Lower Triple Clamp removal

Greedyfly

I sheared the stop on the lower triple clamp and broke my steering damper in an accident. I finally have everything, I hope, to fix it.

I have removed the upper triple clamp based on info in another thread and am ready to replace the lower clamp, but I am at a loss of how to proceed. I know I need to loosen the 4 bolts holding the clamp to the forks, but where to go from here? It doesn't appear to be as simple as lifting the frame off the tree. Anybody got some advice on where to go from here?

Guest Nigelstephens
I sheared the stop on the lower triple clamp and broke my steering damper in an accident. I finally have everything, I hope, to fix it.

I have removed the upper triple clamp based on info in another thread and am ready to replace the lower clamp, but I am at a loss of how to proceed. I know I need to loosen the 4 bolts holding the clamp to the forks, but where to go from here? It doesn't appear to be as simple as lifting the frame off the tree. Anybody got some advice on where to go from here?

94288[/snapback]

Remove the front wheel (prop up under engine).

Remove front mug guard.

Remove front brakes and let them hang gently.

Undo the bolts in the lower tripple clamp.

Tap the stanchions out with a rubber hammer or wood and hammer.

You now have a lower tripple clamp mounted in the head bearings of the frame.

Assuming you have the upper tripple clamp removed, drive the stearing shaft from the head bearings.

Once free from the bike the tripple clamp will have the lower head inner race fixed solid on the shaft.

Not sure at this stage. Probably nest for another to cut in and give some advice as I cant remember about seperating the stearing head shaft from the lower tripple clamp.