fantastic response . Will wait till the first service and get them to check out the throttle body settings ect, cliff mentioned pinging ,and i have noticed a bit ,so sounds like one is possibly out. Power comander goes to the top of my shop list,3 differant types,i guess the usb ign and fuel is the one to go for?. Does any one know if anyone makes an extender fender for front mudguard,first ride out on sat got drowned going over quantock hills ,and my brand new pride and joy looked liked it had been pulled through a field!.I live in stogursey ,near bridgwater ,graham. Must join up ,and go to some events,show off my 78 le mans mk2 with matching red and black sidecar,sacrilage you cry!!.GEORGE

Wow what a fantastic response . Will wait till the first service and get them to check out the throttle body settings ect, cliff mentioned pinging ,and i have noticed a bit ,so sounds like one is possibly out. Power comander goes to the top of my shop list,3 differant types,i guess the usb ign and fuel is the one to go for?. Does any one know if anyone makes an extender fender for front mudguard,first ride out on sat got drowned going over quantock hills ,and my brand new pride and joy looked liked it had been pulled through a field!.I live in stogursey ,near bridgwater ,graham. Must join up ,and go to some events,show off my 78 le mans mk2 with matching red and black sidecar,sacrilage you cry!!.GEORGE

90792[/snapback]

George,

Are you already a member of MGCGB? V Twin Rally August Bank Holiday weekend at Fordingbridge? Erin Rally weekend after next near Cork?

Graham

... Power comander goes to the top of my shop list,3 differant types,i guess the usb ign and fuel is the one to go for?

....GEORGE

90792[/snapback]

I bought TuneEdit from Wayne McDonald instead of the PowerCommander. Not that this PCIII is not a good product, but I'm quite sure it does not offer the oportunity to alter spark advance and other things. The additional weight would be no problem either, as I have removed the right mirror ;)

TuneEdit instead gives me total control over the entire mapping, plus the possibility to use PCIII maps and more. All the details on his homepage.

To make things short, I have it and with the help of it I converted a Ducati 900SS ecu into a perfect Titanium version for the V11. Just downloaded the proper map and that's it.

Hubert

Jack I last went to the v twin rally in shaftsbury 1991 (still got the badge ,sad eh !) kids and business allways seem to get in the way,this year allready booked that weekend but will definately join the MGCGB this year . Luhbo thanks for the info on tune edit,i would love to learn how to play and adjust the ecu specs ,i am in the car trade and run my own small mot @ repair business ,but have never ventured into the dark depths of re maping . Looks a bit daunting looking at your earlier thread on subject,more figures and settings that you could shake a stick at !!,but once got your head round it ,probably not too complicated :homer: maybe. GEORGE

The nice thing with TuneEdit is that you can have it as easy as woth PCIII, just apply and download the proper map. Or you can use all of the advanced options. It's totally up to you.

Hubert