Tire advice sought

Tom M

Guest ratchethack

. . . .your ability to be so rude never ceases to amaze me and that is what I am addressing.

Dave, I really couldn't care less what you consider rude. You carry around a fairly big bag of outright bizarre beliefs and viewpoints, some of which I consider seriously twisted -- but other than exposing the most egregious of your follies as you tend to air them here so provocatively, I don't get my knickers in too much of a twist over your posts. This is an open public forum. If my posts don't meet your requirements for civility, as long as I'm not violating forum rules, I reckon you've got a problem that's not my responsibility or anyone else's but yours.

You repeatedly fail to understand anyone else's TRUTH.

[. . . . . sigh . . . .]

After hundreds of posts on Relativism in the GW thread, I thought you'd made at least some progress, and now this. You've clearly regressed all the way back to a pre-Iron Age mentality.

Dave, I don't have my own truth, nor does anyone else. If you still think you do, you've succumbed to yet another of the most common and regressive Popular Kulture delusions after all.

When someone makes an absurd point on a public forum and, as in this case, repeats it as a declaration of fact without providing any basis for it whatsoever, he opens himself to all manner of challenge. Such is life. If you don't have the courage to stand up forcefully to absurd beliefs, or the stomach for those who do, I'm sorry for you. It explains lots of your weak and compliant GROUPTHINK behavior. Go find someone who meets your limp-wristed sensitivity requirements who gives a damn and tell them about it. :huh2:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my posts don't meet your requirements for civility, as long as I'm not violating forum rules, I reckon you've got a problem that's not my responsibility or anyone else's but yours.

[. . . . . sigh . . . .]

snip

When someone makes an absurd point on a public forum and in this case repeats it as a declaration of fact without providing any basis whatsoever for it, he opens himself to all manner of challenge. If you don't have the courage to stand up forcefully to absurd beliefs, or the stomach for those who do, I'm sorry for you. It explains lots of your weak and compliant GROUPTHINK behavior. Go find someone who meets your limp-wristed sensitivity requirements who gives a damn and tell them about it. :huh2:

Yet somehow I have the courage to standup to your heavy handed insensitivity.

You can deal it out, but you can't take it.

My Coppa came stock with Michelin Pilot Sports and I have had these tires on my Aprilia also. I have no complaints about them. They have plenty of grip in the dry (I slow down so much in the wet that I do not feel qualified to comment on ANY tires wet weather performance) and they wear well. The other day I hit an oily spot mid corner and both ends slid momentarily but then recovered as quickly as they let go.

On my Aprilia I recently switched to Diablo Corsas and these seem even better but I can't comment of the wear rate since I have not put too many miles on the Aprilia since owning the Moto Guzzi.

These days I think it's hard to go wrong with street tires. They are all pretty good for the type of riding you should be doing on the street.

Just my opinion

Ride Safe.

What is siping?

The way the treads displace the water whether due to depth or pattern

It's that – the tread grooves.

The Strada and the the Roadtec are very similar though, aren't they?

:nerd:

Modern motorcycle tires, at least the ones in question here do not have sipes. They have tread grooves . Sipes are the very slim cuts in the tread blocks in automotive tires. There are no voids in the rubber, just a slice to make the blocks more flexible. They are there for wet traction but motorcycle tires would be pretty squirmy with them.

I agree with the theory that Stradas & the Roadtecs are essentially the same tire & compound with slightly different tread pattern.

And, as Skeeve says, this has been blown way out of proportion

Sorry to interrupt the dlaing/ratchet spat - continue now.

• 1 month later...

My Coppa came stock with Michelin Pilot Sports and I have had these tires on my Aprilia also. I have no complaints about them. They have plenty of grip in the dry (I slow down so much in the wet that I do not feel qualified to comment on ANY tires wet weather performance) and they wear well. The other day I hit an oily spot mid corner and both ends slid momentarily but then recovered as quickly as they let go.

On my Aprilia I recently switched to Diablo Corsas and these seem even better but I can't comment of the wear rate since I have not put too many miles on the Aprilia since owning the Moto Guzzi.

These days I think it's hard to go wrong with street tires. They are all pretty good for the type of riding you should be doing on the street.

Just my opinion

Ride Safe.

Interesting... mine came with Metzler M1s... they lasted less than 3,500 miles (and I do NOT consider myself a very agressive rider)... just ordered metzler Z6s to replace them.

FWIW, I just switched to the Z6 on my Nero Corsa a few weeks ago.

I ran the 170/60-17 Z6 rear for 1200 miles with the Pirelli Diablo Corsa on the front. No ill effects.

I've run the pair of Z6s for 4500 miles with good results.

The Z6 is much pointier than previous Metzelers, so my Nero Corsa likes 'em. My Sport 1100 did not turn in well with the old ME-Z4. The Z6 is a completely different tire.

The Z6 turns in much better on my Nero than did the Diablo Corsa. Mid-corner stability is great with the Z6, too.

Going with the Z6 in the 170 size has actually caused a bit of an 'over steer'. The previous Pirelli Diablo Corsas caused a definite 'under steer' that I didn't like.

Doing it again, I'd probably go with the Z6 in the 180/55-17 rear size. I'll bet it would be perfect.

With the Z6, wet performance seems good. High-speed stability seems good.

I rode the hell out of my Nero Corsa in New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah over the past couple of weeks and was more than impressed with the Metzeler Z6 Roadtec.

The Pirelli Diablo Strada is the sister tire to the Z6 Roadtec. If you're wanting to stay 'Italian', you might try them. I haven't yet.

I've only had two sets of new tires on my 02 Lemans, a set of Metz sportec M1's with a 180 rear, and a set of Mich Power Pilots with a 170 rear, so far the Michelin Power Pilots are quite better handling with similar traction or a bit better than the Sportecs, which only lasted about 1500 miles. The power pilots seem to break away a bit more controllably than the sportecs, when they let go you slid a fair bit after you chopped the throttle, the michelins seem more controllable at the edge

YMMV

Jon