Ceramic coating problems

sctt2525

After seeing the BOTM two months ago (really sweet silver sport with matte black ceramic coat pipes) I was happy to fork over the $125 to get my pipes coated. Got them back Saturday, waited till Sunday to install (per the guy's instructions) and ran them for 1 Hr (per the guy's instructions). This morning (Tuesday) pulled the Billybob out of the garage and noticed about ten percent of the coating missing. You can actually just rub this stuff off with your thumb.

Was this a high dollar spray paint job or what?

Anybody with a similar experience?

Oh, I'm going back this PM to get (perhaps beat) my $$$ back from the guy.

Sctt

Guest ratchethack

Scott, there are lots of patents on ceramic coatings, and of course everybody claims theirs is the best. I've used Jet-Hot on my offroad thumper exhaust very successfully with tremendous long-term durability.

Jet-Hot has fabulous customer service, quick turn-around, and will send you a VCR tape of their entire process with a quote.

Guys,

This stuff flakes off like really old paint....on glass.

I'm told maybe a problem with the way it was prepped, I dunno, I'd be happy now to get it back the way it was.

I looked into Jet-hot, but was really looking forward to keeping this local- turn around, shipping costs, handling problems :doh: etc.

I talked to the guy this evening, typical response- wants to call the mfg. We'll see I guess.

Lesson learned,

sctt

Guest ckamin

Thanks for the compliment of my V11 Naked (BOTM a few back).

I had my pipes done by Jet Hot. I had read some reviews of their work in some magazines (I forget if they were automotive or motorcycle magazines) and they all raved about the work and quality. My experience has been on par with the magazines- very happy! I have maybe 2000 miles or so miles on the pipes and they look like they just came out of the box. They coated both my header pipes and the Stucchi crossover.

HPC (High Performance Coatings- find them on the internet) also does ceramic coatings and got some favorable published reviews. It was a toss-up for me between them and Jet Hot, and I don't recall why I chose one over the other.

Your concern about cost? I paid the same amount (roughly $125-$150) and had them on my doorstep in just under 2 weeks, as promised..........

Sorry to hear about your experience. What did they use, black bbq paint??

CK,

Bbq paint would have held on MUCH better. Heck, Kmart cheap stuff woulda held on better. With 85 miles on it I'd say well over 10% is gone already.

It wasn't price so much, but convenience, as to why I went with these folks. You see, I pass by this place twice a day on my way to work. This made it seem like a breeze. I'm thinkin maybe steel wool the rest of this crap off and send them to Jet hot in the fall.

BTW, I didn't say nearly enough about how nice your sport is- REALLY does look great! I couldn't find it in the gallery though. Where did the pics go?

Sctt

Guest ckamin

You pass by the place 2 times a day going to and from work? Gee, the term "molotov cocktail" comes to mind......

I don't know where the photos went, but if you need a few for reference points I'd be glad to send you a few. Just put about 100 miles on it the other day and hd a blast!

Take care!

http://www.jet-hot.com/

http://www.hpcoatings.com/

Above are the two links I mentioned....

• 4 weeks later...

my Centauro that I acquired recently had a ceramic coating treatment -- don't know who from-- but it looks terrible - kind of brown. I've contacted jet coatings and got a quote to re-do my headers in their silver look. Don't know why whatever coating didn't work in the first place - neither did the previous owner...

DSCF0008.JPG

I tried the cheap route and had mine powdercoated black here locally in Fallon. Didn't last 10 minutes and flaked off as well. I'm going to either stick it out till winter, and then send them to Jet-hot, or just use some black header wrap that I had planned for my Chevy. But for sure, powdercoating didn't hold for me.