Triumph over Turn Signals

Bill Hagan

I have seen a few recent posts on various substitutes for unobtanium or ludicrously priced OEM MG turnsignals (or, if you will, "directionals" or "indicators"), and even mentioned, without details, this option, I think, in one yesterday.

Nevertheless, I start a separate one just because ... uhm ... I don't remember. :blush:

So ... I tried the Buell route and found it "not quite right." Then tried Piaggio and some other scooter options. Still, no joy.

Luckily, happened to notice a Triumph at my MG dealer. Eureka!

http://tinyurl.com/pg57u

So, while this may not be what other V11 Sport folks need, this is much better than original for the B/CS crowd, as these are identical in appearance except for a slight ribbing on stalk, and that is because these are flexible, not rigid plastic as was the one I knocked off in my garage. :homer:

Oh yeah, they are made in Italy! :helmet:

So, if interested, try Triumph part # T2705315, "Indicator, Front LH/Rear RH." Hmmmmm. Left p/n for other home, but if you care, you can probably sort that out. It's not Italian, so it's probably sequential. :D

[Edited to add other part #. It's T2705320, "Indicator, Front RH/Rear LH." So much for making fun of Italians and sequencing. :notworthy: ]

But be very, VERY careful, as these are "Triumph Genuine Part to be Fitted by Trained Mechanic." :P

Bill

Aspiring :luigi:

The Buell signals I bought were about $6.

That's $32 to the better than the Triumph's, i.e., several beers, and a point (and pint! :bier: ) worth considering. The Buells here were twice that, but still, obviously, cheaper than the Triumphs.

Again, tho, the Buells looked nothing like the Ballabio's t/s, and required mods to mount. These were identical, thus slipped on.

Bill

I installed the Buell units for about $11 each, for the complete assemblies. The only mod required was to drill out the existing mounting hole with a 3/8" drill, to fit the larger Buell mounting thread. If I ever receive the OEM signals ordered 7 months ago, I can install those in the somewhat larger mounting hole with no problem. I really like the flex stalks and personally prefer the amber colored plastic covers better than the yellow bulbs as originally supplied.

I installed the Buell units for about $11 each, for the complete assemblies. The only mod required was to drill out the existing mounting hole with a 3/8" drill, to fit the larger Buell mounting thread.

I think HD caught on and upped their prices. I paid about $11 or $12 each for mine. I do like the looks of the Triumph units and the fact that they appear to bolt right on as the MG originals do is a big plus.

Ironic that the Italian lights take more "fettle" (fettling?) to mount than those from Triumph.

Funny how that in times of financial upheaval ,Italian industrialists( Agnelli: Fiat -Alfa-Ferrari, Detomaso: Benelli/Moto Guzzi/Maserati,and Beggio: Aprilia/Guzzi/Laverda) try to unleash their angst and cut their losses simulteaneously by putting crappy electric components on their vehicles.."ha ha... that'll fix the whole bloody lot of them."..but seriously got some Taiwan made carbon plastic turn signals for my coppa after 4 pair of lenses and two complete Aprilia assemblies were turning into particles on the rear of my bike without as much as a scrape or other mishap... Got from an EBay seller (Vulcan_stuff).They are oval but smaller and generally mimick the shape of the original...20 bucks a pair.. amber or clear...worth checking into perhaps

Ironic that the Italian lights take more "fettle" (fettling?) to mount than those from Triumph.

The "Triumph" ones are made in Italy, too. :helmet:

OBTW, got the Ballabio back together after disassembling it (Lord knows why) and I found a home for (most of) the fastners. :luigi:

Riding it to Erie, Pa., on Thursday; back Tuesday night. About 2k miles as I'm going entirely by backroards. Rode it today to see what might fall off (or worse! :P ) before trip. Smells a bit from the all the various petro-chems burning, but ran great and everything still seems attached.

Bill