side stand touch down

gthyni

2nd track visit today, this time on a carting track.

And an unpleasent suprise:

in a banked corner I was riding on metal to my big suprise,

took a good look to find the point of contact, didn't see it with

the sidestand out, but a mate spotted it when I was preparing

to back onto the track and flicked up the sidestand ( see attached image)

The pressure knob for the side stand kill switch and some alu beside is seriously worn.

It would be nice to find an altertive stand that don't have the pivot so far down...

any ideas??

stand.jpg

Guest ratchethack

Göran, I suspect that your fork springs are either not matched to your weight, your fork spacers are not set for correct preload, the fork stanchions are raised considerably in the triple clamps, or some combination of at least 1 or 2 of the 3?? :huh2: I've dragged the foot end of the sidestand enough to wear it down, even after shortening the rubber stop by half, which gave a surprising amount of added ground clearance before the stand would touch down. I've never touched the switch-adustment part of the stand down. But then, I've up-rated the fork spring rate by 50% over stock and set the preload accordingly by re-sizing the spacers to get the laden and unladen sags dialed-in correctly for my weight.

I have to the MotoSpecial V-sump so the rubber rest for the foot end of the stand is not there

and the stand rest up agains the exhaust pipe so that end much higher up than on a stock bike.

I also got Rossopuro footpeg which is higher up than normal.

So the lowest point obviously is the point of contact.

I had stiffened up my Paioli for track use,

but it is 15 mm shorter than stock so that can be part of the problem

but I am not going back to a Marzocchi fork.

I need a different attachment for the side stand either short or placed elsewhere

But for track days: allways remove sidestands.

and lean the bike against a tree? :D

I do that with my enduro bike but it is perhaps a bit radical with the street bike

and lean the bike against a tree

no on track days I have the shopstand, and I can put it under the bike without help.

Or just let the sidestand behind in the parking, when you return, just screw it in with the one big bolt. Done that too.

and lean the bike against a tree? :D

I do that with my enduro bike but it is perhaps a bit radical with the street bike

I've never had the Guzzi on the track (yet) but when I do track days, I always take the side stand off. I got a Sport Chock and it changed my life:

Sport-Chock-GSXR-750-medium.gif

I use it all the time in the garage, and as an added bonus, it makes securing the bike to a trailer a snap, especially when your doing it by yourself.

I got it from the manufacturer - http://www.baxleycompanies.com/ - not sure if they have a source in Europe.

The first daytona sidestand is mounted more on the front, and smaller. Doesn't have a switch.

But for track days: allways remove sidestands.

Is it the same for Sportis and later Daytonas?

Ed at Guzzitech had a warning and fix, here

FWIW I would love to have a self retracting stand :bier:

Goran, I found same problem. I take the sidestand off for track, only takes a couple of minutes & yes - find something to lean it against - it's no big deal. Still a problem on the road tho, esp cos you don't know where the hits are coming..... On mine, suspension's set pretty good - forks are slightly raised but Ohlins shock is long (could you raise rear?) - problem is lean angle permitted by sticky tyres - dunno what tyres you have, but grounding wasn't too bad til I put on Pilot Power 2CT's - going back to BT020's should sort it..... :unsure:

KB :sun:

Funny, none of the people who came out to find their bikes lying on the pavement after the sidestand self-retracted said that...

;)

Funny, none of the people who came out to find their bikes lying on the pavement after the sidestand self-retracted said that...

;)

Never happened to my V65SP

But I have pulled away with the kickstand down a couple times.

One time I had to pass my buddy on his Guzzi Sport and point down to his kickstand that was still extended at 40MPH(thankfully with no approaching left turn.)

I was thinking of rewiring the kickstand kill switch to activate the horn rather than kill the engine. :huh2:

Still it would be nice to know the sidestand was not in danger of touching down on surprise decreasing radius lefts...must be a bigger problem in the UK, Japan, etc.??????

OK,

I'm not alone.

side stand has to stay in the pits next time

Pirelli Diablos is the tyres of choice.

the problem was in the banked hairpin which is a bit downhill:

attachmenthi1.th.jpg

Is it the same for Sportis and later Daytonas?

Ed at Guzzitech had a warning and fix, here

no the first daytona has a self retracting stand, and is mounted more to the front. I had it for 9 years and the bike never went down. It's just what you are used to. Only if some stranger picks up the bike it might go wrong, but noone touched my bike:-)

side_big.jpg