Exhaust removal

slug

Howdy everyone,

I need to pull the exhaust off the starboard side (can never remember which right side of the bike is the right right side :wacko: ) of the bike so I can weld a bung on for an 02 sensor.

Any hints, warnings, sage advice before pulling the pipe off the head? Is it common to break the studs?

Guest ratchethack

Slug, it's straightforward, and the stab'd side comes off same's the port. . . . ;)

The exhaust studs in the heads seem very wimpy to me and I know that several posters (somewhere - can't remember :blush: ) have broken 'em off.

Just be careful not to tweak 'em in the process and you should be fine.

Alternately, an E-Z-Out is y'er New Best Pal. . . . :doh:

Slug, it's straightforward, and the stab'd side comes off same's the port. . . . ;)

The exhaust studs in the heads seem very wimpy to me and I know that several posters (somewhere - can't remember :blush: ) have broken 'em off.

Just be careful not to tweak 'em in the process and you should be fine.

Alternately, an E-Z-Out is y'er New Best Pal. . . .  :doh:

92659[/snapback]

Thanks Mr. Hack,

Just wanted to be safe...

Maybe while I have the pipes off I can install those new titanium nitride coated muffler bearings :D

Howdy everyone,

I need to pull the exhaust off the starboard side (can never remember which right side of the bike is the right right side  :wacko: ) of the bike so I can weld a bung on for an 02 sensor.

Any hints, warnings, sage advice before pulling the pipe off the head?  Is it common to break the studs?

92657[/snapback]

Remember to have any "loose but attached" bits on the correct side of the bung before you weld it on. Check twice, weld once......