Is this a good deal?

daveco2

Hi all,

I just found an 02 LeMans for $6K and wondered if the deal made sense.

It has 3,000 miles, but looks like it was left outside and has some corrosion and a little rust. It also has the flaking black crinkle paint on the crankcase.

Does the paint flaking take place on all the similarly painted surfaces, for example on the drive shaft cover extension, or is the flaking limited to the engine itself? Would the flaking be a deal killer if I were to sell the bike later? To me it doesn't matter that much, but is it a big deal to the average Guzzi owner?

This would be my first Guzzi.

Thanks for any comments,

Dave

If it's been left outside, depending on salt etc, there is a good chance the paint will lift from the bevel box and a few ancillary pieces. I seen parts that have been resprayed using the Harley engine paint and have looked good.

But 3,000 miles is nothing, but the bike is approaching 4 years old. With that few miles its possible that all the niggles haven't materalised and you'll have to sort them out.

It all depends are you going to look at it or ride it? Do you expect to keep it a short while and sell it on without losing too much money. You could put 5K on over the next year and not lose too much keep it any longer or any more miles and the price will plummet.

I think Guzzi are really a long term bike, you've been looking for/considering one for a long time. You need to decide is a V11 right for you and get one soon, they're a finite stock and reducing. You've been around long enough to have seen most of the problems that crop up, if that hasn't scared you off all well and good, if it causes you doubts consider a Griso/Breva but that will be obviously far more expensive as new.

This is only my opion based on only ever buying a few bikes and run them all into the ground. My Lemans is 3 years old and has 26k miles year round and is again poorly.

offer him 5 firm, the miles are low but the rust and flaking aren't so cool, he should have had thbe flaking addressed, get the harley paint and respray it. Like martin said they are a good investment for a long term relationship i.e. buy it for 5k have it 15 years put on 50,000-100,000 miles and sell it for $4-5,000 depending on if you kept it on decent condition. :huh2: but keep it a year and put 10k on it and you might be able to off load it for 4k with your 6k plus niggles invested :huh2:

they are definatly a long haul bike right now, want a quick turn thats a harley or a honda :thumbsup:

You guys make a lot of good points that I didn't consider.

Well, I confess I do love to look at Guzzis, but my main interest is in riding. As far as that's concerned, I figure I have maybe 5-7 years left, being 63 years old now. I guess I'd like the experience of riding a Guzzi. It would sure be neat if I could do that without a huge investment. If I could get the bike for $5K and sell it in a couple of years for $4K, then I would consider it a good deal for the riding pleasure.

One other thing I've heard is that the 02 models had a problem with vapor lock. Is that very common or is it possible I could dodge that bullet with this bike; but if I had to fix the problem, is it hard to do?

Any other common niggles, like maybe questionable relays, etc?

Thanks again,

Dave

You guys make a lot of good points that I didn't consider.

Well, I confess I do love to look at Guzzis, but my main interest is in riding. As far as that's concerned, I figure I have maybe 5-7 years left, being 63 years old now. I guess I'd like the experience of riding a Guzzi. It would sure be neat if I could do that without a huge investment. If I could get the bike for $5K and sell it in a couple of years for $4K, then I would consider it a good deal for the riding pleasure.

One other thing I've heard is that the 02 models had a problem with vapor lock. Is that very common or is it possible I could dodge that bullet with this bike; but if I had to fix the problem, is it hard to do?

Any other common niggles, like maybe questionable relays, etc?

Thanks again,

Dave

93890[/snapback]

Dave, you sound like the kind of future guzzi owner that would rather ride than wrench. I recommend you look for an '03 LeMans or newer. The '03 model year LeMans has most of the niggles of previous years fixed. You may be able to find an '03 for very close to $6,000. If not, look for an '02 that has been taken care of.

