Got my papers

dhansen

Well folks, after a two month wait I finally have the title and papers for the silver '00 V11 that was left to me by my friend who passed away earlier this year. Hopefully I'll be on the road for real by the end of the week.

Funny thing is, his title and registration say it is a 2001 model first registered in 2002. He was the second owner having purchased the bike in 2004. (From the numbers it looks as though he only rode it 180 miles). I can believe it might have been a leftover not sold until 2002 but calling it a 2001 bugs me.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if I should try correcting the misinformation when I re-register the bike or just go with the flow........ let sleeping dogs lie........... NOT piss in the wind..............

Dennis in Maine.

Dennis,

The vin will clarify the production year. You'll either see an ...XXX01XXX... or an ...xxxo2xxx... in the vin.

Thanks sB.

Hmmmmm. No "01", "02", "00" or "99" anywhere in the VIN on the headstock. The engine number does begin with 01xxxx however. Any other thoughts?

dhansen

Thanks sB.

Hmmmmm. No "01", "02", "00" or "99" anywhere in the VIN on the headstock. The engine number does begin with 01xxxx however. Any other thoughts?

dhansen

This might not be much help as i'm at work and can't get out either to look at my bike or have any papers here. But the VIN hand book we have here dated 1995 :( has for cars the standard format the 10th character is the year x-99;y-2000; 1-2001 etc.

However whilst normaly when manafactured in can some times relate to the model year, but the US format may be different - try a google search

From the faq that some handsome, intelligent fellow wrote (using Todd's info):

Decoding the VIN number (thanks to Todd Haven of MPH Cycles)

Z is for Italy

GU is for Guzzi

KRAKR designates 1100 spine frame 2000-2002(sport and Lemans)

9th digit is undefined

10th digit is model year(nor production)

W-98, X=99,Y=2000,1=2001,2=2002

11-16th digits are identifying serial number for your specific bike.

From the faq that some handsome, intelligent fellow wrote (using Todd's info):

jrt and Martin, thanks, you are right. Guess my bike is an '01.

Guess I need to look a little closer and see just what I have!

dhansen.

Guess I need to look a little closer and see just what I have!

OK. For some reason I was thinking the all silver (or grey) Sport was only made in '99 and '00. Looks like they were also made in '01.

Thanks for the help!

OK. For some reason I was thinking the all silver (or grey) Sport was only made in '99 and '00. Looks like they were also made in '01.

Thanks for the help!

The thing to remember about Guzzis are... there are no rules (when it comes to "model years...") ;)

The silver Sport may have only been imported to the UK for those years, yet the shipments to the US market got the last few stragglers in '01 (or vice-versa. You know how it is. It's Moto Guzzi fer Chrissake's! That kind of charming inconsistency is part of the trademark! :grin:)

That sort of depends upon how anal your particular state DMV is. I bought a 2001 V11 Sport TT through a dealer on consignment. Somehow, when the original paperwork was filed, they used the number on the muffler as the VIN!!! Paperwork was submitted at the time of resale to correct the matter and a mere 17 months later, the great state of California finally got it's eggs in one basket and issued a new pink slip. I rode around with temporary registration for a year and a half! As if to add insult to injury, this same bike got totalled about 4 months after getting the real registration and was reassembled with a different frame. It took two years to get the bike back together and running and in the interim, I moved. Oklahoma took 4 months to issue a new VIN after receiving the paperwork.

Guest ratchethack

That sort of depends upon how anal your particular state DMV is. I bought a 2001 V11 Sport TT through a dealer on consignment. Somehow, when the original paperwork was filed, they used the number on the muffler as the VIN!!! Paperwork was submitted at the time of resale to correct the matter and a mere 17 months later, the great state of California finally got it's eggs in one basket and issued a new pink slip. I rode around with temporary registration for a year and a half! As if to add insult to injury, this same bike got totalled about 4 months after getting the real registration and was reassembled with a different frame. It took two years to get the bike back together and running and in the interim, I moved. Oklahoma took 4 months to issue a new VIN after receiving the paperwork.

My condolences, Carl. I have a car that's STILL without a title after 2 years of battle with DMV over a non-existent lein. I see this kinda stuff as yet another example of the level of efficiency you get with the finest monolithic monopoly bureaucracy y'er tax dollars can buy. What do they perpetually need to "improve efficiency"?? That's right. You gue$$ed it. :homer: