Am I crazy?

ALdad

P4150135a.JPG

I became infatuated with the latest generation of V11’s the first time I laid my eyes on the green sport. In 03. I started bike shopping and ended up buying a 03. 800ie monster. This was the perfect starter bike for me. 99% of my riding is daily commuting 30mi total to work and back. I modified the wind shield for more protection, added hard bags and lowered the foot pegs .It has carbfibe arrow cans and it sounds really nice (maybe a little loud). I love this bike. No problems so far except a couple of failed brake light switches 24000mi. I also have a great local dealer. I am ready now for a bigger bike with more open road capability. I still can’t stop thinking about the 2000green sport. I have watched this site and others for awhile and have seen such mixed reviews. I plan on doing as much wrenching as I can I am not so sure about my local dealer. I have heard MGs are very reliable, but. What’s up with the speedo failing, the shift pawl spring failing, the electrical system problems can you ride them in the rain? Any other quirky problems that will leave me on the side of the road (this would be bad!). I don’t want to spend every week end working on it. I would like to put a Harpers A755 wind shield, Richmaund seat, Mistral or some other performance exhaust, regular bars, lower the foot pegs a little and add some HepcoBecker bags . This would be a great ride. What do you guys think? Can I count on this bike as my primary mode of transpo.? Does any body have more than 25k problem free miles on a late model V11? Comments please. Im so grateful for this site and the knowledgeable guys on it. I am new but don’t hold any punches, I can take it.

Cheer!! ALdad

Crazy?

Yep, you are crazy like a fox!

Once you try goose, everything else is just chicken(except for the Ducks and Hogs).

Aside from the poultry comparisons, what makes a Guzzi great is can only be described with the greatest of prose...and speaking of prose, the pros for going with the Guzzi are:

Not the reliability, but the durability and ease of repair.

Not how fast or comfortable it is, but the experience.

It tends to be a better bike for those that like to do their own wrenching, but if you don't like to wrench, there is alway Moto Guzzi Classics for amazing service, and not very professional, THANK GOODNESS!!! :lol: (I can't stand these dealers with their "California Cool" professional service)

And if your Ducati shop will deal with a Guzzi, you have got it all covered.

EDIT Oh yah, the first 10,000 miles had a fair amount of minor problems.

Relays, oil cooler bracket, tachometer, sticking rear brake, bad rear bearing, decayed oil breather hose

The last 20,000+ miles have had a regulator and battery fail and maybe a couple other issues...can't remember.

Once known issues are sorted, the bike is reliable enough.

I became infatuated with the latest generation of V11’s the first time I laid my eyes on the green sport.

Does any body have more than 25k problem free miles on a late model V11? Comments please. Im so grateful for this site and the knowledgeable guys on it. I am new but don’t hold any punches, I can take it.

Cheer!! ALdad

Wellcome, I don't have any experienced opinion on V11"s since I ride the 1100ie Sport , the latter corsa model. I can though tell that after riding my bike for over 45K km in all kinds of terains,weather and situations. there wasn"t a single.There wasn"t a single wierd failure.

The electrics on these Sport models are waterproof and perhaps so is in the V11"s. The only problem when riden in rain is that if you travel in high speed (180km/h or more,that is having 6000 rpm or more)for some time, the oil pressure lamp can light up. But how usefull is to ride that fast in rain?

Except that I run out of battary once but that was normal (for the 6 year old one that was wearing) and a broken air temp sensor that caused the bike to have a very high fuel consumption.No other failures on the bike.

The late sport models of '97 and "98 were better made than the earlier they had also a helical type gearbox.

As far as early V11"s go a friend of mine has the green 99-2000 V11 sport but no problems anounced to me so far.

Apparently the bike needs a fairing for better air protectionwhen traveling high speed roads.

Rosso Corsas and Nero Corsas on V11"s are build with Ohlins and seem to have better build-construction quality than other V11 models therefore, IMO, more problem free bikes.

The newest models Breva serie and the Griso are on a new era with upgraded 2 spark motor, different chasis (no spine frame) and till now I have heared only good critisim from people or magazines that tested them,concidering ridability and reliability. Based on my personal experience they are a big klick or more, up in construction and reliability than ony other modern Guzzi.