Bill v. Army (Yes, M/C Content!)

Bill Hagan

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There's a lot I can't say here, for reasons I also can't say... but here are a few of my observations:

1) Requiring someone with a bright colored jacket with reflective stripes included in the design to wear a orange or yellow vest over the top of it, is a touch much.

2) When I was in need of a MSF Card, I was given an oppurtunity to attend a class on a military installation. I reserved my spot in the class, and had a conversation with the safety official that resembled the following:

- So, I need to provide the motorcycle to take this class, correct?

- Yes

- And the class is located (on the base)?

- Yes

- And I need a safety card to drive on the base?

- Yes

- So, I assume you can give me a temporary proof of enrollment or something so I can get the bike on the base to take the class?

- No, we can't issue any temporary passes until you have a safety card....

This went on for 15 minutes; even the safety official couldn't give me a method of getting onto the base without that safety card. It eventually ending with me formulating some plans about coming up with a truck, and some tiedowns, and then risking driving the bike during the course without a card. Worked out all my details, and sure enough, the evening before the class begins, I get a phone call saying "the class for which you have been enrolled (after a month of waiting for it) has been cancelled for an unknown reason, (probably because nobody with bikes could get on base) and the next available class at a different location was in 4 weeks. During my wait it was a 2 mile walk from my place of residence, to where I had to park. This is the ultimate picture of convienience, as my Guzzi is my only means of transportation.

Fast forward a few months, all paperwork issues taken care of, my precious safety card MSF key to the installation properly stored at home with other important documents. Get to the installation gate, only to hear "I need to see your MSF card sir...", followed by threats to call the cops to come and impound my bike if I don't have one. Same old routine.. park off post.. walk.. retrieve card.. walk back, try again. Mention to the guard "I wonder how I got my vehicle sticker, which matches my plates, if I didn't have one of these cards...."

Sorry for the ranting... but each time I drive off base and see a large row of motorcycles parked just outside the gate, I figure each bike owner forced to park out there has the same frustration as I did, especially when I see police officers with ear-to-ear $mile$ ticketing / towing them........

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There's a lot I can't say here, for reasons I also can't say... but here are a few of my observations:

1) Requiring someone with a bright colored jacket with reflective stripes included in the design to wear a orange or yellow vest over the top of it, is a touch much.

2) When I was in need of a MSF Card, I was given an oppurtunity to attend a class on a military installation. I reserved my spot in the class, and had a conversation with the safety official that resembled the following:

- So, I need to provide the motorcycle to take this class, correct?

- Yes

- And the class is located (on the base)?

- Yes

- And I need a safety card to drive on the base?

- Yes

- So, I assume you can give me a temporary proof of enrollment or something so I can get the bike on the base to take the class?

- No, we can't issue any temporary passes until you have a safety card....

This went on for 15 minutes; even the safety official couldn't give me a method of getting onto the base without that safety card. It eventually ending with me formulating some plans about coming up with a truck, and some tiedowns, and then risking driving the bike during the course without a card. Worked out all my details, and sure enough, the evening before the class begins, I get a phone call saying "the class for which you have been enrolled (after a month of waiting for it) has been cancelled for an unknown reason, (probably because nobody with bikes could get on base) and the next available class at a different location was in 4 weeks. During my wait it was a 2 mile walk from my place of residence, to where I had to park. This is the ultimate picture of convienience, as my Guzzi is my only means of transportation.

Fast forward a few months, all paperwork issues taken care of, my precious safety card MSF key to the installation properly stored at home with other important documents. Get to the installation gate, only to hear "I need to see your MSF card sir...", followed by threats to call the cops to come and impound my bike if I don't have one. Same old routine.. park off post.. walk.. retrieve card.. walk back, try again. Mention to the guard "I wonder how I got my vehicle sticker, which matches my plates, if I didn't have one of these cards...."

Yup. This is all very frustrating. Just the other day I was asked to present my MSF card. I will say, however, that at least on my base it wasn't a deal breaker that I didn't have it on me. I said the same basic thing- "Well, I've got an active duty ID, stickers to match and current license and registration. All of which require an MSF card, so..."

;)

While down in San Diego last year, I was training at a Marine Base (Camp Pendleton) when I bought my Tenni. Marines are a whole 'nother level of absurdity, as even with the card, and all papers, they didn't want to allow me on base due to some base specific class they wanted me to have in addition. Their only *ahem* suggestion was that I leave my new Guzzi outside the base perimiter. In downtown Oceanside. Fortunately, a short ride down to North Island rewarded me with a security guard who was allowed to think on his own and I was able to get a base sticker from there.

I fully agree that a lot of this would go away if an 18 year old with his (or her) first decent paying job weren't able to spend 10 grand on a 180hp crotch rocket, requiring no real qualifications to get the keys. It's not that 70MPH hurts any less on a smaller bike, but the mentality of the rider is bound to be a bit different on a CB350 than a GSXR1000.

As far as gear goes, the Navy has pretty much the same requirements. Long sleeves, sturdy boots, gloves, etc. The vest thing is still sort of base to base. For sure at night it's required, but daytime usually calls only for contrasting colors.

I fully agree that a lot of this would go away if an 18 year old with his (or her) first decent paying job weren't able to spend 10 grand on a 180hp crotch rocket, requiring no real qualifications to get the keys.

I have watched this on unfold for the past 30 years with the military, and you have hit the nail on the head. Bottom line is; the past decade has really escalated with the young 20 somthing soldier/airman/seaman or marine on a gixxer or some "RR" that has put the military "instItution" into this corner. Their safety centers look at the daily carnage and try to reduce the loss of life through mandatory compliance guidance. I too have endured the MSF training (and learned), and get dressed to enter the base with resentment but I also understand the awareness it is all trying to instil. Granted the dress and visibility codes do not stop all the accidents but they certainly make you think about "safety", reduce the numbers, and the severity of some. Granted it won't save the kid with a couple of beers in him blowing through a traffic light, not making a turn due to excessive speed, or the sudden stoppage a maple tree offers. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the policies anymore than some, but I know why they are there. I applaud your efforts but I am not sure you'll win this one. Anything that goes against "Force Protection" is probably not going to get much traction, especially when an organizatin like the Army, often looses more soldiers to off duty motor vehicle accidents than in combat. As for freedoms, or right to chose; as you know, you surrender most of those at the gate when you enter any military installation. This is true for military and civilians a like.

In the US, I feel it is almost criminal to sell a first time bike owner a high strung crotch rocket. You cannot expect good things to happen without any training (MSF or otherwise). A 600cc bike today compared to 20-30 years ago is not the "entry" bike it used to be.

Ok, rant off (and no I am not a safety guy)... And on the good side... There is this guy at the gate on a Goose :D I find the gate folks actually cut me a bit of slack at times due to either the admiration of the mark or the mature guy that is driving it. I often get the wave through without much hasel as they recognize the bike and know I am probably not part of the problem.

ride safe my brothers :bike: