Touring Western USA

Guzzirider

On 1st July, Helen and I will be flying to LA and a few days later, will begin a 3000 mile motorcycle tour (map attached).

I would very much appreciate some advice as to what clothing to pack- I was intending to take:

Leather Jacket

Armoured denim jeans

Lightweight summer boots

Roof Boxer flip up helmet

Summer gloves

Waterproofs

I know it gets cold at night in the desert, but will we need any winter riding gear if we are riding mainly in the daytime?

What will the climate be like in the mountains that time of year?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

cheers

Guy :helmet:

outlaw.jpg

your clothing looks right. It could be chilly in places, but heat will be a bigger concern most of the time--even in the mountains.

A couple of questions:

1) From San Luis Obispo to Salinas you're taking Interstate 101. Why not take the MUCH better highway 1 along the coast? If you insist on staying inland, at least consider taking CA-25, instead.

2) You're showing a route from Needles down to Blythe and then Interstate 10 all the way to Los Angeles. Unless you really have a reason for doing that, you might consider dropping down old route-66 to Amboy, and then down to Joshua Tree National Park. This will also take you by Amboy Crater, and give you more interesting options through the park.

Cold isn't the problem- heat is.

I suspect it might be too warm even for leathers. I would suggest taking the lightest fleece pullover you can find and use that in conjunction with your rain gear and/or a vented (i.e. joe rocket) jacket.

I would also suggest wearing long sleeve cotton work shirts. They allow sweat to evaporate more slowly and keep you cooler- plus they will protect you from the sun, which will be fierce. Pick up a bandana (I know- it sounds goofy), and wet it occasionally to help keep cool.

Also, I take toilet paper. In addition to the obvious, you can use it as a sunblock around your face if you start to get burnt. Think 'invisible man'.

And allow for some water. Lots more than you imagine.

I totally agree with Daniel- stay OFF the major highways. Highway 1 is beautiful, but slow. When you get into LA, try to stop by Mark Ethridge's shop "moto guzzi classics' just off the 1 in Signal Hill. He's a trip, and the bikes he has are just beautiful.

I've ridden much of that route, and it will be hot. Camelbacks are a good idea. When I did one of those "1000 miles in 24 hour" rides, I was filling up a 2 liter camelback everytime I filled up the tank on my Concours.

This is just my opinion but...

the section of Pacific Coast Highway north of the Golden Gate Bridge is probably the best stretch of road anywhere on the planet :)

you would be remiss to travel all that way and not do at least a bit of it.

my suggestion (if you're short on time) is to go at least as far north as Highway 128, then turn southeast towards the Napa wine growing region. The coastal section is absolutely gorgeous. Highway 128 cuts through some lush redwood groves and is also very nice.

I've ridden in lots of countries and I've yet to find a road that matches the Pacific Coast Highway for scenery, weather & twisties :bike:

I would highly suggest taking 89A south out of Flagstaff and experiencing Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. Not to be missed. Really. Then backtrack back up the way you came back to Flagstaff and continue your trip.

Thank you very much for the advice guys!

Reckon I may pack my lightweight breathable fabric bike gear rather than take the leather and jeans.

I rode from Darwin to Melbourne a few years ago right through the centre of the Australia so I know what its like to be very warm on a bike.

I'll check out your route recommendations too.

cheers

Guy :thumbsup:

If you like to get an early start, you may experience big temp changes during the day. Also when by the Ocean be prepared for anything from 50 to 90.

"The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco" Mark Twain

Last year I lead a ride from Hollister down 25 and through Fort Hunter Ligget to the coast. Went from mid 60's to over 100 degrees and then down to about 55 (with a cold ocean breeze) near Big Sur. The 100 to 55 part happened in less than 30 miles.

I often wear 3-4 thin layers under my jacket and peel them off as things warm up. Long sleeve tee made of the fancy moisture wicking material as a base layer makes a big difference.

Guest golden goose

That time of year in the Great Basin and the Colorado Plateau, I recommend taking along a hi-tech, sophisticated, but nonetheless simplistic accessory. Water. Use it to soak down your T-shirt (did I mention to bring a few of these along?). The heat of enthalpy will cause evaporation of the water commensurate with the degree of saturation if you gauge the ambient temperature finely in regards to the amount of water you and your lady decide to use. It is likely to be witheringly hot on certain parts of your ride according to your map and time of matriculation. This practice is not particularly recommended for the high country or the coast. However, it has served me well over 25 years of riding the wild west in summer.........

P.S. Wear other things that have dyes that are not water soluble.

On 1st July,...a 3000 mile motorcycle tour (map attached).

I would very much appreciate some advice as to what clothing to pack- I was intending to take:

Leather Jacket-Armoured denim jeans-Lightweight summer boots-Roof Boxer-

Summer gloves-Waterproofs

I know it gets cold at night in the desert, but will we need any winter riding gear if we are riding mainly in the daytime?

What will the climate be like in the mountains that time of year?

90725[/snapback]

Weather will be hot, mostly dry. The only place you're likely to need any sort of rain gear will be on the coast, at higher elevations in the Sierras, & on the AZ part of your loop. So your packing list looks about right.

As others have pointed out, it makes no sense whatsoever to go up the 101 between San Luis Obispo & Salinas, when you can just take Hwy 1 and experience some of the best justification for taking a motorcycle tour vs. caging it!

Also, what's with the big chunk of miles in Nevada? You *like* flat, hot desert? That same segment could be spent tooling down US 395, which would take you past Mammoth mtn. & Lone Pine (which is a must see area if you're into classic US westerns...) As far as the tour thru Utah's Canyonlands (looks like you're trying to loop thru Zion, Grand Escalante & then loop down to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon), all I've got to say is: you're already passing the North Rim, & if you miss it while you're there then you should just give up now! The South Rim is awe inspiring, has all the great photo ops, etc. etc., but the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon is one of those stops that you'll always want to return to. 'Nuff said!

You should have a great time. Enjoy!

:bike:

I would highly suggest taking 89A south out of Flagstaff and experiencing Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona. Not to be missed. Really. Then backtrack back up the way you came back to Flagstaff and continue your trip.

90776[/snapback]

Yeah a major ditto on that one. Flagstaff to Sedona, a road not to be missed. I lived on the Oak Creek canyon for 6 months, motorcyling nirvana that is if you don't crash rubber necking the scenery. For an Aussie lost in the wilderness that was one place I wished I'd had my v11. Go and do it.

• 2 weeks later...

We're up in Pacific Palisades, right off of PCH (HWY1), you get there by rocking the 10 out to santa monica and staying on the road. Feel free to give us a holler if you're out this way!

...and we're at the other end of the state (California).

If you do decide to follow Orson's good advice (and you should) to ride up the PCH north of San Francisco do plan a night (or two) on the northern coast, in the heart of redwood country in Eureka. My wife and I live here and would be happy to put you up in our spare room (double bed, private bath, laundry facilities, etc.).

We live in the heart of some of the best motorcycling roads in the world and our guest room is yours for the asking. So do it. ;)

Thanks again guys! :thumbsup:

Normally when we go touring we just follow our noses and pitch a tent wherever we can, but for this trip we are on an organised route with hotels booked along so I guess we won't be doing many deviations. There is even a vehicle following a few hours behind with all our luggage- lazy or what?

The luxury thing is a bit of a treat to Helen who has been brilliant to me over the last year or so and has had to endure some testing times.

Not sure at the moment exactly where we will be at any given time but I will be keeping an eye out for Guzzi riders for sure.

Cheers again

Guy :helmet: