Scura trip

Guest drknow

Guest drknow

Hey all,

Finally have a moment to recap the San Diego to Laguna Seca to Yosemite to Mammoth to San Diego trip I took for the USGP. It was the first real road trip for the Scura and I had a blast. Whenever possible, we took good twisty roads, even if it doubled the mileage, so the trip had to be 1400 miles plus. I went with a group that included a CBR1000RR Repsol, a Hayabusa, a nicely modded Superhawk, a 999S, an '06 ZX-10R, etc.

Before the trip I (uncharacteristically) took the time to wipe some of the bugs off, changed the oil to Motul 300V 15-50 and put the Redline Shockproof gear oil in the tranny. The bike still needs the throttle bodies synched and valves adjusted, but hey, who cares. The bike was already wearing some Bridgestone BT-002 T3 take-offs and I had thrown proper, read "non-ball-point-pen" springs in the forks and on the shock. I had new compression pistons and shim stacks for the forks on the table that I didn't get a chance to install but who cares.

On the way up to Camarillo for the group round up, I just super-slabbed it. I keep meaning to get the seat built up with firmer, taller foam and a new cover and that reminded me why. The grind in a staight line is always awful, but man, with the anticipation of the good roads ahead it was brutal.

We took off and headed into the twisties in Santa Barbera. Even with lots of big improvements waiting for it, the Scura acquitted itself admirably. I never had any problem checking out in the twisties, even against "superior" firepower, and it was pretty funny when we'd stop and chat. At one point, after waiting for the group for 10 minutes, we had a conversation that went something like this.

"That Guzzi sure seems like it's going well." This was my father-in-law talking. He's a very good, safe street rider who rides in the advanced group at any trackday on his 996SPS and rides a Hayabusa on the street that's been breathed on with the addition of a GSXR1000 front end, forged magnesium wheels, full Yosh exhaust, power commander, radial caliper, ohlins shock, 99 ECU, Braking 320mm roters and well, you get the picture. He's made it more comfortable and has a special sport touring windscreen and soft-bag set up to cover the miles. "At one point back there on that straight stretch," He continued, "I saw 180 indicated," and laughed "With my luggage!" Now, before anyone freaks out, we were in the middle of BFE, with no roads intersecting, miles from another soul, and on a very straight stretch.

His buddy says, "I cut it off at 150 trying to real you in." Everyone is high fiving these guys, cause they're both 70 years old, and very cautious and safe riders. I guess you could say I'm a bad influence, heh heh. I say, "I saw 135 finally, didn't think she could make it." They all roll their eyes. Then, over the next few days they all question me about the guzzi. I always say that it's hard to justify it on the surface, cause it's 530 lbs wet, most likely 75 hp at the rear wheel, and 60 ft/lbs of torque. Everyone always displays a serious case of doubt whenever I say that, but I continue with what all of you know; it's very easy to ride, and has a ton of personality. Plus, there's the Q-factor.

I think I'll get at least one of those guys to buy a V11 at some point, as long as I promise to set it up.

A short synopsis of the trip, cause this is already long. Lot's of twisties, destroyed my rear tire--totally bald--just about to the cords on the right side. Rode in 115 degree heat on more than one occasion. The power commander I got from Todd made a difference in the pinging, and the oil helped keep the thing mucho (or is that mas) cooler. That Motul is the bomb, baby! The Redline helped shifting immensely and I can heartily recommend both. I flogged it hard for hours on end in intense heat and it never missed a beat.

If I hadn't had the iPod and a long life battery and my awesome Shure E5c headphones I would've been miserable on a few long boring stretches. The playlist randomly served up everything from Tom Wait to Leonard Cohen, Stone Temple Pilots to Queens of the Stone Age, Anna Nalick to Aimee Man, Lyle Lovett to Tom Petty, Eminem to Offspring, Cake to Journey.... I have narrow musical tastes.

As I think back, I am drawn to one brief snapshot. Light is filtering through the pine trees onto dark, sinuous pavement; no cars, no other visible inhabitants but the Guzzi and I. As I flick it from left to right, Tom Petty's singing, saying something about running down a dream.

dk

Photo_072006_002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dr: nice ridin story. I ride with my daughter (last ride 3200 miles FL to Canada and back) and hope to be riding with her when I am 70+. You're living the good life! all the best. St.

Thaks for the ride.. :P

Yup...in the real world nothing beats a Guzzi.

I have a good story about one of our chaps carving up a Hyabusa with his

KLR 650...but I don't like to type as much as you.. :P

All that big bore go fast junk is just another penis enlargement scam.

(My new sound bite)

Guest drknow

Thaks for the ride.. :P

Yup...in the real world nothing beats a Guzzi.

I have a good story about one of our chaps carving up a Hyabusa with his

KLR 650...but I don't like to type as much as you.. :P

All that big bore go fast junk is just another penis enlargement scam.

(My new sound bite)

Are you saying I talk too much? :bike:

Glad you guys liked it. I will post more after some future rides. Plus, you can read the race reports too if you're feeling rather bored and have exhausted the rest of the internet, haha.

dk