Broken Scura - Again

Guest speedtrifle

Guest speedtrifle

I am now on my second Scura since August '02. The first one's clutch became intolerably noisy after 1500 miles and after 5 months of the shop failing to fix it I was given a new one under warranty 4 weeks ago.

It's now stuck in 4th gear and they took it away yesterday. I love the bike but am getting very frustrated.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Speedtrifle,

This is indeed bad news and I wish you speedy resolution of your problems.

Where are you living?

I have seen reports from the Aussi site of Scura's requiring clutches but have no first hand knowledge as my Scura is running fine (exept for my ohlins front forks leaking and being currently stripped in my shed).

I have just 10,000km travelled and was thinking of doing a trip to the Guzzi birthsite Mandello this July for the festivities, a round trip of about 4,000km in total. I'm going to rely on that 24 hour roadside assistance that came with the bike.

Regards,

Another John

Scura #150 :P

The gear level thing is the failing of a $14 spring in the gearbox not a big deal getting one out of MGNA could be a problem. Local spring manufacture is usally happy to help. Don't even need to pull the gear box for that one anymore ethier. Intolerably niosy? the clutches on guzzis are dry and make a bit of niose anyway did it still operate? Just kinda strikes me as a strange problem.

I got the clutch replaced at about 7000 miles. It was so noisy by then that even the dealer thought we should immediately investigate in case something was going to fly out through the casing! I got it replaced on warranty but I can hear it going that way again though I won't worry about it so much this time - it's just going to sound bad, that's all (if it gets intolerable I'm sure I could fit one of the standard clutches.) The gearbox selector spring went at 9500 miles - at about the same time as the torque arm drifting off and one of the Ohlins fork seals leaking. I have got warranty claims in for these now.

BTW, I'm running the bike with an O-ring instead of the selector hook spring - the gearchange feels even lighter! I may consider leaving it that way!

Roberto,

The clutch you had replaced at 7,000 miles because it was noisy - what condition was it in? Was there anything worn or broken?

Mine is rattly as hell at 2,000 miles but seems to work OK. Do I have to look at it?

----------------------

KB, Wales

02 Scura

Roberto,

I am interested to.

I hasa rattling like something is loose in the clutch housing :huh2: ,

it would be interestng to know the probable cause,

so I know if I can ride it to the upcoming service or

has to fix it myself before that.

I don't think you need to worry... There were no parts to fly off in the clutch - it was just really noisy when in neutral with the lever disengaged. I checked the fit of the parts and there was quite a bit of slop between the friction plate and the central gear - that could be it.:huh2: Otherwise, everything looked OK.

My theory, for what it's worth:

The single clutch friction plate runs on a central splined gear. When there is no load on the drivetrain, (when in neutral or sometimes when cruising at low speed), the plate can rattle on the splines. As the clutch plate is in the same position when you are not pulling the lever, the wear on these splines gets worse at this point - and the rattle gets worse! Of course, when you pull the lever, the plate is pushed on to a less worn part of the spline and the whole thing is under more tension from the spring - so the rattle disappears. I now put the bike in neutral while sitting at lights (for safety), but keep the lever pulled in - I guess is, when it's not making the noise, it's not wearing the spline at that point. It may last a bit longer this time. :huh:

Anyway, don't worry, if it gets really bad see if you can get a replacement. I could see no danger - it's a very simple clutch. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest borisv11

Hi Speedtrifle,

sorry for my english, i´m german :mellow:

The problem of the gear spring is a common problem from the 2002 V11 series (all scuras are build within 2002). There were an error during the harden process. And as an add on, the radius of the lower spring arm is to small. This leads to the break. MG German replied to me, that this damage happens less than 3% of all V11. But this can´t be true. If you´re looking into the european V11 Forums, you will see, that a lot of 2002 series owners have the same problem. Some of us helped themselves by building an own spring. They took a spoke of a bicycle and uses a greater radius. This guys doesen´t have problems anymore. MG german will give you a new gearbox cover after your third broken spring. (I just had my second break). If you can get a spring from a newer date, this could help you also. When you feel, changing the gear lead not to the next leve but into neutral, the next break is getting closer. Another index is, when the neutral light doesent appears. Because the spring is not strong enough to press the neutral sensor.

But ist isn´t to difficult to change the spring by yourself. It needs 1 hour to change it. By the way, the springs price in germany is 1,5€ (2$).

Greetings from Bavaria

Boris