In search off rear wheel inner spacer

vtv11lemans

This is in referance to my July topic "Rear Wheel Bearing Bugaboo" ('02 LeMans). It's apparent that I need a new inner bearing spacer prior to installing new bearings. An order was placed by a N.H. MG dealer (where my Bike presently resides) to the NA distributor. I've learned (after 2 weeks) that they're out of stock and can't provide an availability date (according to the dealer). Just started to call around other dealers in US to see if there's anybody out there with one on hand. It's the large spacer between the main bearings, approx 113mm in length. So far I've struck out with Harpers (though Curtice did mention he's got rear brake pedals available, for those in need). Any other dealers likely to have this item in stock? Does anybody have a part # for this elusive item (perhaps an upgraded beefier part) and secondly perhaps a second source (small machine shop). I'd also like to pursue a dealer/shop or an individual that has resources to get a part from Europe/Britain as long as the shipping isn't too absurd. Perhaps the European distributorship is a little more competent. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Leon

I'd also like to pursue a dealer/shop or an individual that has resources to get a part from Europe/Britain as long as the shipping isn't too absurd. Perhaps the European distributorship is a little more competent. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Leon

I'd like to put in a good word for HMB-Guzzi.

http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/

Michael Behrendt delt directly with me via email to deliver a timing chest cover. It arrived with a new oil seal already installed as well, to my surprise.

Leon,

I did a very small run of these a while back and sold them to a couple of forum members. I wish I had more left and I would send you one, but I only have one left and that's destined for my bike. The cheapest, fastest way to get one is to just make one or have your local machine shop make one. It's ridiculously simple (if you bought one of my spacers subsitute "difficult" for "simple"). It's a tube: 114.31 mm X 25.10 (OD) X 20.50 (ID) or a wall thickness of 2.30 mm. A piece of 1" OD aluminum tube (use 6061 or 7075) will work just fine. Chamfer the inside edge so it's easier to put the axle through it.

If your local machine shop is unreasonable, then pop by your local university. The machine shop workers in either the physics or chemistry departments or the physical plant often do contract work.

Good luck,

Jason

Bigger bikeshops here often have the tooling to make you one, as Jason says, it's so simple. Only the right lenght counts. Buying a new one from guzzi is no solution. Because the chance they fit is small. Just measure your wheel to get the right lenght.

Leon,

I did a very small run of these a while back and sold them to a couple of forum members. I wish I had more left and I would send you one, but I only have one left and that's destined for my bike. The cheapest, fastest way to get one is to just make one or have your local machine shop make one. It's ridiculously simple (if you bought one of my spacers subsitute "difficult" for "simple"). It's a tube: 114.31 mm X 25.10 (OD) X 20.50 (ID) or a wall thickness of 2.30 mm. A piece of 1" OD aluminum tube (use 6061 or 7075) will work just fine. Chamfer the inside edge so it's easier to put the axle through it.

If your local machine shop is unreasonable, then pop by your local university. The machine shop workers in either the physics or chemistry departments or the physical plant often do contract work.

Good luck,

Jason

Thanks for your advice Jason. I'm seriously considering this route. I will run it by the wrench at the dealership and hope he's got the resources and desire. The only thing I have to clarify is the spacer length. The spec I got from a previous posting was 113.05mm +/- .02mm. You're quoting 114.3 mm. Can you or anyone else clear this up. Is the spec different on your V11 sport vs. my '02 LeMans. Or is the spacer intentionally long to allow for subsequent compression during wheel changes. Leon