rear end lubrication..

Guest Le Man

Guest Le Man

Notice!! This is not an engine oil thread!!

But I do need to know what to put in the final drive @ the 1K service.

It needs to be something I can get from the local Autozone, my dealer is not very close and doesn't stock much anyway. BTW I also need the name of a good dealer that I can get my parts from..I would rather it be in the USA. I haven't had much luck dealing outside the country. (UK isn't too bad)

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

I usually order through MG Cycles, really fast and super nice. They carry the moly additive and also factory oil filters and anything else you need for your Guzzi. You can pick up Redline Synthetic 90 wt. or even Mobil One 90wt. at most auto parts stores. That is what I use with the moly additive in both my transmission and bevel box.

The other Mike

So are the SAE W/90, 80W/90, 75W/90 and 85W/140 all essentially interchangeable?

I put mobil 1 75W/90 in the gear box and it shifts smoother than ever. I have not missed a shift since switching to it from whatever synthetic the dealer put in.

But, I may be getting that slipping clutch symtom....

Perhaps I should switch to something of a higher viscosity??????

David,

I believe all that you have listed will be ok in Sunny California. I am not sure you should use the 85w/140, leave that on the shelf for the Harley crowd. :lol: The 75w/90 is a multi viscosity and is what i use. The reason for using a 75w/90 over the straight 90wt is that when the temperture is cold (freezing), there will be better lubrication than with a straight 90wt and the shifting will also be easier when in the winter months.

Mike

Guest Le Man

Mike,

Thanks for the input! Can you give me just a bit more info on MG Cycles?

I know the moly additive is required for the final drive. Would it be good to put it in the gearbox as well?

Thanks other Mike