removing instrument cover

pShenk

Ok, this should be the easiest thing in the world... I bought a red anodized instrument cover for the V11. You know, to replace the plastic bit that covers up the check-lights, etc. on the intrument panel. There are three normal-looking hex bolts holding it in place. ONE of them comes right out, the other two just spin in place. The only thing I can think of is that they are fastened with a nut on the other side that doesn't have anything to grab onto. I can't imagine why it would be put together that way.

I've tried opening the speedo/tach housing from the other side, but are those two bolts still holding it together? Good grief! It won't come apart, and I can't see any other fasteners (unless the speedo/tach bezels are holding it). The only other thing I can think to try is there is a plastic cover on the back of the whole housing that looks like it might pop off and reveal some more fastners. But I'm scared to pry it too much, for fear of breaking it.

Has anyone taken off that front intrument light cover that can tell me some trick to taking these two tiny bolts out? This is WAY harder than it should be. :angry:

OK... I got it off, kind of. I managed to push the speedo and tach out of their gasketed mounting holes, and the whole housing seperated. What I found inside, the white housing for the intrument lights, was possibly the cheapest looking plastic thing I've ever seen in my life. There HAD been three molded bits that the were holding three threaded brass cylinders to hold the hex bolts. They had literally crumbled like it was made of sugar. I wouldn't be surprised if this piece had been sitting in some bin at the factory for 20 years before it was put into my bike.

Ugh. I guess I'll try to goop on some epoxy to hold the cylinder nuts. I'm not sure I have faith that the rest of the thing won't crumble to dust at some point in the future.

I was thinking of doing just this, or at least painting mine, where did you get your new cover? pic of the finished bodge job?, you might deserve a bodge point for this one :huh2:

Oh, if things like that would be worth a bodge point I'd probably be king of bodge points.

On my other bikes, naturally!!

Hubert

I was thinking of doing just this, or at least painting mine, where did you get your new cover? pic of the finished bodge job?, you might deserve a bodge point for this one :huh2:

heh, is a bodge point for *finding* a shoddy part, or for *fixing* one. I doubt if my intended fix (need to get some good epoxy first, maybe PC-7) is worth any kind of point.

I got my cover from Rossopuro. Mine is in red, although now I'm thinking the polished one might have been cooler. It's a nice piece. The face of it still has the machine marks on it from the CNC, which I kind of like. Here's the link.

red indicatro cover

I'll post pics of the operation when I do the surgery.

I ran into this same issue when I needed to take the instrument cluster a part to make a blinker indicator ground. As you mentioned, the internal indicator light housing is made of ridiculously poor quality plastic. I was concerned at first but realized that it all stayed in place once nicely I put the cluster housing back on. All of my hex nuts that held the top T cover in place were firmly in place so I didn't worry about even removing them. I would just secure your new cover in any manner you can and not worry about trying to rebuild screw holes in the white crappy indicator housing.

I said a bodge because you decided to glue the brittle crap peice back together instead of getting a new plastic peice or fabricate something more suitable. :huh2:

ha, ok, I'll post pics. I ordered a new piece today which was (surprisingly) in stock. In the meantime, I'll epoxy it so I can still ride.

If I had the equipment, I'd fabricate something. I'd like to learn how to do more of that at some point.

:lol::lol::lol:

OK, here's the plastic housing that's all cracked. Cheap styrene from the looks of it (and the fact that it softens in acetone :unsure: )

cracked.jpg

And here's my exquisite craftsmanship :huh2:

glopped.jpg

The epoxy is hardening tonight, so we'll see if it holds tomorrow. I dunno... *I* think it looks pretty damn bodgy. :luigi:

.... *I* think it looks pretty damn bodgy. :luigi:

Yes, but wasn't a Bodge-Point meant for something like using your first wifes bra to keep on or bring back to the road your second? "Gimme that, yes, now, no, they don't look, I need it to fix her" - that would be brave.

Hubert

Yes, but wasn't a Bodge-Point meant for something like using your first wifes bra to keep on or bring back to the road your second? "Gimme that, yes, now, no, they don't look, I need it to fix her" - that would be brave.

Hubert

Comparing it to my ongoing exhaust hangers. 3rd failure (first time on the left) used duct tape to complete my journey some 200 miles

060807047.jpg

not a bodge a get you home (200miles) fix,

Once home can't get it welded due to being aluminum, so repair effected by bolting two washers either side of it, and packing out with other washers to allow for the little bolt heads.

060807059.jpg

This is a bit bodgey and becomes more so the longer it's left on (only three weeks currently)

The epoxy gluing above is a valid repair in my opion.

Of course! A very valid repair. Quite common since the invention of Cyano, Epoxy and Cie.

It seems to be time for a qualified explanation of what is worth a bodge point. Your exhaust seems to be a good candidate. But then, the last award winner, the windage plate, seems to be something completely different.

Could it be that an invention worth a bodge point should not only be a QDOS (Quick and Dirty Onroad Solution) but should as well reach a certain intellectual height in this direction? The plate for sure is not a QD(O)S, but it's been awarded... :huh2:

Hubert

PS: I'd cut the bolt!

Hmm, I'm not sure I want a bodge point. It bugs me just knowing that that fuggly mess is inside the dash. My nature is to try to make it all look shiny and new. :sun: For me, "bodge" = temporary. :luigi:

Anyhoo...

Here's a pic of the red cover, all installed nice and neat. I swear, getting this thing on was way more trouble than say, putting on the Stucci X-over. Just goes to show that you never know what you're getting in for...

red_cover.jpg

It's kind of cool, but it's a little darker than the stock red frame-bracing thing at the back. Also, now there is this "island of red" up there, with nothing else to anchor it. Maybe if my grips had some slight red accent? Am I obsessing? Yes! :grin: