Comfortable hand grips?

Guest ckamin

Guest ckamin

Anyone replace their hand grips with something a little more comfortable (ie soft/plush and a bit bigger in diameter) than the stock grips on their V11? It looks like they slide onto a 1" diameter sleeve.

Thanks!

Carl

I bought some of the "grand touring" grips, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet:

grips.jpg

As you can see, the ends of these grips need to be cut off, or a hole cut in it. I have a friend that has them on his Ducati, and their "chunky" shape seemed like it would be more comfortable for me. I haven't ridden with them yet, myself. In fact, thanks for reminding me... maybe I'll actually get around to putting them on this week.

__Jason

I think I have ridden a Norton with the ones Jason recommended.

They worked really well.

I think the rounded shape is a great idea.

I also like the Pro Grip GEL 714

They are a little fatter and much softer....and they last along time and resist the weather better than stock.

You will have to trim the ends off to go around bar end weights or bar end mirrors, or bar end turn signals...

gel714mf3.jpg

Just about any grips for 7/8inch bars should fit.

You will find that the throttle side will have a greater diameter than the non-throttle side.

So, don't just go looking for one inch grips, or you may end up with the grips for one inch bars, which won't fit.

Anyone replace their hand grips with something a little more comfortable (ie soft/plush and a bit bigger in diameter) than the stock grips on their V11? It looks like they slide onto a 1" diameter sleeve.

Thanks!

Carl

A suggestion...

I replaced the grips on my LeMans with "Hot Grips" / heated grips and put high density foam slip-overs. They are larger diameter than stock, warm and vibration absorbing. You can get the slip-overs pretty cheap from the bemer bone yard (www.beemerboneyard.com).

I also have the throttlemiester (SP?) throttle lock and 14 oz bar end weights. With some work this system can be installed on the stock bars.

:mg:

Every time I see a "throttle grip" thread I'm tempted to relate this story.

So, here goes......

Early on...my first year moto-xing my fore arms (and my buddies too) would get

so pumped up that someone had to peel our fingers off the grips. "Death Grip"

We saw some of those big fat foam grips and said "Thats it!" Everyone got a set and put them on.

After about a half a lap our "death grip" was worse than ever...when we actually learned to ride

we learned to quit holding on for dear life and never got PUMPED fore arms again. Imagine charging

down a set of whoops WFO, over a jump. and blasting a berm and all the time "Lightly" holding on

to the bars. Letting the bars / front end find where it's suppose to be.

Moral of the story...

Don't squeeze..strangle..manhandle your bars...loosen up...The Guzzi knows which way to go. :mg:

Thanks!

Carl

These Pro Grips work great for me. Softer than stock.

http://www.progrip.com/default.asp?tip=3&ite=gri#top

I bought some of the "grand touring" grips, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet:

grips.jpg

As you can see, the ends of these grips need to be cut off, or a hole cut in it. I have a friend that has them on his Ducati, and their "chunky" shape seemed like it would be more comfortable for me. I haven't ridden with them yet, myself. In fact, thanks for reminding me... maybe I'll actually get around to putting them on this week.

__Jason

I'd like to know how to source those Grand Touring grips. I've always liked the large ones on my Norton, but they are the wrong inside diameter.

Ciao, Steve G.