Motorcycle Lift via Oil Pan - OK?

So, Orchard Supply(a local hardware store) has this great new ATV/Motorcycle/Snowmobile lift for a measly $120 that I saw a friend using on his new Harley the other day. The thing is built really well by Craftsman, and makes tinkering on the bike really easy. You just slide it under the bike and it has two padded arms that hydraulically lift it from underneath.

It's very stable, and has adjustments for leveling,

etc... anyway, quite nice, and what a deal... and I figure, hey if he'll put his $20,000 bike on it without worry, it should be safe :lol:

Now here's my question, on the V11 Sport/LeMans, is the engine(oil pan specifically) strong enough to lift the bike? On my buddy's HD, it has two frame rails that are taking the weight of the bike. Of course with the V11 Sport, it would have to be lifted with the lift under the engine, lifting it by the pan. Is this OK.... or not?

Just wanted to check before I went out and bought the

lift. I don't want to crack a case =)

thx!

al

The same lift runs about $90 at CostCo.

You have to be careful with the Sport oil pans. They're only considered strong enough to support the weight of the bike at the very front and rear of the pan. The middle where the oil filter cover is quite thin and I've been told that to lift there is to invite a broken pan.

I see no reason why it should not be capable of supporting the weight. I have lifted my Sporti by the pan on occasion, but have been very careful to do so by the very front and rear of it. Generally though, I use a crappy Lockhart-Phillips swingarm stand in back (and what a piece of lightweight crap it is too) and a Pit Bull triple tree stand in front.

...yeah, I'd go with Rich's suggestion of hanging it from the rafters, but unfortunately my 60 year-old garage would cave in! :rolleyes:

I've got the Guzzi shop/paddock-stand, and it's OK, but not so good if I ever want to take off any major bits... at least in my opinion.

We'll see. I may get the lift later anyway and experiment. My neighbor said I'm welcome to borrow it any time to test the "fit". I'll let you know how it goes if I do.

al

Guest jeremy

I have a 180$ engine hoist from northern hydralics and it'll pick up anything from a cast iron bathtub to my lawn mower as long as you can get straps around it and it dosen't weigh more than 2000 lbs.

:luigi::bier: and I can even roll it around in the air, if you need more stability then set the middle down on a steel bucket and go