Oil Starvation: No Room Left for Doubt

Greg Field

No you are not mistaken, this is the inside of my V sump. So what would be needed to make a dry sump?

Paul, is that a bolt on for the '97 sport i motor? Or is it for a 4 valve motor only?

If it fits the sport i motor, how / where can it be purchased?

TIA.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, is that a bolt on for the '97 sport i motor?  Or is it for a 4 valve motor only?

If it fits the sport i motor, how / where can it be purchased?

TIA.

94646[/snapback]

It's a straight bolt on, I think Moto Spezial in Boxheadland make 'em.

Pete

I'm sure you guys are familiar with the AccuSump from the car racing world. 

Actually, I'd never heard of it...

Unfortunately, the smallest (and simplest) version needs to be mounted vertically and so limits mounting choices on a motorcycle.  How about one of you guys using the idea to create a Moto Guzzi specific version?  It's a stone simple and absolutely bullet proof answer to short-term (g-induced) oil starvation.

Thanks for bringing this item to everyone's attention! Not cheap, but then it functions as a pre-oiler too (a Very Good Thing!) They mention that it can be plumbed in via existing oil-cooler lines if available, so that would probably be the way to go on the V11s...

Still, a $50 sloppage plate would be a trifle more cost effective in my book, all things considered. Maybe if I was involved w/ racing a Guzzi like Roper is then the Accusump could easily warrant the added cost & installation complexity.

:thumbsup:

It's a straight bolt on, I think Moto Spezial in Boxheadland make 'em.

Thanks Pete. I'm somewhere between Skeeve's position thinking the $50 option may be just fine, and springing for a V sump or an accusump.

FWIW - I see now that the small accusump no longer requires vertical mounting (it means they've included a diaphragm just like the larger models have) so an "above the spine" horizontal mount using the fuel tank tunnel space may be feasible. I'll have to measure.

Guest ratchethack
All you need to do is draw the thing neatly and take it to a place that has a laser profiler and they will be able to cut it perfectly for you.

If you send me your sketch I could even convert it into a CAD file that can be read by these machines.

94624[/snapback]

Thanks, Nog. But in my dreams, somebody here comes up with a template that's passed "sea trials" with flying colors and either:

1. does a quantity run himself, or

2. sends it to someone with access to the wherewithal to make it happen, who also has enough interest to do it, and can maybe recover enough costs with maybe a tad left over for the trouble.

Or is there too much fantasy in this to expect it to come true?? :huh2:

I might take it on meself if I had a clue how or where to proceed. :luigi:

My biggest personal drawback is a lack of ANY experience on how to lay out the template. Specifically, which part is a hole and which part ain't a hole? :huh2:

Thanks, Nog.  But in my dreams, somebody here comes up with a template that's passed "sea trials" with flying colors and either:

Someone here once posted the low-price leader (U.S.) for Guzzi consumeables like, say, sump gaskets. Since the proposed "sloppage plate" will require at minimum, one extra (with the assumption that the existing one isn't too munged up to reuse; with my luck & 10 thumbs, I'd better order two... no, four, since I may as well have some on hand for future oil changes :P ) gasket, and most of the holes in the plate will be related to holes in same gasket, with a couple of big holes cut out of the middle for obvious things like crankshaft clearance, oil filter space, etc., I think I may have to just break down & order a gasket & take a long lunch & see what odds & ends Irvine Metals has in their sheetmetal cutoffs bin. Heck, I may just hie m'self over to WalMart or Target & see what likely looking cookie sheets are in their housewares section... I might get better pricing from them! :grin:

Just what are the extreme dimensions on the Guzzi sump gasket, anyway? Too big to fit on a standard scanner? :huh2:

Guest Nogbad
Thanks, Nog.  But in my dreams, somebody here comes up with a template that's passed "sea trials" with flying colors and either:

My biggest personal drawback is a lack of ANY experience on how to lay out the template.  Specifically, which part is a hole and which part ain't a hole? :huh2:

94668[/snapback]

What I would do if I needed to make one is look carefully at the crank-scrapers video. This would tell me how the plate is designed relative to crank rotation. Then I would draw the Guzzi crankshaft and bottom of the crankcase to scale on my 3D CAD. This would allow me to model the plate by projecting the crank onto a plane and offsetting the projection to give the desired clearances. Then the holes for the "gubbins" would be added. The crank can be rotated in the virtual assembly to ensure nothing hits the plate.

Lastly the 2D manufacturing drawing pops out.

BUT IT WOULD TAKE 2 or 3 DAYS AND IT ISN'T WORTH IT.

Guest Nogbad
And here I thought I was the only Resident Old Geez around here. . . . . . ;)  :whistle:

94728[/snapback]

Sorry Hackman. If this board wasn't already called V11Lemans.com, it would probably be grumpyoldmen.com

Guest ratchethack

Well at least there's a precious few of who us can justifiably claim Curmudgeon status to set ourselves apart from the riff-raff. . . . . :lol:

Guest ratchethack
Would seeing the 1970s Transatlantic Series make me old enough to qualify for that?

Nige.  :huh: 

Er, no. :blush::whistle: