Question for the British Columbians, eh?

Greg Field

Some Seattle Guzzi whack-toids and I will be crossing the border and heading up to Prince George and then west to a smaller town to stay for the night, on the way to Hyder, AK. We should be at the border about 9:00 a.m.

What's the best crossing and route to where we are going? Any places or roads we should avoid? Any hints on speed traps and so on? Do we really need moose repellant? Any other hints?

Thanks!

You would know this already, I'm 99% certain; going north on a weekday, early in the day, even the worst border crossing (the Peacearch on the I5) will be no trouble. Headed north, if you are going past Prince George in one day (480 miles Vancouver to PG, plus Seattle to Vancouver, plus Prince George to ?) I don't know if you have time to do the sea-to-sky highway Vancouver to Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton, as they are working on that road intensively. If they are actually STOPPING traffic, then you're ok, as you can filter to the front of the line in most places, and you will save time overall. That's the way I would go. Pemberton to Lillooet is the best mc road on the mainland of BC, though the pavement is bad by American standards. At least it's all paved now, wasn't that long ago... well, I digress. On a weekday traffic should be light. Slow down before the bridge decks, they are wood, cam be slippery, and are often followed by tight 90° corners.

The road north at Lillooet has one kink at an elevated railway crossing, watch for this, it's a tight one. You come out just north of Cache Creek, and you might want to go south for fuel about 10 miles, though the next town to the north, Clinton still has two gas stations (no Chevron, though) and is only 25 miles (all uphill) north. Then it's pretty much like South Park says: "follow the road-the only road-it's straight and wide and up to code". You've been to Prince George before, so you will likely know this.

There are some pleasant-enough side trips (Quesnal to Barkerville) but soumds like you will need to move much faster than that. Vancouver to Cache Creek via the highway (Van-Hope-Cache Creek) takes about the same amount of time, but the Fraser and Thompson canyons are not what they once were (curves-wise)and the road is very heavily used by trucks and motorhomes, if you think you can deal with the construction on the Sea-ip-Sky, go that way. (Big saddlebags can be the difference filtering wise, with 'em you sometimes don't have the room that I would want, but then, I'm a pussy.) Devise a way to clean bug guts off your faceshield while you are riding (I use a miniature paint roller refill, works well, though somehow after you run water over it, it smells even worse) or you will need to stop often north of Cache Creek. Moose are less of a problem than regular deer, you will see both, but it's the deer that congregate around the roads in the evenings. The warning signs will tell you the suggested speed (at night), but nobody ever drove as slow as that. Watch for glinting that moves, the darker it is the more there will be. Try and be aware of rivers and lakes, as these are what cause the deer to move back and forth across the road. If you hit a bear, don't be a hero and chase him into the brush to finish him off- like my brother-in-laws friend Stu 'the Bearkiller' Boyce did back in the '80s. (bears built tougher than RZ 350) :D

Riding from Seattle to Prince George in one day, on a bike, well, you must have a hard ass.

Like Rusty said, northbound @9:00am at any crossing will not be an issue at all. The best for speed will be the Pacific Highway crossing [ the "truck crossing"] , as this highway, if you continue to it's northest extent, will link you up to highway #1. From there you can either go west towards Vancouver/Whistler/Pemberton/Lilloett [The motorcycle noted Duffy Lake Road], or, you can go east on Highway#1 and get the hell out of Dodge City.

Greg, tell us how much time you are alloting to get to P.G.. If it's 1 day, just get on Highway #1 and book it. If it's more days, then we can offer some real good options.

Ciao, Steve G.

I hear it is the opposite of Mexico.

Drink the water, but avoid the beer :wacko:

Why would you do such an atrocity? Canadian beer is one of the best in the world, especially made by small breweries (microbreweries). It is so vastly better then American excuse for a beer that whenever I visit our cousins in US I am forced to just stick to wines (not as good generally as BC wines of course, but passable) or even liquor and avoid their beer by all means available.

We're actually going past PG to Vendersomething. Yes, a long day, but I live to ride hard and long. I believe my companions are of a similar mindset. It would be a doddle on the Eldo. It'll be a bit more challenging on the Billy Bob. We're taking four days, up and back. I'm expecting to've put on 2,500 miles by the time we get back.

The sea-to-sky route sounds great. How much of it's torn up? If we were to go that way on one leg of the journey, would it be better to do so on the sally forth on Friday or on the return leg on Monday? I general, I prefer to climb on twisty roads, rather than descend.

As for the beer, "I fear no beer." I'm sure the Canadian micros are excellent. My favorite beer in the whole world is Diamond Knot IPA, but I could be just as happy after a long day's ride with a cold Kokanee or whatever.

So, what do I need to know about the cops? Also, we've been warned of meth-head problems in Quesnel and a few other places, that we should never leave the bikes unattended there. Any truth to these viscious rumors?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Why would you do such an atrocity? Canadian beer is one of the best in the world, especially made by small breweries (microbreweries). It is so vastly better then American excuse for a beer that whenever I visit our cousins in US I am forced to just stick to wines (not as good generally as BC wines of course, but passable) or even liquor and avoid their beer by all means available.

It's an American thing. Millions have been brainwashed by billion dollar ad campaigns into believing that semi alcoholic piss water brewed out of CORN (MGD!) is proper beer. Unfortunately we have nothing of the sort to offer them here and what we do have is just simply beyond their palates. It would seem that the masses have been convinced that only beers made from corn or some other cheap but plentiful ingredients are proper beers. They do make exceptions for beers brewed using recycled Mexican water. A wedge of lime provides a distraction from the fact that the major ingredient was once (or more) passed through a urinal.

I am very happy to see that many have broken free of this deadly ignorance and allowed free thought to introduce them to real beer.

Rj

But I digress... Back to riding in BC.

Best to do the Sea to Sky/Duffy Lake during the week. Although this time of year you'll always have the Alberta Winnebagos to deal with. Construction isn't too bad right now and the road is pretty good. Traffic is moving mostly on the completed new stuff and they are busy twinning. It is only a couple of spots and you'll get through pretty quick on bikes.

The Federales... yes, they may catch you. Speed traps are prevailent on our highways in the summers. Gotta collect that revenue! Watch for cars parked on the sides of the road up ahead. Also watch for the blaze orange. If your spider senses are tingling, slow it down... Try to find a "rabbit" - a bike or car who wants to go faster than you. Then just keep him in sight. When you see his brake lights hit yours. I've successfully used this early warning system many times.

Meth heads?? No worse here than Seattle. How comfortable are you leaving your bike alone in Seattle? I've never heard anything particular about Quesnel being a Meth Head town though. I certainly wouldn't worry about going in to eat a meal or leaving the bikes outside the motel all night in any BC town. Disk lock on everywhere I go though.

It is a great ride - enjoy our province and hospitality!

cheers,

Rj

We're actually going past PG to Vendersomething. Yes, a long day, but I live to ride hard and long. I believe my companions are of a similar mindset. It would be a doddle on the Eldo. It'll be a bit more challenging on the Billy Bob. We're taking four days, up and back. I'm expecting to've put on 2,500 miles by the time we get back.

The sea-to-sky route sounds great. How much of it's torn up? If we were to go that way on one leg of the journey, would it be better to do so on the sally forth on Friday or on the return leg on Monday? I general, I prefer to climb on twisty roads, rather than descend.

As for the beer, "I fear no beer." I'm sure the Canadian micros are excellent. My favorite beer in the whole world is Diamond Knot IPA, but I could be just as happy after a long day's ride with a cold Kokanee or whatever.

So, what do I need to know about the cops? Also, we've been warned of meth-head problems in Quesnel and a few other places, that we should never leave the bikes unattended there. Any truth to these viscious rumors?

Thanks for all the help so far!

It sounds like you have time to ride the Duffy Lake road (check out this report here!)- which continues from the Sea to Sky route (here, here and here). I have ridden it this year and there is construction on part of the Sea to Sky but still worth the ride. The Duffy Lake road is the best I've seen. There is little or no broken pavement but it is still bumpy in a lot of places. It will be a great test of suspension set-up. From there you will take the road from Lilloet to Hat Creek (here) and then you are back on the useual roads north to Prince George and Vanderhoof!

(if you can't get the video to play on the links try clicking on the screen once then right click and hit play - I have that problem on my computer at home)

Regarding the Revenue Collecting Motorised Patrol (RCMP) be wary of them from Vancouver to Whistler but on the Duffy Lake road they are seldom if ever there. The last bit coming into Lilloet may be patrolled but that is it. On the road north to Williams Lake, Quesnel and Prince George there are frequently some revenue traps set up so keep an eye out.

