COPPA ITALIA REAR END PIC NEEDED

Guest vagrant

Guest vagrant

I remover the rear wheel on a 2004 Coppa Italia for a tire change and when i went to put it back together i found a spacer on the ground. it is 1" 70 thousands outside diameter the inside is .815 and it is .488 wide. it looks just like the one on my 98 EV that fits betweeen the swing arm and the calliper housing however it won't go in there. the book seems to infer it goes inbetween the rear end and the rear wheels drive gear but that doesn't seem to work either. can anybody send me a pic of this bike from the left side rear swing arm to the disc brake rotor? the Balabio isn't the same. go figure.

steve@stihlse.com thanks

If it went back together without it, then it couldn't have been important. When I finished my Triumph engine I had a mittful of stuff leftover. I have no idea where any of it came from but the bike's been running for years now...

Having bits left over just means you must've had too many bits to begin with. A much better scenario than not having enough parts. :thumbsup:

Am I helping yet? I'm also the guy who likes to sneak a few extra mystery bits into the pile when the mechanic isn't looking... especially the ones who REALLY keep their bits organized. Good to exercise the noggin once in a while. :nerd:

Rj

To show you how pathetic Steve is at things mechanical, he actually called me for advice. :luigi::grin:

Seriously, I sent him a pic of my Ballabio's butt: http://snipurl.com/sskl

... but also had the brains to refer him here: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=87411

So, he's read this and still is stumped. Please help him or he'll call me for advice again. :D

Guest vagrant
If it went back together without it, then it couldn't have been important.  When I finished my Triumph engine I had a mittful of stuff leftover.  I have no idea where any of it came from but the bike's been running for years now...

Having bits left over just means you must've had too many bits to begin with. A much better scenario than not having enough parts.  :thumbsup:

Am I helping yet?  I'm also the guy who likes to sneak a few extra mystery bits into the pile when the mechanic isn't looking...  especially the ones who REALLY keep their bits organized.  Good to exercise the noggin once in a while.  :nerd:

Rj

94228[/snapback]

Guest ratchethack

Steve, this sounds like the spacer that goes between the wheel and the bevel drive. It should fit snug inside its seal. Best have the bevel drive hanging on the spindle, which should be inserted through the bevel drive just far enough to get the spacer over it before you put the wheel hub on and slide the spindle through the wheel.

Hope this helps. :P

My moneys on it being one from the bevel box. There are two it could be. Unlikly its the one that goes over the neadle roller cage in the far right hand side of the bevel box.

:2c: There is one that goes between the bevel box and the wheel, This one can drop out when you've taken the wheel out and can be overlooked

I'll see if I can find it on the parts diagram thats allready been posted, or I post it up myself later for you when I'm back at home

Edit - others have got their replies in whilst I'm typing slowly and expressed it much more eloquently

Further edit -

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ype=post&id=294

Shown far left but falls out through the cush drive from the middle of that big roller needle bearing thingy

Guest vagrant
Sounds like the spacer that goes on the rear spindle after it goes in the rear bevel drive and before the wheel is put on :race:

andy

94231[/snapback]

Bill..

Have you been running that Balabio in the salt water?

Man that picture of your rear axle sent shivers down my spine.

These things do corrode...I've got mine pickled in marine grease.

Just slathered it all over various exterior surfaces...maybe I should use mink oil.

OV:

I ride year round in Seattle, in saltwater rain.

The best stuff for failsafe pickling of metal is a product for firearms called Rustguard-it. It's a waxy type coating that works great but is a mess to clean up in the spring. Parts ike axles can be left permanently pickled, though.

Guest vagrant
My moneys on it being one from the bevel box. There are two it could be. Unlikly its the one that goes over the neadle roller cage in the far right hand side of the bevel box.

:2c:  There is one that goes between the bevel box and the wheel, This one can drop out when you've taken the wheel out and can be overlooked

I'll see if I can find it on the parts diagram thats allready been posted, or I post it up myself later for you when I'm back at home

Edit - others have got their replies in whilst I'm typing slowly and expressed it much more eloquently

Further edit -

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...ype=post&id=294

Shown far left but falls out through the cush drive from the middle of that big roller needle bearing thingy

94234[/snapback]

Guest vagrant

From,you guys were right it went in between the bevel box and wheel. it appears the binding was because i greased the drive shaft and that caused a lot of drag at first.

I put on 320 miles today on the new dunlop d220 and was pleased with it.

unfortunatly now the gas tank vent isn't working and the tank is sucking so i now need a fix for that too. :mg:

vagrant