Weird Guzzi letter

Guest parvo

Guest parvo

I just got a letter from Guzzi thanking me for buying one of their motorcycles (even though I bought it eight months ago.)

The letter and envelope have large symbols for Guzzi, Aprilia and Laverda. Does this mean that Piaggio is planning a return of Laverda to the U.S.?javascript:emoticon(':huh2:')

I just got a letter from Guzzi thanking me for buying one of their motorcycles (even though I bought it eight months ago.)

The letter and envelope have large symbols for Guzzi, Aprilia and Laverda. Does this mean that Piaggio is planning a return of Laverda to the U.S.?javascript:emoticon(':huh2:')

92976[/snapback]

they have one in the works similar to the MGS in style and pricing, actually I think it costs more and is uglier than the MGS pretty sure this is it.

2_01.jpg

Piaggio inherited the rights to Laverda when they took over Aprilia, who purchased right beforehand.

The picture above showing the last prototype by Aprilia before they went under, was made before they took over Moto Guzzi. Basically a repainted Mille, complete with Rotax v-twin.

IMO, as I am a serious Laverdisti, I would welcome a resurgence of Laverda as a purchasable machine. But, just as I call a new Triumph a Hinckley Triumph, and a new Norton [if they ever show up] as a Dreer Norton, any Laverda would have a new confirmation of non-original origin, like the upstart Zane Laverdas of the early to mid '90's.

As for the picture above and it's technical specifications, I consider it a complete thumb in the eye to anyone remotely interested in Laverdas. Just as Moto Guzzi has over the years used several engine layouts, most with success, they have however been typecast [good and bad] as a shaft drive inline v-twin. With this in mind, Laverda also employed many different engine layouts, but is most noteworthy for the inline 3 cylinder, in 120 and 180 degree firing order. Any resurgence in the Laverda name would have to use this layout, or risk virtually zero sales to current Laverdisti. The v-twin would not be accepted, but might attract new Laverda owners.

Ciao, Steve G.

I agree completely.

Laverda production, (should it start again) should be unique engine designs not shared with other Piagio lines. It should be relatively easy to design a triple as there are several out there ie: Triumph and Binelli, choose the features and layout that would work in a Piagio designed engine.

I have to admit that I would kill for my own Lynx prototype even with the Susuki 650 engine!

That bike looks soooooo hot!

By the way Norton is DEAD. The guy who was resurecting to brand has no more money to start up full mfg. operations and all the marketing, dealer support, etc to go any further. Has returned all deposits. Too bad as it seemed to be fairly faithful to the origional.

:ninja::ninja::ninja:

I agree completely.

Laverda production, (should it start again) should be unique engine designs not shared with other Piagio lines. It should be relatively easy to design a triple as there are several out there ie: Triumph and Binelli, choose the features and layout that would work in a Piagio designed engine.

I have to admit that I would kill for my own Lynx prototype even with the Susuki 650 engine!

That bike looks soooooo hot!

By the way Norton is DEAD. The guy who was resurecting to brand has no more money to start up full mfg. operations and all the marketing, dealer support, etc to go any further. Has returned all deposits.  Too bad as it seemed to be fairly faithful to the origional.

:ninja:  :ninja:  :ninja:

93035[/snapback]

My buddy just got his deposit back last week. I honestly don't know how he was going to get it DOT'd [department of transport certification] in this country, but it was a sweet looking thing. I must admit to longing for a chance to buy some of Kenny Dreer's body work, which will fit on the old orginial Norton Commando's. A couple years ago Cycle World editor David Edwards showed up at a fairly large vintage bike rally in Seattle [Vashon TT] with Kenny. Edwards was riding a standard Commando with Dreer bodywork. It was a show stopper!!

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest Barnapkin

The funny thing about the Norton, and many of the "standard" bikes, is that there really is a market for them as the gap between starter bikes and race-track-superbikes widens. The Norton prototypes were the best looking standard out there. My friends don't understand it when I call a bike a good street bike, and others race bikes. It's not a retro thing.