Trans Bolt help

badmotogoozer

Looking again at the missing bolt in my trans I started to get a suspicion that it is external rather than internal.

The bolt I'm missing is about an inch below the trans filler and directly to the rear. The first bolt you come to is missing. Is this a bolt that screws in from the inside (like the other two on that seal) or does it screw in from the outside (bolt head is visible)? If it is external I might have a lot less work to do to get the bird flying again. A leak I can deal with but if there is a bolt munching around the trans then I'll be grounded until I open the thing up.

It is a 2001 Spurt

thanks,

Rj

Guest ratchethack

Ryan, that'd be a 5 X ~30 mm socket-head that screws in from the outside. It evidently took to hankerin' f'er the open road at some point. . . . . . ;)

IMHO, best threadlock all of 'em you can get to. . . . .

BAA, TJM & YMMV

Ryan, that'd be a 5 X ~30 mm socket-head that screws in from the outside.  It evidently took to hankerin' f'er the open road at some point. . . . . . ;)

IMHO, best threadlock all of 'em you can get to. . . . .

BAA, TJM & YMMV

92971[/snapback]

:) woohoo! Thanks ratchet! Just about everything has rattled off the bike at some point. I red loctite em back on again as they come off...

That's good news! The mountain of work just got a fair bit smaller.

cheers,

Rj

Guest ratchethack
:) woohoo!  Thanks ratchet!  Just about everything has rattled off the bike at some point.  I red loctite em back on again as they come off...

Er, best use Loctite Red only for studs & bearings, Ryan. . . . . If you ever need to take a steel bolt out of a cast aluminum case that's been properly Loctited with Red, unless there's also a good amount of oil in there, there's a better than even chance all the aluminum threads'll be coming out with it. . . . .

Please don't ask how I know this. . . . . . :bbblll:

Go Blue into aluminum, man. :thumbsup:

(or as they say in Ann Arbor, "Blow Goo!") :doh: