Fuse blows when connecting right coil

Guest bordsenius

Guest bordsenius

Or try Reboot guzzi spares.

Where do I find them? I need some spares!

I used to smoke a pipe, but his kind of smoke is really annoying.

Stig

That really exposed wire is the ECU ground wire. Since the ECU is incapable of passing that much current, I would guess that someone managed to hit the case of the ECU solidly with the +12V of the battery when working on the bike with the ensuing result. I'll bet there's a good sized arc mark on the case of the ECU somewhere. With luck, it will only be a wiring problem and splicing in new wire sections is entirely appropriate. IF that fails, then you're going to need to obtain a good wiring harness and/or an ECU to cross check for further problems. At least the ECU connector isn't damaged - that is an item that is pretty much impossible to obtain. You should replace the wires that have obviously been exposed to a lot of heat in case they become brittle and may fail. If the insulation doesn't look likes it's been hot, it's probably okay to leave that wire alone. No matter what approach you take, make sure that the wiring is done by someone that's good at soldering and can do a good job. Use heat shrink over the exposed solder joints, not electrical tape.

Don't bother checking up on the bike being parted out by Rick, it burned in a fire and none of the wiring is unscathed.

Reboot Guzzi Spares is your best bet if you want to find another harness. You can email Pete Morcombe for more information: pmorecombe@hotmail.com

Guest bordsenius

You guys are so extremely helpfull!

Thank you so very much. Without this forum I would have given up. I actually have a complete collection of catalogues from yamaha, honda, kawasaki and suziki here, as I had given up the italians. But I am on the way back. 16 years of guzzi makes it hard to turn away..

I'll fire up my old soldering iron tomorrow, and start repairing the damage.

Considering heat shrink cable, I have purchased a few meters. How hot do I have to make it to shrink? Can I use a ligther, or is hot air preferrable?

To clarify my technical skills: I am a B.Eng in Electrical engeneering, and I have a 3-year education from norway in hight voltage power systems and 3 more years from the UK in Electronics. But in the last 15 years I have spent my time with Unix servers, web servers and the likes, and hardly remeber anything from my school days. But I am quite comfortable with Mr.Ohm and his laws.

All the best

stig

Guest Gary Cheek

Ooops. I missed the photo untill after my previous response. That is not something caused by an oversize fuse.

I do however suspect dealer involvement more than ever. The smoke could not have been missed and it likely happened while someone was present!

Lucky they gave up !

A medium heat electric hot air gun is the safest source. You can use a piece of card stock to protect other wires close by and help to get heat at the bdkside in tight quarters. Beariin mind even a hot air gun can melt insulation. A micro torch works well too since you can direct the flame in all positions. A lighter will work but it is limited.

I use a paint stripper heat gun, basically a heavy duty women's hair dryer. I've used matches (pita), heat shrink guns, the paint stripper and even the side of the soldering iron. All work, but matches are the least likely to give you a good job and are hard to control. Steal your wife's hair drier, if you get caught, take her out to dinner. If you don't, take her out to dinner anyway. Either way, you win. Somewhere between being a U.S. Navy electronics tech, and working a number of career fields at a national weapons laboratory, including 6 years as a unix sys admin, I can identify with your skills being rusty. Don't sweat it, just take your time.

Guest bordsenius

This story has a happy ending. The bike is now running perfectly!

I replaced all the burned wires, used insulation-tape around all others that looks even slightly miscolored, and put everything together with shrink-socks.

And then - after about 3 hours of re-assembling the bike, it started at one! The ECU was not damaged by the massive shortcircuit. I feel very lucky!

Thanks to all lof you that helped me out!

stig