Anatomy of a shunt!

Steve G.

Glad yer OK Steve! Personally I despise the litigious culture of the US, but as others here have said, go get 'em!

On a semi-lighter note, and not to nitpick, but whas this hole six feet, or six inches deep? (Either way, waaaaaay too deep.) I instantly thought of the Stonehenge gag in Spinal Tap, 12' misread as 12" :lol:

I just saw an ad on SPEED for 1-800-motorcycle an American lawfirm.  Their linkhere

94243[/snapback]

Thanks Zoltan,

These are the guys I see on Speed sometimes. I shall talk to them, as I shall possibly look to advice from Mr. Hagan.

The one thing that I can't help thinking may cause an issue is that I an a non-American, and that this may cause issues with the lawyers.

Got a basic quote on just parts today, $5500. Shite!!

Thanks for the info and support guys.

Ciao, Steve

The one thing that I can't help thinking may cause an issue is that I an a non-American, and that this may cause issues with the lawyers.

94245[/snapback]

Don't be $o $ure $teve, remember the$e are American attorney$ :grin:

Bill, how was Italy???

94250[/snapback]

Hmmmmmmm. Thought I'd posted that here, but, if not, here's what I put on wildguzzi (with the short answer being a predictable: "Grand!"):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here they are: http://snipurl.com/s3ua

As always, no need to register; just light up first pic and drive on. [Make sure you have the "settings" right so you can read the captions.]

Yes, I know, too many, but, hey, I could have posted all 700+; you just get a paltry 200 or so.

I did add some captions, and, sorry, did not separate the Guzzi pics, which are scattered throughout.

In all, spent almost three weeks in Italy, with brief sallies into Austria and Switzerland. Put 3.2K on rental car and almost 500 on rented Moto Guzzi Breva 1100. Riding there was, shall we say, "different!"

OBTW, of the literally thousands of motorcycles I saw there, my unscientific analysis of the numbers is something like this:

Easily 65+% BMW;

15% sportbikes of all stripes, mostly Japanese;

15% HD (!) or clones, and mostly the former;

5% "other" (yes, including Moto Guzzis ... sigh). Did see 28 Guzzis, not counting the many more in and around Mandello, of course.

The cruisers had a devil of time on switchbacks, e.g., the Splugen Pass, http://www.fransencarmen.nl/images/splugen.jpg, thus most of those were on the main routes.

Will also say that I was most surprised at the almost universal low-speed foot dragging, even by folks on sportsbikes. Do these riders lack low-speed control skills and confidence or is this something else? Do not mean to offend any Europeans here, and I may be, as I am so often, flat-out wrong.

Bear in mind, I am not mistaking "unskilled" for the quite assertive riding in different traffic conditions between Italy and the USA. I saw lots two-way lane splitting and did that myself. In fact, if you did not ride that way there, you were less predictable to the Italian drivers, and that is unsafe in itself. Riding to the left of your lane and in the on-coming lane with traffic headed your way is quite a rush--especially when you fancy yourself doing a high-speed assault and some 15 YO sweetie in a bikini and helmet half-on passes you on the outside on a scooter! Yee ha!

And, of course, some sportbike riders were VERY competent and rode with verve. Watching classy riders on challenging terrain is quite beautiful. I tried, but riding two-up on a rented motorcycle tended to stifle my exuberance, tho Mike Craven was pretty darn impressive on the EV. :-)

All of the foregoing said, did not see a single traffic accident involving a motorcycle and only one with cars; the latter was on the autostrada near Trent when traffic was moving at about 5KPH, i.e., a parking lot and bumpers entangled.

The Breva was a great mount. It was set up a bit on the "plush" side, but I did not want to fiddle with the suspension. Made the bumps almost silken, but paid a price when the going got "stimulating." I actually ground down significant parts of the centerstand, leaving metal "curls" along it.

Biggest disappointments of trip were my inability to contact a few Guzzisti who left me contact info that I was too phone challenged to make work. I'll apologize to them by email or note, but if you (who know you are) read this, please forgive me.

Alis Agostini and SO Peter were great friends and business people. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Again, sorry about the large number of pics, but Kodak has made it easier for you to screen these without subjecting you to them all.

Bill

Glad yer OK Steve!  Personally I despise the litigious culture of the US, but as others here have said, go get 'em!

On a semi-lighter note, and not to nitpick, but whas this hole six feet, or six inches deep? (Either way, waaaaaay too deep.)  I instantly thought of the Stonehenge gag in Spinal Tap, 12' misread as 12"  :lol:

94244[/snapback]

No you read it correctly. I guess you could call it either a 6 foot deep pothole, or a section of road that was literally not there, gone.

Ciao, Steve G.

Have you said “hallo” to mom for me???

Looks like you guys have had good time there. The weather was friendly and that’s a good score. Don’t bother about the Breva, we are v11 owner and just love keep it at that way. :mg:

It’s time for me to come visit the USA before the cowboy are extinguished…. :lol:

No you read it correctly. I guess you could call it either a 6 foot deep pothole, or a section of road that was literally not there, gone.

Ciao, Steve G.

94279[/snapback]

Just googling this for the fun of it, and found this:

http://www.lawguru.com/cgi/bbs/mesg.cgi?i=757925268

Guest Aughtsix
Will also say that I was most surprised at the almost universal low-speed foot dragging, even by folks on sportsbikes.  Do these riders lack low-speed control skills and confidence or is this something else? 

Uh, maybe they're all trying to scrape some dog pooh off their shoes... :P

Just a guess...

Sorry for your accident Steve but I'm glad that you weren't seriously hurt. 6 feet deep is a crater, not a pothole.

Not that this is any help but here's another story about a bike eating pothole in CA. It ate up former auto racer and current Speed TV announcer Alain deCadenet on his Vincent Black Shadow. Scroll down to "A Criminal Pothole" :

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?sect...9&page_number=2

Sorry for your accident Steve but I'm glad that you weren't seriously hurt.  6 feet deep is a crater, not a pothole.

Not that this is any help but here's another story about a bike eating pothole in CA.  It ate up former auto racer and current Speed TV announcer Alain deCadenet on his Vincent Black Shadow.  Scroll down to "A Criminal Pothole" :

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?sect...9&page_number=2

94357[/snapback]

PM me - I went to Law School in California and still have a few friends out there that do the Personal Injury stuff.

I would be happy to refer you to them if you would like.

Holly shite Steve!!

just read about your mishap, that really sucks, but l'm very glad to hear that you're ok (sort of )

it's really tuff to crash and hurt yourself anytime, but always worse when you are on a road trip having fun and away from home. :(

again, glad you're ok and real sorry about your bike.

Take care and heal well :thumbsup:

:bier:

Cheers

Van