The might of the multinationals hits home

friskycutter

Our local favorite guzzi dealer may be cut off from new bikes. (names withheld to protect the innocent).

Due to Piaggio's ownership of Guzzi, Aprilia, and others, the local Guzzi dealers reluctance to carry a full line of Aprilia as well may mean being no new bikes including the Griso and Breva. Considering the remarkable job they have done to make the Guzzi a viable and popular local brand, I find these strongarm tactics insulting to myself and my fellow MG enthusiasts. Why should the shop I trust, unlike the other local, be penalized for reluctance to waste valuable floor space on an overpriced exotic.

Once again Guzzi is being squeezed out by the big guy, Id hoped for better if for nothing more than piaggios sense of Italian pride in keeping the lusterous Guzzi name alive

Our local favorite guzzi dealer may be cut off from new bikes. (names withheld to protect the innocent).

Due to Piaggio's ownership of Guzzi, Aprilia, and others, the local Guzzi dealers reluctance to carry a full line of Aprilia as well may mean being no new bikes including the Griso and Breva. Considering the remarkable job they have done to make the Guzzi a viable and popular local brand, I find these strongarm tactics insulting to myself and my fellow MG enthusiasts. Why should the shop I trust, unlike the other local, be penalized for reluctance to waste valuable floor space on an overpriced exotic.

Once again Guzzi is being squeezed out by the big guy, Id hoped for better if for nothing more than piaggios sense of Italian pride in keeping the lusterous Guzzi name alive

94502[/snapback]

Tell your local dealer you want to support him and to accept the deal. aprilia is a great motorcycle. As for being an "overpriced exotic" . . . have you looked at the MSRP on V11's? The economy is booming and current and potential riders have money to spend on these so called "overpriced exotics." :bier:

94502[/snapback]

It may be time for your dealer to expand to multiple locations; a 'Priller storefront in the local downtown ("High Street" to you Brits), chi'-chi' trendy zone, with all maintenance & service to be conducted at the "main shop" where he already is may prove to be his way forward. Or at least, carefully written up business plans to that effect may prove to be his way to get Piaggio to sell him the Guzzi's he needs to add to stock while he stalls on getting the Aprilia side launched for the next year or so...

;)

Due to Piaggio's ownership of Guzzi, Aprilia, and others, the local Guzzi dealers reluctance to carry a full line of Aprilia as well may mean being no new bikes including the Griso and Breva.

94502[/snapback]

My Guzzi dealer probably sells about one new Guzzi per year.

They are a classic bike shop and have no room for a full line of Guzzis, let alone any Aprilias.

I hope this does not disqualify them from Guzzi dealer status.

The other Guzzi dealer in town is stocked to the gills with Ducatis, and I doubt they would make space for Aprilias.

What I suspect may happen is that both will give up on the Geese and the existing Aprilia dealers will be the new Guzzi dealers. :angry:

My Guzzi dealer probably sells about one new Guzzi per year.

They are a classic bike shop and have no room for a full line of Guzzis, let alone any Aprilias. I hope this does not disqualify them from Guzzi dealer status.

94637[/snapback]

Are you talking about Moto Guzzi Classics in Long Beach? Last I knew, they'd given up their dealer status w/ MGNA because they weren't getting paid for doing all the warranty support for the Geese sold by LA & OC Cycle Sports [which were going for less than Mark's dealer cost!]

After Piaggio's takeover, they were supposedly trying to get "Official Service" status, but I don't think they were even trying to become a dealer for new Guzzi's again: they seem to survive on the classic roundfin clientele happily, & don't need the headaches of trying to maintain "satisfactory sales numbers."

Given their business model, they'd probably celebrate if Guzzi went under, since all the V11s would instantly become "classics" & their owners would start coming to MGC for service instead of whatever local dealer they're currently paying to mess up their bikes... ;)

If you're talking about some other shop, please illuminate us! Better that the existing shops that are in it for the love get some recognition...

:mg:

If you're talking about some other shop, please illuminate us! Better that the existing shops that are in it for the love get some recognition...

:mg:

94656[/snapback]

San Diego is blessed with two excellent shops.

Sonny Angel Motorcycle has been at the same location for over 50 years. I am not sure how long they have been selling Guzzis, but the first time I walked in lookin for a Guzzi was over 20 years ago. Great people! If ever in San Diego, you must visit.

The other is GP Motorcycles. They probably sell more Ducatis than anything else that they carry. They are a bit more metrosexual. They all wear spiffy black shirts, are very enthusiastic about go fast Italian bikes, and they have a great reputation for taking care of their customers.

I guess I was wrong about them and Aprilia. Apparently they already sell Aprilias....I just remember the store had mostly Ducatis, a few classic and or used bikes, a couple Guzzis, an MZ(but I think they dropped MZ) and maybe an MV Augusta :huh2: So, maybe they will survive Piaggo???

Like Jim said....... :bbblll:

:bier:

Cheers

Van