Lurker about to Plunge

Guest Paul F.

Guest Paul F.

Hi Folks, I currently have a 04 Kawi Concours. Very soon I may buy a MG Bellagio. I have always admired and wanted one. Lust is more like it. I'm stuck in central Illinois, so I generally have to ride 3-500 miles for twisties. Its what I enjoy the most. I put 31,000 on my bike since new commuting and touring. Anyway, my ?, would a 04 Bellagio be a good canidate for a replacement for my bike as far as commuting, touring and camping? Any mechanical issues I should know about? Any recommendations for making this bike a touring machine? Thanks ahead for any input.

Never heard of a Bellagio. Maybe they have them in the states, but not here in Canada.

A Moto Guzzi as a touring machine is a minimalist. Lovely lopy engine, with minimal bells & whistles.

As it should be!

Ciao, Steve G.

You can comute/tour on anything. I've a Lemans now 27,500miles and has just turned 3 years old. Some people find the ergos not to their liking and go for peg lower and bar raise kits. The BillyBob comes with the higher bars so deals with that side. I don't think the fairing will give you as much protection as the Lemans, there were recent comments on the buffeting ( Um smorsgasbord :homer: )

On the Lemans I find the seat gets a bit uncomfortable, esp on long slogs 400miles on the european slabs looking for a stretch just before I need fuel so tend to top up early. But my usual fare of touring/landmark hunting gives me frequent stops altenating landmark/fuel and more involving roads all help to make it day long comfortable. If you check my RBR threads you will see I do many long days 12-16 hours up to over 700 miles.

The GTR1000 is a transcontinental tourer in the ilk of BMW K series RTs and Pan Europeans. The Guzzi is a much more rider involving machine and can be a bit demanding, but most of the niggles have been sorted on the later machines.

There are a few Billy riders who can give their accounts on comfort and suitablity, but for my riding I'd go again with a Lemans varient. If you search there are people swaping the fairings around both ways so it's purely individual taste.

I take it's solo use only. I wouldn't put anyone on the back of a V11 for more than a quick jaunt, though Big J and Ferguzzi brought their significant others to last years Erin (Irish) rally but they are local (loco).

Hi Folks, I currently have a 04 Kawi Concours. Very soon I may buy a MG Bellagio. I have always admired and wanted one. Lust is more like it. I'm stuck in central Illinois, so I generally have to ride 3-500 miles for twisties. Its what I enjoy the most. I put 31,000 on my bike since new commuting and touring. Anyway, my ?, would a 04 Bellagio be a good canidate for a replacement for my bike as far as commuting, touring and camping? Any mechanical issues I should know about? Any recommendations for making this bike a touring machine? Thanks ahead for any input.

I agree with Martin Barrett about a LeMans variant being a more likely equivalent to/transition from Kaw Concours, tho I don't think any Guzzi quite fits that bill. I have a Ballabio, and have ridden (albeit only a few miles) an 04 Concours (which, btw, I liked, especially for what I suspect is its forte, eating miles).

My Ballabio has 20K miles, all mine. I think I must have an iron butt, without nerve endings at all, because 1) I like the stock 98 EV seat :race: and 2) have ridden my Ballabio, fully loaded with saddle bags, tail bag, and more, from Atlanta via back roads entirely, to Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc., without any discomfort issues.

Also just had a fine 4-dayer up in the S.C., N.C., Tenn., & n. Ga. mountains, again fully loaded, with docc and other members here. See pics at: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...opid=95959&

And, assuming I can get it serviced and back together (it's not merely naked, but stark, just now out in the Garage; Wayne Orwig is on his way over this a.m. to teach me--a useless wrench--the art of adjusting valves, etc. [yes, Martin, et al, I've printed all the "how to" posts here on various tasks, and will tackle those after Wayne leaves :luigi:)], plan on 5-day, 2K ride up to Erie, Pa., again, via "long cuts" and back roads. My point is that I find it a fine tourer and sportbike and all the things that brought most of us to Guzzi ... and kept us here.

That said, you will find a Ballabio a seriously different m/c than your Kaw and the LeMans a bit closer, at least in wind protection, such as it has.

I love mine, know of no one who has one who doesn't feel similarly (with an off day or two! :rolleyes: ), but I urge you to try to borrow one to ride it a few miles before you leap. Leave your lotions, mouthwash, etc., at home, and take a day flight to Atlanta, and I'll let you take mine for a romp in the mountains. :mg:

Best wishes in your decision; hope to see you here as a member/owner sometime soon.

Bill

:P Move to W.Va. then buy the Guzzi.

After my adventure borrowing my buddies RT I can say the

Concourse is a more motorcycley motorcycle than the B'mer.

Multiply that by 4 and ya got a Guzzi. :mg:

I jujst did a 588 mi day on the LeMans (all slab...ick!)

It would have been better on a Concourse but I avoid the slab as much

as possible and where you have to shift, break, throttle, lean, throttle...nothing

compares to a Goose.

Guest geno929

Hi there Paul F and welcome to Guzzi Madness. I grew up in St. Charles, IL. I know Auburn well. I too owned a Connie. Loved that bike and would still have it if I had a bigger garage. It's full of my 2000 V11 Sport and 2 CBR 600RR's and a ZX10. Up on the repair stand is a 98 Triumph Daytona 955, so no room for the Connie.

If it's twisties you seek, come to Southern Missouri. We got em, and we're keeping them. Not too far away from you is So. Wisconsin. Some nice roads in the area, but nothing like we got. BTW, my Connie got too hot, especially in the summer, in traffic! UGH! Hated that. The Guzzi is a cool ride. In All respects! Good Luck, Geno.

Paul,

I would advise you AGAINST a Guzzi unless you are nearby twisty, hilly roads where they shine. It is also important to have a dealer near by. Guzzis tend to be a little finicky with odd things going wrong until they are all 'sorted.' This could take a couple years of headaches. If the majority of your riding is on flat, open road, stick with a bike made for that with good wind protection and super dependability. That's not a Guzzi.

Guest Paul F.

Thanks for all the fedback. I'm not looking for something that's just like the Concours. What would be the point! I would love to test ride a MG, but atlas, I know of none close. I may check out the dealer south of me. It is in Edwardsville and fairly close, 100 miles. Bill, thank you so much for the pictures and input. What kind of soft luggage did you find for your bike. I know they make a hard luggage option and thats what I thought I would try and get. I'm temped to ride to Atlanta to take you up on your offfer. Very generous. I logically should keep something like the Connie here in Illinois, but I not claiming to be sensible. I will look at Lemans variats again, but I am called to Billy Bob. Yes, southern Mo. and Arkansas would be areas I was refering to to hit twisties. If I decide to go Ballabio route, do you guys think its best to buy used with low miles or explore that outfit thats selling the old surplas out of Seattle? Sorry for the lenght. Thanks again for your help.

Greetings Paul and welcome to our little forum. :bier: I also own an 02 Connie along with my 04 LeMans. I bought the MG initially for short local trips and weekend stuff but now I find that I ride it far more than the Connie. I'm sure that will change as the weather gets colder. The Connie as you know is a very warm blooded beast. I've been down to the Smokies via the Blue Ridge and in a couple of weeks I'm headed up to Ontario for their rally. I think the two bikes complement each other well. I can add nothing to this discusion about the BillyBob but I really like my LeMans and would highy recommend it. I added Convertabars and Buel pegs tomake the ergos better. I've done 600+ with no big problems. Good luck in your search.

:mg:

Paul, I don't know how far it is from you, but Ned's Auto and Cycle in Riverside, IA is a great Guzzi dealership. Jim is the proprieter. They're open late (6-9?pm) on Monday nights if you want to stop by sometime.

disclaimer- I'm just a happy customer of his and I like the free popcorn on mon nights.

Thanks for all the fedback. I'm not looking for something that's just like the Concours. What would be the point! I would love to test ride a MG, but atlas, I know of none close. I may check out the dealer south of me. It is in Edwardsville and fairly close, 100 miles. Bill, thank you so much for the pictures and input. What kind of soft luggage did you find for your bike. I know they make a hard luggage option and thats what I thought I would try and get. I'm temped to ride to Atlanta to take you up on your offfer. Very generous. I logically should keep something like the Connie here in Illinois, but I not claiming to be sensible. I will look at Lemans variats again, but I am called to Billy Bob. Yes, southern Mo. and Arkansas would be areas I was refering to to hit twisties. If I decide to go Ballabio route, do you guys think its best to buy used with low miles or explore that outfit thats selling the old surplas out of Seattle? Sorry for the lenght. Thanks again for your help.

Paul,

I was serious about the offer, but you'd better wait a few days cuz it's apart on the lift. Should be ready by next weekend.

As for luggage, lotsa options out there, but I've been VERY happy with this: http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.ph...=148&cat=43

As for where, up to you, but if you mean Moto-International, cannot go wrong, IMO. MPH, Speakers, others are great, too.

On a not-quite-what-you-asking, think on this one, too: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?PHPSE...mp;topic=5399.0

I sat on it yesterday. Rode identical one in Italy. VERY nice. A very good deal, I think.

Bill

Guest Paul F.

OK. Now I'm worried. What does ad mean by " transmission work has been done as is required by all Ballabio's"? There is an ad on this fourom with a 04 thats for sale that looks reasonable to me. I'll keep exploring, and thanks for the tip on bike in Atlanta.

OK. Now I'm worried. What does ad mean by " transmission work has been done as is required by all Ballabio's"? There is an ad on this fourom with a 04 thats for sale that looks reasonable to me. I'll keep exploring, and thanks for the tip on bike in Atlanta.

Paul, Paul, Paul. Relax.

That is a Breva 1100, not a Ballabio.

The Breva 1100 is a new Guzzi and (sort of; others here will shoot me for saying this) a successor to the spine-framed V11 Sports and Californias as it does pretty well (but not quite) what both of those very different Guzzis do.

Call if you like and I'll say more, but I have don't have time to peck keys as the GarageMahalo and my Ballabio's in deshabille. :D

Bill