after market fairing for my Ballabio

scott54

I'm finding that the wind noise on my helmet is worse when sitting in the usual position than when I stand to get my head above the redirected air of my fairing. I suppose one option is to remove it altogether and have a naked headlight (I would need to put a different light mount on so that the headlight doesn't protrude too far out front). OR, I would love to find some sort of plexiglass extension or larger screen that I can retrofit to my existing screen. Any suggestions?

Two options:

1) a Laminar Lip. They are on the web.

2) move the fairing back so that it swings with the bars, as on a V11 Sport. I did this to my Ballabio. Afterward, my helmet rides in clean air but also gets no protection. Looks way better, too, in my opinion.

I have noticed a similar problem with my Ballabio but have decided that I can live with it. While I did think of the option of moving the screen onto the handlebars, I thought the simplest solution would be to cut the screen down by 2 or 3 inches. By my reckoning this would drop the airflow down away from the helmet onto the chest just enough to stop the turbulence.

My main gripe is actually the seating position, which is great for up to about an hour and a half, but therefater the combination of all the weight being on ones arse and a hardish seat mean that things start to get a little uncomfortable. I'm actually considering clip ons so that there is a bit more weight on the wrists and less on the arse. I found my original V11 to be very comfortable because of the more balanced weight distribution.

Good luck with which ever modification you decide on. Perhaps you could let me know how effective your preferred solution is.

Cheers.

Thanks for the response. I went on Laminarlip.com and think I'll order. Testimonials were all positive although there weren't any for a Ballabio. I don't understand how I could remount the shield so that it moves with the bars given than the head light is fixed. Please explain as I am interested.

You throw away that silly prow that holds the headlight now, replacing it with the headlight holders from a V11 Sport, or make your own from aluminum strap (really easy).

Mr. Bean from this list has a Laminar Lip on his Ballabio. Perhaps he'll chime in.

Mr. Bean from this list has a Laminar Lip on his Ballabio. Perhaps he'll chime in.

Chime in I will... :D

My opinion of the Laminar Lip is mixed at best. First off it is butt ugly...nothing to be done about that though.

It's effectiveness seems to be dependent on the aerodynamics of your helmet. I used to ride with an Arai Renegade helmet and found the Lip to be effective in removing the buffeting. I recently retired that helmet and got an Arai Astral-X. The buffeting is back the way it was before! I have removed the Lip and replaced it a couple times with the new helmet and I guess it is just slightly better with than without but I probably wouldn't spend the money again. Part of the problem is that in order to make it effective in the first place I had to remove the black edging from the stock windshield...it didn't come off to cleanly so now without the Lip in place it looks crappy. sigh...

I'm finding that the wind noise on my helmet is worse when sitting in the usual position than when I stand to get my head above the redirected air of my fairing. I suppose one option is to remove it altogether and have a naked headlight (I would need to put a different light mount on so that the headlight doesn't protrude too far out front). OR, I would love to find some sort of plexiglass extension or larger screen that I can retrofit to my existing screen. Any suggestions?

Without a fairing you will have even more wind and noice thrown up to your face.

The best and most effective aerodynamic option would be to install the full fairing of he V11 lemans.

All other sounds to me more like speculations and perhaps a waist of time and money, compared to that full of the full fairing option.

:2c: Moto Guzzi tests what they put for a fairing for better aerodynamics and wind protection , so going for what is already tested you can definatelly have a gain out of it.

:bier:

Today I went naked for a quick ride :moon: (I took the useless fairing off)

Noise was drastically reduced. Actually the bike doesn't look that bad with the prow mounted headlight but I think I'll convert as suggested above. It's too bad Guzzi doesn't offer a replacement lense for the stock fairing with an extended height.

I'll chime inwith my 2 cents. I took the fairing off the Scura (with the fairing which turns with the bars) and found the ride was much quieter. For my 6' height, the fairing puts all of the turbulence right at the bottom edge of my helmet.

For purely vanity related reasons I put it back on. I wish there was a way to bleed a little air into the space behind the fairing, that'll sometimes help with these issues. For me the noise/buffeting isn't enough to detract from my enjoyment of the bike so I decided against worrying about it further.

johnk

G323: Try removing the edging from the shield. This may reduce turbulence enough to make the noise tolerable.

With Ballabio bars and a Coppa Italia fairing mounted to swing withy the bars, my helmet's in nothing but clean air. I'm 6'3".

Mr. Bean: If you don't want the Laminar Lip, I might be interested in it. I could pay or make a trade that could include a shield with intact edging.

I'll chime inwith my 2 cents. I took the fairing off the Scura (with the fairing which turns with the bars) and found the ride was much quieter. For my 6' height, the fairing puts all of the turbulence right at the bottom edge of my helmet.

For purely vanity related reasons I put it back on. I wish there was a way to bleed a little air into the space behind the fairing, that'll sometimes help with these issues. For me the noise/buffeting isn't enough to detract from my enjoyment of the bike so I decided against worrying about it further.

johnk

I didn't get on with the too low Scura screen either.....

This is what I did.

V11_S304a.jpg

I could have put a V11 Le Mans fairing on........but that was wwwwaaaaaaayyyyyy too easy! ;)

Nige. B)

I didn't get on with the too low Scura screen either.....

This is what I did.

V11_S304a.jpg

I could have put a V11 Le Mans fairing on........but that was wwwwaaaaaaayyyyyy too easy! ;)

Nige. B)

What exactly did you do. I like it.

What exactly did you do. I like it.

The easy option would have been just to stick a V11 Le Mans fairing on.

Well, apart from that being too easy, TBH I don't particularly like the lines of it.

Also I felt I wanted to echo a bit of the history of the marque. I don't know how far back you can remember, but I had a '75 750-S3 throughout the eighties. That is what prompted the 70's tank badges and graphics.

I always liked the look of the LM2 fairing, especially after riding one a fair way once. As a result of that, I fitted one to my S3, and was very happy with it for the rest of my time with the bike. The only thing I didn't like was the really naff rectangular headlamp.

So I decided I would make one fit the V11. I wanted to retain the standard V11 headlamp so, with the help of a friend modified the handle bar mounted top fairing to suit.

There was a lot of work to make it fit, and most of the damaged original LM2 fairing was Dremelled onto the floor! ;)

I am very happy with the way it turned out though.

Nige. B)