I know J.N. Smythe who celebrated his 80something birthday recently. Still riding. I hope to be riding when I'm in my eighties as well- so it's possible that you have another 20 years. In that case, a Guzzi makes a lot of sense. The big drawback or question for the Le Mans models is the riding position. If you like it, then great. If it doesn't fit, then maybe one of the cruisers might fit better- they are also very good runners.

Vapor lock shows up on some bikes and not on others- I don't think there is a definitive fix yet for those afflicted. Mostly it depends on where you live- hot weather is bad, and short trips in hot weather is really bad.

Relays should be taken care of by '02 but you could order a set from Dan Prunske just to be safe.

His website is: http://www.dpguzzi.com/

Orangeokie makes a good point, though. If you don't want to deal with the hassles, then by a one later year model.

I know J.N. Smythe who celebrated his 80something birthday recently.  Still riding.  I hope to be riding when I'm in my eighties as well- so it's possible that you have another 20 years.  In that case, a Guzzi makes a lot of sense. The big drawback or question for the Le Mans models is the riding position.  If you like it, then great.  If it doesn't fit, then maybe one of the cruisers might fit better- they are also very good runners.

Vapor lock shows up on some bikes and not on others- I don't think there is a definitive fix yet for those afflicted.  Mostly it depends on where you live- hot weather is bad, and short trips in hot weather is really bad.

Relays should be taken care of by '02 but you could order a set from Dan Prunske just to be safe. 

His website is: http://www.dpguzzi.com/

Orangeokie makes a good point, though.  If you don't want to deal with the hassles, then by a one later year model.

93913[/snapback]

or an older one like a 00' they should be pretty well taken care of but I don't think they had lemans back then, was 02 the first year of the lemans I forget? but I've had almost no problems after I got new relays only thing is a leaky front fork, any other running problems I caused on my own and have not seen any vapor lock problem and the summers here are horrid at times rush hours gives me some pops but thats all. :huh2:

overall these things are near bullet proof and will almost never leave you stranded, if you really want to never be stranded get a BMW with roadside. -_-

now I got back in forth in my mind 1200GS, street bob :doh: I can't decide its really touch and go these days. :unsure:

Hi all,

I just found an 02 LeMans for $6K and wondered if the deal made sense.

It has 3,000 miles, but looks like it was left outside and has some corrosion and a little rust. It also has the flaking black crinkle paint on the crankcase.

Does the paint flaking take place on all the similarly painted surfaces, for example on the drive shaft cover extension, or is the flaking limited to the engine itself? Would the flaking be a deal killer if I were to sell the bike later? To me it doesn't matter that much, but is it a big deal to the average Guzzi owner?

This would be my first Guzzi.

Thanks for any comments,

Dave

93872[/snapback]

If you haven't had a Moto Guzzi before, do yourself a favour, and go and try a Breva. The Breva 1100 has been an eye-opener to me. It is by far the best handling and the easiest Moto guzzi I have ever tried. The Le-Mans V11 is not bad, but it has known issues, and very little has been caried forward from that model. I think the Breva is easier in every respect and a better bike. And yes, I own a V11 sport as well.

You guys sure give me a lot to consider. I'm very glad I dropped in here before getting the bike.

Well, I like to wrench almost as much as I like to ride. I do all my own work. It's just that I wouldn't want to get tangled up with some deep mechanical/electrical mysteries. Sounds like Guzzis don't have those.

Interesting comment about the new Breva. Looks great. I tried that one at the dealer and almost couldn't get it off the side stand. Man it was heavy, or maybe I'm too light at 135 lbs. The little Breva looked good too, but it seemed kind of cramped. I guess I'm used to more of a bar reach. I'm riding a Triumph Speed Four now and had a Sprint ST before that.

But that LeMans sure felt good. I guess it's because of the low center of mass. And those beautiful jugs hanging out there in the breeze-just sticks in my mind. Maybe I will look for an 00-01 naked as well.

Thanks,

Dave

I would go for the Lemans instead of the naked. Its well worth a few extra dollars for the wind protection. Plus it just looks cooler :sun: If you like to maintain your own bikes go ahead & get the Lemans! If you have a problem with it just come here & ask us about it. Theres nothing that can go wrong with a Guzzi that someone here doesnt know about.

Guest ratchethack
Well, I like to wrench almost as much as I like to ride. I do all my own work. It's just that I wouldn't want to get tangled up with some deep mechanical/electrical mysteries. Sounds like Guzzis don't have those.

. . . . . .

I guess I'm used to more of a bar reach. I'm riding a Triumph Speed Four now and had a Sprint ST before that.

. . . . . .

But that LeMans sure felt good. I guess it's because of the low center of mass. And those beautiful jugs hanging out there in the breeze-just sticks in my mind. Maybe I will look for an 00-01 naked as well.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, coupla things:

First off - WELCOME! RE: doing ALL your own maintenance - I'm right with you, having done so 100% for 40 years on 12 bikes, including substantial rebuilds/resto's on many of 'em. As a self-confessed Road Geez myself, the V-11 is by far & away the easiest and most pleasurable bike I've ever owned & maintained from a wrencher's perspective. :luigi: A little niggling fiddly stuff like relays and connectors to get squared away, a few chassis & drive lube items to give y'er attention to - get the TB's balanced and mods matched to the right EFI map, and it's generally simple and easy to stay ahead of. Y'er left with lots of Grade A, Premium Road Geez riding time. :thumbsup:

IMHO, the non-faired Sport variants are considerably easier to maintain and "deep clean" than the faired LM variants. I've got a Pal with an '04 LM and it's been more of a chore working around the fairing - but don't take this as a slam against the fairing if y'er so inclined! IMHO, it's entirely manageable and it does have it's advantages over non-faired or 1/4-faired alternatives! (I like the Stucchi 1/4 fairing just fine for mountain riding as well as for distance & speed.)

I've whinged on many times here about the horrendously undersprung suspension that ships from Mandello with the non-Ohlins-equipped V-11's. At 135 lb., however, you might be the first I've heard of who actually doesn't need to re-spring front & rear to realize the superb handling engineered into these bikes!!! IMHO, stock springs should be just about perfect for your weight! :thumbsup:

If you like the bar reach and overall ergos as well as I did to begin with, I reckon it's about as great a "fit" as y'er likely to find. Though many hereabouts can't seem to make the adjustment without substantially hacking it up (at substantial cost for bars, seat & pegs), I LOVE the ergo's the way they are and suspect you might also.

IMHO, unless y'er motives include drag racing the local squids between stoplights, chasing a land speed record, or y'er suffering from any other such "Boy Racer" fantasies, a used V-11 at the price y'er lookin' at continues to be one of the best buys in all of motorcycling.

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

:mg:

unless y'er motives include drag racing the local squids between stoplights, chasing a land speed record, or y'er suffering from any other such "Boy Racer" fantasies, a used V-11 at the price y'er lookin' at continues to be one of the best buys in all of motorcycling.

93965[/snapback]

well true, unless your name is Enzo and can take down a hayabusa with his goose. :huh2::lol:

But you sound perfect for the guzzi fold, The little breva isn't too cramped and can get it real cheap, the little griso, I think is real nice and would like to get ahold of one! :wub: but the lemans and sport are both great bikes and if I can work on'em and it stays running you'll have down like boiling water. :luigi:

I say get what your gut goes towards. I almost bought a Sprint ST until I saw and test rode the goose, almost came down to eenie meenie, But I made the right choice. :mg:

Well, you guys certainly have my number. I do confess to all of the racing fantasies mentioned, but what has kept me upright so far is an innate chickeness. Of course, that could change with a Guzzi.

Quite a dilemma, Naked or Lemans, and good points for each. I guess I'll take whichever comes along first.

Anyway, thanks for all the great comments. Very much appreciated.

Dave

At 135 lbs, you are perfect for the sport!

And no, there's nothing mysterious or complicated about Guzzi's. Heck, the engine debuted in 1967! It's about as complicated as a rock. A real simple rock.