I am afraid that the stories of stolen or vandalised property in those northern towns is fairly true. I work a lot in those regions and we have to park our service trailer with the door against a wall and in sight of our motel window. There are a few motels that have bike safe parking so maybe you can find one of those (possibly here).

I don't know where you will find good IPA in those ares but I know the Laughing Loon coming into Williams Lake had some good selections last year and there are some good pubs in PG. I have no doubt you will find something suitable.

If you have mechanical problems in Williams Lake I know someone there who can probably help you out even though he is a truck mechanic.

I'll try and get a map to post for you and anyone else.

Have a great ride and pictures and stories when you return would be great too!

Cheers!

Jim

Vancouver to Lillooet.

cadvvh8kig0.gif

Lillooet to Clinton.

ca32wfnxcm7.gif

Another addition could be a diversion just north of Clinton near 70 Mile House. There are some nice roads around green Lake that generally parallel the highway and break up the monotony! (here)

Important note!!

Fuel up no later than Squamish and take water with you for the Duffy Lake road. No facilities and it can get reeeeally hot!

The two most troublesome spots (in my experience) for cops are Cache Creek, and between Rpince George and Vanderhoof, which you will be travelling at night, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just beyond Hope, there is a bad spot where the road widens and the speed limits fall, but if you go Duffey Lk (Pemberton to Lillooet) both these are by-passed. (That is, Cache Creek and Hope/ Yale) Sadly though, speed traps are common everywhere along the main highways (follow the road-the only road...)as the cops are the enforcement/billing arm of the provincial insurance company. On the bright side, I am unclear on how they would make you pay, as you don't buy your insurance here, and even if you did pay, you wouldn't get the infractions noted in your abstract, would you? Average fines are 125-200 dollars, with the forbearance of the cop on other matters. BC travellers, as noted above, tend to travel in short trains behind people who either know they aren't/don't care if they are going to get a ticket. Seems cowardly, I know, but as long as you are willing to take your turn at the front...I would say that you are fine to 65 miles an hour everywhere, but my brother got one in June between Yale and Hope with the cruise control set right there, so...you will have to speed on the highways, but sometimes you can do this whole run without seeing a cop, others it will seem like nothing but cops,truck and motorhomes. If you are travelling in a group, and get the lights, consider having only the lead guy pull over, the rest continuing on their way some distance to wait. If they pull all over, everyone gets a ticket, that has been my experience. A lot of cops have motorcycles here, 'wings or Harleys, and being older, American, and civil MIGHT save you a ticket, even as a group, but remember, the revenue generation is the goal, and writing the ticket is their part of the circle of life. Maybe the lousy odds they can collect from you might discourage them? No, I guess not, they write the bills, collection is a different division.

Your choice of Vanderhoof is fine, nothing very wrong with that place, except it is a long, long way from Seattle. There are also genuinely rural places to stay along this road, places where you park your bike in front of your cabin, and there aren't any durn cityfolk around to mess with it. 30 miles out of Prince George, halfway between PG and Vanderhoof, there is Bednesti Lk. resort, they have fuel, what used to be a decent restaurant, and a pub for the locals/travellers, that place might be worth a look if the hour is getting late and you haven't booked something farther down the road. The highways get quiet at night,(that's why the deer come out) so you can make time.

Watch that you don't park your bike under a pine tree in the summer, as that stuff is hard to get off. Most pines you will see will be dead or dying (warm winters have caused Pine Beetle infestations that will eventually kill 'em all) until you get west of Prince George, towards Fraser Lk., but parking lots have 'em.

It's an American thing. Millions have been brainwashed by billion dollar ad campaigns into believing that semi alcoholic piss water brewed out of CORN (MGD!) is proper beer. Unfortunately we have nothing of the sort to offer them here and what we do have is just simply beyond their palates. It would seem that the masses have been convinced that only beers made from corn or some other cheap but plentiful ingredients are proper beers. They do make exceptions for beers brewed using recycled Mexican water. A wedge of lime provides a distraction from the fact that the major ingredient was once (or more) passed through a urinal.

I am very happy to see that many have broken free of this deadly ignorance and allowed free thought to introduce them to real beer.

Rj

I must admit to being flummoxed by this elitist attitude. Seattle has more breweries, I would estimate, than any other North American city, with the possible exception of Portland Oregon. And the common Canadian beers like Kokanee and Molson, et al are little, if any better than a PBR or MGD.

WHen I lived in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle, there were four microbreweries within two miles. Where I live now there are three within the same circle. All but one are world class.

I must admit to being flummoxed by this elitist attitude. Seattle has more breweries, I would estimate, than any other North American city, with the possible exception of Portland Oregon. And the common Canadian beers like Kokanee and Molson, et al are little, if any better than a PBR or MGD.

WHen I lived in the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle, there were four microbreweries within two miles. Where I live now there are three within the same circle. All but one are world class.

You guys take everything too seriously! Seattle has some ecxceptional beers. So does Oregon. My current fav beer is from Calif of all places.

Just a return shot for the bad canadian beer comment! Americans are in no position to be dissing CDN beers when they're producing so much shite. And to put us below that mexican swill, well that can't go unreplied!

Stay away from Kokanee and Molson's, but at least they aren't made from corn and/or rice. In a pinch I'd drink them. Bud/Coors/Miller? No thanks I'll have the water please.

Rj

You guys take everything too seriously! Seattle has some ecxceptional beers. So does Oregon. My current fav beer is from Calif of all places.

Just a return shot for the bad canadian beer comment! Americans are in no position to be dissing CDN beers when they're producing so much shite. And to put us below that mexican swill, well that can't go unreplied!

Stay away from Kokanee and Molson's, but at least they aren't made from corn and/or rice. In a pinch I'd drink them. Bud/Coors/Miller? No thanks I'll have the water please.

Rj

Perhaps I can clarify.

Firstly, Mexicans learned their beer making trade directly from German missionaries spreading their christian thoughts, and alot of their recipies are still direct from recipies used in Germany 200yrs ago, so it may not be accurate to call Mexican beers swill.

Secondly, I think I can agree with both of you that most all of North American mass produced beers owe their success not to how good the beer is, but by the marketing geniuses who push the crap. They must use the same marketing firms that are employed by Harley Davidson!! Clearly, if it's Miller, Bud, Shlitz, Molsons, Coors, Kokannee, or Labbatts, it must be served near freezing to be palatable, and under the most basic of recipe guidlines, one cannot even call this stuff beer, no, it's just a malt based sustance. The only difference between the American crap, and the Canadian crap would be that the mass produced Canadian crap started out with a bit more corn sugar, and results in 1% more alcohol.

Arguably, ground centre for cottage brewery activity is Portland, Oregon, and it radiates, and rightiously infects areas north east and south. Washington state has very near as experienced a beer palate as Oregon. California is a distant 3rd. B.C. is catching up, but it is mostly in the big hubs, Victoria, Greater Vancouver, Kelowna. Other smaller hubs like Kamloops are learning. Smaller cities and towns still are guided by the taste buds of the classic red-neck. That means drinking beer entails buying a 24 of bud, drinking the whole box with an ordered in plain cheese pizza, and doing it again the next night.

Hope this cleared up any confusion.

Ciao, Steve G.

Some Seattle Guzzi whack-toids and I will be crossing the border and heading up to Prince George and then west to a smaller town to stay for the night, on the way to Hyder, AK. We should be at the border about 9:00 a.m.

What's the best crossing and route to where we are going? Any places or roads we should avoid? Any hints on speed traps and so on? Do we really need moose repellant? Any other hints?

Thanks!

Boy..........how quickly the threads change! Getting back to your question...........I was through that area 2 weeks ago. I came from the East on Highway #16 also called the Yellowhead trail which passes through Prince George on the way to Prince Rupert on the West coast. Watch out for deer,logging truck debris and a psycho in a blacked out Ford Vicky near PG that came in to my lane as I approached, just for fun I guess. Oh those cowboys.

I spent the night in a town called Houston ,nice place ,good resteraunt. The turn-off to Hyder is at a place called Kitiwanga where I stopped for gas and a cup of tea (don`t forget to take a picture in front of the sign, you can`t miss it) It was 230 km from there, about 2 hours. I spoke with a fellow from Colorado who rode up there,got gas and turned back and got the third degree at the border so make sure you have your passports to alleviate any potential problems.

Bring your jacket liners, rain gear and electric vest. I strongly recommend this especially if your going to be riding at night. One thing to consider is that a lot of small towns don`t have 24 gas stations.

Personally I prefer southern BC along #3 which follows the border through towns like Osoyoos and Trail. Great roads and a hell of a lot warmer.

Hope this helps. Have a great ride.