My new light setup

wheelsucker

Finally finished, waiting on some of the posi connectors listed in another thread to wire up the switch permanently. For right now the switch wire has to be wired into the batter for the lights to work. All in all not bad, bad about $40 for the lights, still waiting on the 35w h3 bulbs so the pictures are with the 50w bulbs. I ended up mounting the lights on the front fender because of the ease of mounting them. I think it looks pretty good too, and the lights light up the entire street :bike:

Seems I can't figure out how to resize my pictures and put them in a format that the site can handle. I'll mess around with it and see if I can get them posted.

Got it!!!

DSCN0085.JPG

DSCN0086.JPG

DSCN0087.JPG

Guest Rocker

Finally finished, waiting on some of the posi connectors listed in another thread to wire up the switch permanently. For right now the switch wire has to be wired into the batter for the lights to work. All in all not bad, bad about $40 for the lights, still waiting on the 35w h3 bulbs so the pictures are with the 50w bulbs. I ended up mounting the lights on the front fender because of the ease of mounting them. I think it looks pretty good too, and the lights light up the entire street :bike:

Seems I can't figure out how to resize my pictures and put them in a format that the site can handle. I'll mess around with it and see if I can get them posted.

Got it!!!

If you wanted a Christmas tree with lights, why couldn't you wait until December?

Rockerob

I wish you luck on having enough juice to keep those going. With the dismal charging system you will find out when the battery won't start the bike.When my wife and I use our electric vests we have to use them judiciously lest we wear down the battery.

I changed out the bulbs for the 35w so hopefully the Le Mans has at least a spare 75w. I also won't be using them all the time, and the other thing I have going is that my commute is mainly highway(good for charging the battery). I'm getting a Kuryakn battery meter as suggested in another post to help keep an eye on it as well, may have to hook the battery up to a tender every week or so. Better than getting hit because someone didn't see me.

Guest ratchethack

Someone posted with a similar installation a few years ago. No offense, Wheelsucker my friend, but for the life of me, I cannot fathom why anyone would do this:

1. Engineers work hard and long to decrease unsprung mass in the design of wheel, brake, and suspension components. You've added mass back on where it's least wanted.

2. If there's a more violently vibrating place on a motorcycle over anything other than a billiard table-smooth surface for mounting delicate bulb filaments and reflectors than a fork lower end, I don't know where it is. I'd expect operating life to be a tiny fraction of what it would be if mounted on a "sprung" part of the chassis.

3. I don't know what the light-throwing capacity of these things are, but by your photo it's pretty low. They would seem to add little or nothing to your ability to illuminate the road ahead at night. If they're being justified simply for the purpose of increasing your visibility to other motorists, locating them as low as this on the bike is the least effective location. In many traffic situations or from over a rise in the road, they're invisible.

4. As pure useless bolt-on bling, I reckon it qualifies with the blingiest.

But then I'm merely a crusty old curmudgeon, and to each his own. :huh2:

I think you'll probably be alright, if you're staying highway when you use them. They don't look bad, and if you feel safer to boot, well...

As for the unsprung weight, I can't see that being enough to worry about, but I'd guess ratchet's thoughts on the bulbs getting shaken all to hell might be a problem. Good luck, keep us posted on the results!

Someone posted with a similar installation a few years ago. No offense, Wheelsucker my friend, but for the life of me, I cannot fathom why anyone would do this:

1. Engineers work hard and long to decrease unsprung mass in the design of wheel, brake, and suspension components. You've added mass back on where it's least wanted.

2. If there's a more violently vibrating place on a motorcycle over anything other than a billiard table-smooth surface for mounting delicate bulb filaments and reflectors than a fork lower end, I don't know where it is. I'd expect operating life to be a tiny fraction of what it would be if mounted on a "sprung" part of the chassis.

3. I don't know what the light-throwing capacity of these things are, but by your photo it's pretty low. They would seem to add little or nothing to your ability to illuminate the road ahead at night. If they're being justified simply for the purpose of increasing your visibility to other motorists, locating them as low as this on the bike is the least effective location. In many traffic situations or from over a rise in the road, they're invisible.

4. As pure useless bolt-on bling, I reckon it qualifies with the blingiest.

But then I'm merely a crusty old curmudgeon, and to each his own. :huh2:

1. I'd agree if he mounted them to the forks, but I can't tell. I assumed he mounted them to the sump.

2. I'd agree if....

3. I disagree. My experience with driving lights is they don't seem to add as much light as I had hoped, but they always to add more light, especially to the places that the headlight omit, resullting in better balance of illumination. The blue tint will get motorists attention. Being low will get the attention of people not looking for black helicopters and UFOs. The three light pattern helps distinguish you as a motorcycle. :bier:

4.Don't listen to the bling-nazi. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I mounted them where the two pieces of the wheel fairing come together on the outside of the forks. The reason for this is that we get fog in Maryland and placing the lights low gets under the fog. Placing them lower may have cut a little of the distance the lights can reach but I'm still able to see 10 to 20 feet past where my headlight reaches. Adding one to each side has also given me greater visibility to the sides. I went from the 50w stock bulbs to 35w. The difference is noticeable but not by a lot, still provides a lot of extra light. I also got a Kuryaken led batter gauge, there's almost no strain/drain on the battery unless I'm coasting or stopped in neutral. I highly recommend the Kuryaken led battery gauge.

ratchethack:

1. I don't think these 1/4 pound lights will do much to affect anything engineers have worked so hard for. They certainly haven't affected my handling or gas mileage.

2. If I have to replace $10 bulbs every six months or year, so what. Even the lights themselves only cost $50. Either way, nothing I'm worried about having to replace if they break.

3. read the paragraph above.

4. Where I come from bling means shiny crap that has no affect on usability or function. These do not fall into either category. If they had no function or served no purpose, they would not be added, but they are very functional. Especially since I leave for work at 6am and its starting to get dark earlier.

I mounted them where the two pieces of the wheel fairing come together on the outside of the forks. The reason for this is that we get fog in Maryland and placing the lights low gets under the fog. Placing them lower may have cut a little of the distance the lights can reach but I'm still able to see 10 to 20 feet past where my headlight reaches. Adding one to each side has also given me greater visibility to the sides. I went from the 50w stock bulbs to 35w. The difference is noticeable but not by a lot, still provides a lot of extra light. I also got a Kuryaken led batter gauge, there's almost no strain/drain on the battery unless I'm coasting or stopped in neutral. I highly recommend the Kuryaken led battery gauge.

ratchethack:

1. I don't think these 1/4 pound lights will do much to affect anything engineers have worked so hard for. They certainly haven't affected my handling or gas mileage.

2. If I have to replace $10 bulbs every six months or year, so what. Even the lights themselves only cost $50. Either way, nothing I'm worried about having to replace if they break.

3. read the paragraph above.

4. Where I come from bling means shiny crap that has no affect on usability or function. These do not fall into either category. If they had no function or served no purpose, they would not be added, but they are very functional. Especially since I leave for work at 6am and its starting to get dark earlier.

Fortunately in the UK this would be illegal - 1. height from road, 2. centre distances between lights, 3. use when NOT raining/foggy.

Now someone's just explained the meaning of the word Bling, I'm afraid it fits superbly. Have you thought of adding some fluffy dice?

Pink rain overboots might look good too!

Rockerob.

Wheelsucker - if they work for you, great. If your riding in the dark & fog to work every morning: respect to you. I used to have a set of foglamps fixed to engine crashbars on me ol Tonti - made riding in dark much easier. Do what you need to, take no notice of cheapshots from people who just like to hear themselves crow & for all I know only take the bike out sunny sundays to go sit outside the cafe. good luck to you mate! :thumbsup:

KB :sun: