Scura/03 Rosso Corsa

Baldini

I have 02 Scura, I feel that cornering hard you can't get enough weight over thefront. It's a bit vague.The tank doesn't let you move your weight up. Has anyone tried raising forks in triple clamps?

I have forks on max preload, but feel the springs are too soft. Does anyone know what rate springs are in there? Comments on this site suggest maybe the 03 Rosso Corsa has it sorted - different springs?

I was just writing to someone else off list about this issue this morning.

Here's just what I wrote in that email....

"I'm still messing with my suspension settings. I know for myself the spring rates seem soft, at least up front. I weigh 215 lbs. and I also have the preload all the way up and am bottoming the fork. For the rear I suspect that I need a stiffer spring but checking out spring rates is on my 'to do' list.

I agree with you about more weight on the front end. It feels a little vague about what exactly is going on up there and I think more weight would help. This is also on my 'to do' list. "

....I don't know for sure if it's the answer, but you're not alone...

JohnK

The springrate on the Ohlins front forks on the Rosso do feel a little soft (at least for my 200 lb. weight). I have read on the Ohlins web page that the Road and Track forks come with .85 kg. springs. This is soft for my weight. The Guzzi manuel states that the standard setting for preload is 13mm (with the preload adjuster). and there is only 18mm. preload possible. That means that you can only crank up the preload another 5mm. You can add a couple of clicks on the compression damping to help the front end dive, if that is what you feel.

What does the bike do to make you feel that you need more weight over the front wheel?

Raising the forks in the triple clamps will put more weight over the front wheel and will also make the bike steer quicker.

I had a problem on my V11 Sport which lead me to installing aftermarket clip-ons but my problem was being blown off the bike at 90 mph. plus. The lower clip-ons really get the weight over the front end and the downside is wrist pain in city traffic.

Mike

Most Italian bikes are sprung for a 72 kilo rider 160 odd lbs?? if you are significantly heavier the spring rates will be incorrect the good thing about products like Ohlins WP etc is there is plenty of after market bits avalible off the self. Having your preload at maximum probally means you have over conpressed the spring and it in working in the very last bit of its travel as most MC springs are progressivly wound this also means its working in its stiffest part of its travel. Alternative springs retial for around 120USD plus fitting but you really need to measure static sags etc and take it to a shop that knowes what it is doing. With the conservative geometry of the guzzi you could get away with pulling th forks throuh the clamps but do in in small incremants ie 5mm. You could also try winding the rear preload up a little and backing off the front to get more whieght on the front or running a higher profile rear tyre or a lower profile front. These will affect the way the bike handles and if taken too far will make it susceptable to tank slapping. Having said that I have a 95 1100sport with the forks pulled through 10mm and have removed the steering dampner and had no problems even at race track velocities.

Thanks for the replies.

John K - It was me you were talking to off list!

Mike/Murray - in a corner I feel that the feedback from the front wheel is a bit vague. It feels, er ... too far away...It doesn't feel really planted, like it's drifting wide - might wash out, just generally not very confidence inspiring. I've had last 20 years on older Guzzis and when cornering hard would get my weight right over the front wheel. I figure if you get the front round, the back will follow! This bike simply doesn't let you get up over the front wheel. I'm about 190lbs so I guess the forks are too soft. How do you work out the correct spring rates for your weight?

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and what they had done about it - Hoping for a ready made solution but maybe it's a trip to the suspension shop.

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers, KB in Wales.

I am going to try a different set of tires to see if I can get a quicker turn in rate. My bike came with Bridgestone 020 and I am going to install the Metzeler Sportecs M1. The Sportecs were a little too quick for the 00 V11Sport, but on the 03 Rosso, they may be what the bike needs. :thumbsup:

Mike

Guest teros1

I think that you'll find that the higher/more swept bars are your main culprit for three reasons:

1. Obviously, they shift weight back off the front tire.

2. They provide great leverage, but that very mechanical advantage can limit feel.

3. At speed, the upright position and lack of fairing turns body into a sail. These aero forces are usually not totally steady.

I believe that a change of bars would be more beneficial than dropping the triple clamps.

Tires make a big difference too. I'm a Rennsport/Sportec guy. The Sportecs steer a little faster and warm much faster on the street (I had a set spooned on my Rosso before I took delivery). For summer and/or track, the Rennsports are da bomb.

Another data point: I was considering a Tuono (upright Mille) instead of the Rosso. I took both out for extended test rides on a blustery Bay Area day. The Tuono was fun but downright scary. I bought the Rosso!

Bars on my Scura are standard. Anyone fitted clip-ons below top clamp to Ohlins? I know lower bars/rearsets would help but I do like the relaxed standard riding position....

Still think forksprings are too soft - needs max preload to get 1/3 sag - if I'm doing it right.... I'm 190-200lbs, about same as you Mike - have you set the sag on your Rosso?

Still feel it's a weight distribution problem...Anyone out there raised the rear ride height on a V11?

Bob, was interested to hear about Metzelers - but how many miles do you get out of them? What pressures do you run on the road?

Thanks, KB

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Baldini,

Try the Metzeler Sportecs M1 tires! I am very happy with the way they feel. You will notice a slightly quicker steering which is needed for the long wheel based Guzzi. The front end never felt unpredictable and I pushed the Rosso very hard through the turns. Expect the rear tire to only go 4 to 5000 miles. I weigh 200 lbs. and the Ohlin's suspension felt fine after a little adjustment. Metzeler reccommends 2.5 bars front, 2.9 bars rear, which is a much higher pressure than the Guzzi owners manuel gives. I went with a few psi lower to start off with. :bier:

The front fork sag is 40mm. and the rear is 35mm., I have noticed that the 03 Rosso is much taller in the rear than my 00 V11Sport. This was really apparent when I put the Rosso up on my rear stand. On the 00 Sport, the rear tire would be off the ground at least one inch. With the Rosso, the rear tire is still on the ground. Looking at the rear swingarm where the driveline goes through, it looks like it is closer to the lower edge on the Rosso which means that the shock is longer. Now I wonder if the rear end was raised to get a steeper head angle or is the Ohlins shock slightly longer and causes the rear end height difference?

Mike :mg:

Mike,

I will try the Sportecs. Do you use standard sizes 120/70, 180/55? I thought the Guzzi handbook pressures seemed low.

I would be very interested to know exactly what settings you are running preload/comp/rebound front & rear. I get 38mm sag at front 1/2 turn off max preload. Are you measuring rear sag as wheel travel or at shock?

The bike doesn't handle bad - just feel I haven't got it set quite right yet.

What is different in the Rosso motor to my Scura? I read you said it pulled clean thru - no flatspots. Is that just improved FI? I always used to wonder if that front crossover fried alternators. I had 2 go on LM11 before I changed to seperate headers - but could have been totally unrelated...

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Cheers, KB. :drink:

Baldini,

I am using the stock tire sizes, 120/70/17 and 180/55/17, I am currently running 35 psi in the front tire and 40 psi in the rear.

I have my fork preload all the way cranked up, but my weight is 200 lbs. with out gear. I have the forks set to the stock settings for compression and rebound.

On the rear shock I added more preload to get the correct sag. The compression adjustments are 14 clicks from full tight (turned clockwise all the way and backed out 14 clicks), the rebound is at 8 clicks from full on. At speed, this setup worked great, when cruising the settings still may be a little harsh.

The 03 bikes are compleatly different from previous years. It is a plug and play setup. No tuning required. My problem is I want more sound from the exhaust and I know it will require at least a PCIII to correct the air/fuel ratio.

The midrange is greatly improved, I really notice it when cruising at 70mph and then opening up the throttle for passing. No downshifting is really needed. I did get the front wheel to loft off the ground this weekend which my 2000 V11Sport never did. As for needing more power? There is always a need for more horsepower!

Keep me posted on your findings,

Mike :mg: