Red Line Shock Proof Gear Lube

Guest Gary Cheek

Guest Gary Cheek

I have been considering a different gear lube for my once wonderful but now sorry POS V11 Sport gearbox.

So, from those of you who are actually using or have used Red Line Shock proof, which grade. I would also like to read the comments on the experiences from using the stuff.

I use the heavy, 'cause I'm partial to pink.

It made no difference to the shifting on mine, nor did it cure the very slight leak it has.

I use it because it sticks to metal like no other lube and has dropped temperatures on other diffs and gearboxes (Land Rovers) I've had in the past.

I use the shockproof heavy too and it didn't noticeably change my shift quality, but there was nothing wrong with my shifting before the Redline. I've been using Redline lubes in my manual tranny cars for years where it has noticeably improved shift quality.

Guest ratchethack

I have been considering a different gear lube for my once wonderful but now sorry POS V11 Sport gearbox.

So, from those of you who are actually using or have used Red Line Shock proof, which grade. I would also like to read the comments on the experiences from using the stuff.

Gary, though lighter grades seem to work well enough in both trans and bevel box, they're not correct for the application according to the way Redline has engineered their products. the Redline Tech I spoke with personally on this recommends Heavy. As an "early adopter" on this Forum a few years back, there were lots of skeptics to my rave reviews. I think many of 'em are using it now. If you do a search, you'll see the discussions. :sun:

Guest Gary Cheek

Gary, though lighter grades seem to work well enough in both trans and bevel box, they're not correct for the application according to the way Redline has engineered their products. the Redline Tech I spoke with personally on this recommends Heavy. As an "early adopter" on this Forum a few years back, there were lots of skeptics to my rave reviews. I think many of 'em are using it now. If you do a search, you'll see the discussions. :sun:

Ah yes, the skeptics.

I've heard it said "those who think they know are quite annoyed by those who know" Or something like that :glare:

Good tips, sounds like it is worth a try. After hearing of the mystery bearing retainer failure I was reluctant to try just any synthetic. Sounds like there is enough Red filtering through Guzzi gearbox seals and onto the hot crossover to make it worth a try.

BTW Does burning Red line SMELL any better than the regular gear oil? I sure hope so!

Guest ratchethack

BTW Does burning Red line SMELL any better than the regular gear oil? I sure hope so!

Many's the persistent old-wive's tale that still skulks around Guzzi rally campfires, but AFAIK, the mystery bearing retainer failure due to synthetic lube has pretty much been put to rest. -_-

I dunno about the smell of burning Red Line Shockproof Heavy. But I think some of the "regulars" might be able to give you an opinion on its use as a dessert topping. The exceedingly "regular" members may also have comments on its laxative effects. :lol:

I use the heavy. The only trouble I had before the change was the shift pawl would hang up periodically when hot requiring a wiggle of the shifter to select the next gear. That has not happened since the change to Redline. Not to take anything away from the product but the box had a lot of metal paste in the bottom before the change which probably contributed to the problem.

I have been using the Light since the weight numbers matched Guzzis recommended numbers.

I think it is a little too light for Southern California Summers, as it shifts better when the weather is cool.

I have been meaning to try the Heavy, since Janusz and Ratchet say their Redline representatives recommend it....

But I also kind of have Kalgard moly on my mind as it is a bit cheaper and may work as well or better.

I have mixed it in the past many years ago with Kendall three star and it worked great. I am thinking with synthetic, it will work even better.

PS for what it is worth, I found that when I had a gearbox leak the dyno actually leaked more than the redline light....I guess because the redline holds up better to heat...or maybe it was just a false impression as I certainly was not holding a graduated beaker under the gearbox when it leaked.

YMMV