Warning- oil cooler line.

nose2wind

While doing some work on the bike, noticed the left oil cooler line that leads across the front and down the right side of the frame has been rubbing on the front of the engine case. It has worn into one of the fins and was worn thru the ss braiding and about to cut thru the hose. It has also been wearing bad at the alternator cover and against the right side oil line.

I cut some 1 inch pieces of fuel line (slightly larger diameter) and made slits in them so I could slip them over the oil line at the contact points.

You might want to check your bikes as I would think this is not an isolated situation.

Guest Gary Cheek

While on the subject of hoses..

While Mr Engineer @ Moto Guzzi used some impressive appearing hose all clad in braided metal for the SUCTION side of the fuel system, the side going to the regulator is really pretty mediocre. The regulator side unfortunately also carries fuel under pressure. Depending upon conditions some uf these bikes are near or past the point where the hose is dangerously weak and deteriorated. Of course it will likely decide to let go at speed and before the rider can shut it down and get off he will be pretty well saurated with gasoline.

While doing routine maintenance (tightening up the connectors to the clutch switch that are under the tank and cause 50% of the intermittent cranking prolems!) I discovered a very rotten section of hose. I was actually able to break it with just a slight bend at the fitting.

Better look at yours! And while you have the tank off take care of those connectors for the clutch switch. They are the connectors at the front of the tank, left side. The usual clue is the bike will crank when the bars are wiggled or when the wires are pulled at.

That's good advice, Gary. It's always worth extra poking about when the tank is off.

Yes, the braided lines to the oil cooler are like saws. A couple sturdy 'zip-ties' at each of the areas of contact is a good preventive. :luigi:

Just checked my hoses and there is rubbing/wear against the frame on the right side, Good spot :thumbsup:

Check where the inner hose the one that sits against the alternator cover. The rubber sheath around the brading can wear thru to the braiding and then the braiding starts cutting into the alternator cover, and the outside (other) oil line.

The other bad area is where the line sits against the front of the engine above the alternator and rubs against the horizontal ribbing cast into the case. The plastic sheathing goes first then the braiding starts to rub and wear the rib. Mine had cut a 1/2 circle out of the rib and torn thru the braiding and started to cut into the rubber. Anymore and major leak time.