ECU incosistent

mdude

These days I have been riding quite a lot, nearly every day in different weather, and I have begun to notice that the bikes performance is different every time I start it up.

On saturday: we had great dry weather, nearly 30C, sun and all. I did some cruising round town and the bike got very hot, but still it performed flawlessly. pulled hard, ticked over steadily, no hesitation. vibrated less too. A lot of stop and go, taking in bike shops and cappucinos.

Yesterday early morning: slight morning fog, about 15C, chilly. 10 mile run to meeting. It vibrated, accelerated with the vigour of an hibernating sloth, it did not stop or sputter but I feel that I was down at least 20% in torque and hp. Some days the Guzzi just wants to be left alone, doesnt it?

Yesterday evening, bike meet: dried up, about 23C. Better than in the morning, smoother running, but still hesitant to accelerate and not very lively, it feels like an engine that rather would be in the garage sleeping. Jerky throttle reactions and all. not much go.

I dont see a pattern here, because the feeling of a smooth and strong bike from saturday is what I'm used to. It feels like that generally. I have read what mr MyECU says a about incosistency but I'd like to get some other opinions about this, Anyone felt this, or is it just me and my highly developed TA (Technical Anxiety). Is this just what you need to get used to?

I got the Titanium ECU by the way, and the bike is stored in an airconditioned environment.

Can it be that the ECU senses the constant air temp and humidity in my garage, and then get all confused when the outside environment is different? Should I let it sit outside for some minutes before I start?

The little gnome that runs the ECU, where on the bike is his quarters. I want to flush him out and give him a good spanking!

:2c: tether the bitch outdoors till it behaves. :grin:

These days I have been riding quite a lot, nearly every day in different weather, and I have begun to notice that the bikes performance is different every time I start it up.

On saturday: we had great dry weather, nearly 30C, sun and all. I did some cruising round town and the bike got very hot, but still it performed flawlessly. pulled hard, ticked over steadily, no hesitation. vibrated less too. A lot of stop and go, taking in bike shops and cappucinos.

Yesterday early morning: slight morning fog, about 15C, chilly. 10 mile run to meeting. It vibrated, accelerated with the vigour of an hibernating sloth, it did not stop or sputter but I feel that I was down at least 20% in torque and hp. Some days the Guzzi just wants to be left alone, doesnt it?

Yesterday evening, bike meet: dried up, about 23C. Better than in the morning, smoother running, but still hesitant to accelerate and not very lively, it feels like an engine that rather would be in the garage sleeping. Jerky throttle reactions and all. not much go.

I dont see a pattern here, because the feeling of a smooth and strong bike from saturday is what I'm used to.  It feels like that generally. I have read what mr MyECU says a about incosistency but I'd like to get some other opinions about this, Anyone felt this, or is it just me and my highly developed TA (Technical Anxiety). Is this just what you need to get used to?

I got the Titanium ECU by the way, and the bike is stored in an airconditioned environment.

Can it be that the ECU senses the constant air temp and humidity in my garage, and then get all confused when the outside environment is different? Should I let it sit outside for some minutes before I start?

The little gnome that runs the ECU, where on the bike is his quarters. I want to flush him out and give him a good spanking!

92182[/snapback]

I can relate Mdude, like you my experience with the bike was like a multiple engine personality disorder (more/less vibration, flat spot, inconsistencies etc etc) but I wanted to accept it as just another one of those guzzi character building things and spent too much time balancing throttle bodies, messing with the idle settings and adjusting the tps settings. The gnome will finally behave if jacked into a PC111. The inconsistent response mostly goes away. Happy wrenching.

Kaput

Check your battery to make sure it is in good condition. A tired battery will have an effect on the ECU.

92369[/snapback]

...and check the charging system, too.

Don't underestimate a good tuneup.

But yah, some geese are a little too off and need the TLC of Mr. MY15, or Ms. PC, or that TuneBoy kid, or one of the other alternatives.

Did you try switching back to the stock ECU?

At least I don't feel so alone now. Once in a while my LeMans runs great, but very often it will have a bad day and vibrate, sputter and even stall on occasion pulling up to a stop. I've tried everything and its a little exasparating (sic??) to say the least. I tried the My15M and it ran like a raped ape for a day. Since I didn't feed the aforementioned ape its meds the next time I rode it the bike ran like crap! I've tried the PCIII USB and was rewarded with similar schizo behaviour. I've had it re-mapped twice by two different dealers and its still not spot on. The guy that did the most recent map said that there's no compensation in the system for things like hot, humid weather and mentioned something about running two different maps. To me that is not a convenient approach and is utterly unacceptable. I've also pondered the possibility that maybe something else in the system is at fault like the fuel pump or pressure regulator, but the fact that it almost always acts up at part throttle (3500-4000 RPM) leads me to believe that its still the ECU causing the problem(s). In general it runs a little better since I changed the TPS to the Harley version, reset it for the proper voltage and sync'ed the TB's with a TwinMax unit. I always knew that earlier Guzzis were quirky beasts and I had hoped that they got it right with the V11, but I don't think so.

Got a Titanio ECU on my Coppa as well and I am having my share of issues.First it developed a off idle to 3k rpm cruising speed miss which was diagnosed by the local dealer as a bad TPS. Got that replaced under warranty by Moto International( thanks Micha) .When I unstalled it according to spec,( 45/475 mvdc) set the throttle bodies, adjusted Both air bypass to 1 turn out, with CO trimmed at 3%, it still had a bit of a hiccup off idle..Reset the TPS at 150 mvdc and it got somewhat better .now I am running the stock ECU while the Titanio is at MI being checked out and re trimmed...the bike runs more or less the same, just does not pull as well from 5k till 7.5krpm rpm like the Titanio does...

Don't recognise you from your alias. When did you try one of my units?

Also just trying it is touch and go without the required setup.

Your symtoms really sound like you have some other issue, either TPS or temp sensor.

If you can get hold of the My15M and the ECUController software you have the best chance to diagnose the issue.

Could also be a relay issue, why don't you swap them around.

Don't recognise you from your alias. When did you try one of my units?

Also just trying it is touch and go without the required setup.

Your symtoms really sound like you have some other issue, either TPS or temp sensor.

If you can get hold of the My15M and the ECUController software you have the best chance to diagnose the issue.

Could also be a relay issue, why don't you swap them around.

92488[/snapback]

I don't think that mdude means he is running your C.U., Cliff, He's just referring to your comments about (standard?) ECUs.

Seems to be running a MG Titanium 'race' kit ECU. With what? Stock 2001 set-up – air box / x-over / pipes, or with other mods?

I don't think that mdude means he is running your C.U., Cliff, He's just referring to your comments about (standard?) ECUs.

Seems to be running a MG Titanium 'race' kit ECU. With what? Stock 2001 set-up – air box / x-over / pipes, or with other mods?

92503[/snapback]

Hi Cliff. BFG is correct, I just read your comments. Since I have a stock ECU lying on the shelf I'm thinking hard about shipping it down under to have it fixed. Just have to count my money.

I run Ti's + Mistral Xover (for mid-range grunt, mid range is where I live), stock everything else. Another thing is that I dont understand squat about mapping, and would like any fixes to be more or less bolt-on or completely self-explanatory

FYI: took the bike out again on Saturday, it was blazing hot outside and the bike ran like a scolded cat... So hot is good.

FYI: took the bike out again on Saturday, it was blazing hot outside and the bike ran like a scolded cat... So hot is good.

92576[/snapback]

Some have discussed using a resistor to trick the ECU into believing the temperature sensor is reading higher.

Switching to the brass sensor mount used on the V1100sporti might give a warmer reading :huh2:

But maybe your engine just has to get warmer :huh2: