Another turn signal option

Greg Field

As much as I disdain Aprilia and the shit they do, I have to admit that sometimes they build a cool bike or a cool part. The SXV motard is a cool bike, and it has some cool turn signals.

PICT0006-3.jpg

There are they, and I bought a set to put on the Billy Bob.

PICT0007-2.jpg

They each have four LEDs, and I'm gonna try to make the LEDs so that they flash sequentially, like the signals on a 1968 Mercury Cougar. I am an electronic retard, though, so my chances of accomplishing that are nil. Still, they will look better than the stock items. They're even reasonably priced.

They're even reasonably priced.

Not sure if Billy Bob has the same mounts up front as my '01 V11, but it looks as though I'd have the same issues using the Aprilia lights as with those from Buell. That is, having to drill (or tap as someone mentioned) the hole in the turn signal extension bracket to accept the larger diameter threaded stem of the Buell turn signal and then work up a nut to fit inside the extension to secure it.

It almost looks as though the stem on that Aprilia light might be smaller than Buell's.

Definitely looks good.

As much as I disdain Aprilia and the shit they do, I have to admit that sometimes they build a cool bike or a cool part. The SXV motard is a cool bike, and it has some cool turn signals.

PICT0006-3.jpg

PICT0007-2.jpg

They each have four LEDs, and I'm gonna try to make the LEDs so that they flash sequentially, like the signals on a 1968 Mercury Cougar. I am an electronic retard, though, so my chances of accomplishing that are nil. Still, they will look better than the stock items. They're even reasonably priced.

Yes those are really nice lights. How much do they cost the unwashed masses? :P

List on 'em is about $25 each. If anybody here wants a set, I can give 10 percent off.

The stud is 8mm. I'll mount them to the H&B saddlebage brackets in back, and to the turn signal bracket drop-down plates I had to make in the effort to move the stock fairing to swing with the bars.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll measure the length later.

Meanwhile, here's some pix of them on the Billy Bob:

PICT0002-5.jpg

At the rear, mounted to the H&B saddlebag rack.

PICT0005-4.jpg

At the front. Mine are mounted to some drop-down plates I had to make in order to mount the stock turn signals and have them clear the Coppa fairing that I moved back to swing with the handlebars. These look like they would clear the fairing without need for the brackets. To use them on a V11 Sport, you'd have to get rid of the spacers for the frone signals. That would be a good thing, anyway.

They look pretty good and are flexible so I won't break them in minor mishaps in my very tight garage. I like them for now . . .