no brake lights, tach, headlight

guzzista

Today, out of the blue, no headlamp( except the little parking bulb) no brake light, tach, or horns working.Relays ok ( swapped around with new units) fuses ok, also checked the gang plugs under the tank ( both sides). Any suggestions? any help is greatly appreciated.

I had a wire come adrift within the ignition switch. I was left with what you've lost so I'm wondering if the same has happened to you but the other common feed inside the switch. Have you had a look at the wiring diagram to see if any commonality?

Thanks, guys, great advice!.Both are good suggestion as both the broken ignition wire thing happened to me,(on my Cali) and in the case of the 4 pin relay thing I also had to learn that the hard way... turned out that one of the swapped in relays( new) was faulty, and after extensive checks for power and ground ( with a lot of bike bits scattered about), the offending relay was changed out and, voila'!... got back the tach, oil pressure light, both high and low beams and most importantly, the brake light. Cheers

Hi, Polebridge, what with all those items not working( esp the brake light ) I wasnt able to run and check the running until the commute home from work last nite..and the verdict is... it is better! lthe accell feels smoother , aggressive accell from a stop much improved, but low, mild accell or trailing throttle/off throttle to back on throttle still hiccups...and, in traffic at that, which makes a bit of a pain to ride as it is my commute bike..... time to get on that dyno, which in these parts we have the best( Factory performance tuning,all kinds of race bikes get dyno tuned there) , they are using their own box( not Power Commander) and fine tuning to a gnats ass, just wont be cheap.. anyhoo, thanks so much, and I .will PM ya for more...

Sorry to hear that it did not solve all your problems. I had the hiccups also (but not as bad as yours) but the custom map seems to have fixed it in my case.

I guess your will have to get the custom map. Oh well...it's worth it if it solves your problem.

Good luck with it.

Guzzista:

The symptoms you describe could easily be caused by a slight leak at the exhaust crossover. Immediately after starting the cold bike (so you don't burn your hands) feel for leaks around the joints of the crossover.

This was the problem with mine.

Thanks, Greg,as suggested I checked for exhaust leaks after starting the bike first thing in AM, and hoping like hell that an exhaust leak would show up, but, alas, no cigar.The front crossover, thanks to the Aaron Bard shims, seals perfectly,and the rear( Ferracci) , even after my attempts at mimicking an Italian Renaissaince sculptor with a ball peen hammer( your suggestion to make clearance for the centerstand) is still sealing well.... still chasing the Ghost in the machine....thanks,again,Polebridge...still owe you for the map share...maybe this bike is dead set to visit its spiritual home, Moto International or it just wont be happy...Cheers

new user/ new owner...

2000 sport

bike has same electrical problem with the added bonus of not keeping a charge on the battery.

yes, replaced the battery.

have been riding during day and plugging in to charger at night.

The bike has had the grounding bypass/ update.

checked fuses and connections.

Runs well and gets good spark. Until it runs out of battery.

er, have learned how much I can clock before I need to get it home.

I should be meeting up with the local MG club tomorrow afternoon.

between here and there I should be okay.

has anyone put together a printed DIY shop manual?

thanks,

myra.

Today, out of the blue, no headlamp( except the little parking bulb) no brake light, tach, or horns working.Relays ok ( swapped around with new units) fuses ok, also checked the gang plugs under the tank ( both sides). Any suggestions? any help is greatly appreciated.

new user/ new owner...

2000 sport

bike has same electrical problem with the added bonus of not keeping a charge on the battery.

thanks,

myra.

Welcome,

Guzzista eventually traced it to a faulty relay, his replacement was broken, Have you checked yours?

Does the charge light come on with the ignition but go out when running - that would indicate that the charging side was okay, and your charge was just draining away over night. DLaing was lossing some of his, I think through a combined effect of regulator and battery faults, through the ECU. Electrics aren't my strong point despite having a few issues.

On the manual front if you're after schematics follow the link in Callison 's sig block to his ones http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/sch...9_V11_sport.gif

I had the same problem on my 1100 Sport. It turned out to be that both the regulator/rectifier unit had gone (and hence no charge warning light) and so had the rotor. An expensive trip down the road!

Richard

new user/ new owner...

2000 sport

thanks,

myra.