What GPS?

Guest Nogbad

Guest Nogbad

Decided to get a GPS rather than a new shock after I whacked up the preload on the old Sachs and found it ain't too bad. To hell with sag.

A new shock is about the same price as a good GPS but I know what will make more difference to my riding pleasure. Also, it was piss easy to explain to the wife why I want an expensive GPS. Very much doubt if even Ratchethack could convince my good lady the V11 needs a new shock (and I wouldn't feel comfortable boring her to death)!

Anyway, so much for the preamble. Should it be:

Garmin Quest

Garmin Quest 2

Tom Tom Rider

Garmin StreetPilot 2720 or 2820 (Are these waterproof like the Quest?)

Mio 268+

BMW Wotsit (Massive wallet hit with this one though)

Something else?

HELP! Information overload. Has anyone got one they like?

Decided to get a GPS rather than a new shock after I whacked up the preload on the old Sachs and found it ain't too bad. To hell with sag.

Just returned from a first ride out with the Garmin 2820. Installation was relatively straightforward. Navigation was a bit annoying, but no more so than TomTom. Software documentation was nil, but it worked. It is water proof. Didn't yet have a chance to try out the FM traffic routing (XM in the US).

Nogbad

I can comment on Quest ownership:

Good points

Price (£325)

Maps of Britain, Ireland and Western Europe included

Easy to download new maps and updates from your home PC

Long battery life (20 hours) so you do not necessarily need to power it from bike (although you can with extra kit)

Waterproof

Car kit included

Easy to use

Bad points

Small screen

Need to take gloves off to use buttons

Ireland map limited to main roads (better than Tom Tom which has nothing)

Screen went a bit funny when used in below freezing temperatures.

Recent software glitch which means it needs rebooting occasionally which is a pain when you are riding but to be fair it has had a right bashing over the last 2 years.

Can only search by address not postcode.

Whatever you chose I can recommend the GPS warehouse who are cheap, efficient and stock a variety of mounting kits.

Good luck

Guy :helmet:

Garmin Quest

Garmin Quest 2

Tom Tom Rider

Mio 268+

Something else?

My opinion is to get a PDA , with GPS antenna intergrated , ot (better) extrernal unit, for the reason that you can enter any maps (programs)you like inside there,

i.e. Navigon , or the tom tom , or the Destinator , or the Via michelin, the list is endless.AFAIK the garmins accept their own maps that are quite expencive (correct me if I am wrong, perhaps the PDA from garmin accepts others? :huh2: ) Garmin definatelly have the most accurate maps in the bussines(they make stuff for planes as well) but since I am not in to digging holes or constructing buildings, or flying, or diving,I don't need that pricey acurracy

I use the Navigon thing and has proven to be a very acurrate and reliable programm, on my Siemens loox 410 PDA, ith en external GPS antenna.An excellent assistance in m last Europe tour have saved me money and lots of time.

New generation PDA's have faster proccesors, dunno what's the improvement in the screens cause at direct sunlight on to the screen I can't see s**t :lol:

And that's the one and only dissadvantage I have found so far, have to have it under shade to see.

My opinion is to get a PDA , with GPS antenna intergrated , ot (better) extrernal unit, for the reason that you can enter any maps (programs)you like inside there. . .

I've used both PDAs and dedicated devices. Advantages of each depend on your applications.

Advantages of PDAs over dedicated GPS devices:

- Flexibility of software and maps. Just about any digital map you can find can be used for navigation.

- Can be used as a PDA to store useful information on the road

Disadvantages:

- Not waterproof, but you can get bulky waterproof enclosures from companies like Otter

- Poor screens in sunlight

- Short battery life (

- No 12 V input, so somewhat more complicated to install if not running from internal battery

- Less stable operating system (possibly due to 3rd party applications)

- More fragile

For boating, I still go with a PDA because it is most important to be able to load up to date charts from wherever I can find them. For on-road touring, Garmin has won me over. But if I were going off road, I'd want something more flexibile than the 2820 or any of the devices that focus on turn-by-turn navigation.

The mapping data used in the Garmin units all comes from Navteq. The mapping data in the TomTom units comes from TeleAtlas. Between them, Navteq and TeleAtlas control the market in mapping data and do a pretty good job of keeping each other on their toes. Not much to distinguish them on that score, in my experience.

One thing I would definitely recommend against: a PDA with a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Not only are these much more expensive, but you'll feel like an idiot in tangled cables when you have to plug the PDA and the "wireless" receiver into a Y-adapter to the cigarette lighter to keep them going for more than a few hours.

sws

If the Garmin 60csx or 76 csx is available, you should add them to the list: They have many of the good points of the Garmin 276c, but allow you to use standard memory cards, not the proprietary Garmin (re: $$) memory.

After blowing my brains out :unsure: on what GPS to buy, I went for a 276c and haven’t looked back. Now that the newer models are out, the prices are coming down from the stratosphere.

Check out advrider.com – there’s a fairly large contingent of the adventure crowd that is using GPS in their travels. Baldy’s set up a section just for GPS, which may be of some assistance.

Phil

Garmin Quest

Garmin Quest 2

Tom Tom Rider

Mio 268+

Something else?

I have a older version of the StreetPilot, a 2610. It is weatherproof. The screen is large enough for my aging eyes. The touch screen works reasonably well with mid weight gloves on. I've seen the new model has more features and different views than what I've got, looks pretty nice. The 2610 uses a CF memory card, I'd assume the 2720 does as well, but worth knowing. Garmin is the name in GPS, if I were to get another it would be another Garmin. :thumbsup:

Oh yea, I'd recommend their stock too -_-

Guest azccj

I have both the Garmin 2610 and the Garmin Nuvi 350. Both work great but the nuvi is much smaller and has a rechargeable battery that last for about 4 or 5 hours of use, the 2610 is not for walking around with since you need an external power source. The nuvi is also a mp3 player and does a lot more than the 2610. The nuvi also cost about double that of a 2610.