Oil Drip

nose2wind

I have noticed a drip on the right side of the bike. This occurs when the bike is parked on a work stand level (not on the side stand)

I have traced it up the right engine support frame where it attaches to the spine.

The hex bolt that attaches to the spine is tight. Is this a possible leak point? It is not a bad leak, does it make sense that it could leak here while level on the work stand? My guess is if there is oil in the frame and the bike is not leaning to the left, a small amount of oil is finding it's way thru this right side attachment point. It follows the right frame tube down past the oil cooler and drips onto the floor.

Does this sound feasible?

I would think this attachment point is isolated thru the spine unless I have developed a small crack allowing the oil to pass thru to the bolt hole.

Any advice?

Tia

Guest ratchethack

David, just thinkin' out loud here. First off, when it comes to oil, the lifeblood of y'er Guzzi, there are leaks, and then there are LEAKS. On the other hand, there are also an entirely lesser category, consisting of weeps and seeps. I've only EVER had weeps and seeps on any motorcycle I've owned. Scratch that. One time I had a bit of a leak when I holed a primary chaincase on my beloved Bultaco Pursang when I kissed a big chunk of granite after a small, temporary, yet remarkably high speed parting of the man/machine interface on a fire road in the mountains. That was a long ways back. The left knee still hurts when the weather changes. :( But I digress.

Sounds to me like you might have a bit of a seep. The only possible source I can think of from the area you describe might be a tiny pinpoint void in a frame weld. Inside the frame above that point is the oil condenser, but the bolt you describe threads into a massive steering-head gusset below the part of the frame that's the condenser. Oil is NOT under pressure in the condenser part, and it shouldn't be found where you describe it. But with heating & cooling cycles over time, it's feasible that some oil could migrate its way through a porous bit o' weld somewhere and wind up there when you put it on the shop stand.

I'd wipe it up when you think about it. Otherwise forget about it and go f'er a ride. :huh2:

But that's just me. -_-

David, just thinkin' out loud here. First off, when it comes to oil, the lifeblood of y'er Guzzi, there are leaks, and then there are LEAKS. On the other hand, there are also an entirely lesser category, consisting of weeps and seeps. I've only EVER had weeps and seeps on any motorcycle I've owned. Scratch that. I had a bit of a leak when I holed a primary case on a Bultaco Pursang when I kissed a big chunk of granite after a little mishap on a fire road in the mountains. But I digress.

Sounds to me like you might have a bit of a seep. The only possible source I can think of from the area you describe might be a tiny pinpoint void in a frame weld. Inside the frame at that point is the oil condenser. Oil is NOT under pressure there, but with warm temperatures over time, it's feasible that some oil could migrate its way through a porous bit o' weld.

I'd wipe it up, forget about it, and go f'er a ride. :huh2:

But that's just me. -_-

Thanks for the reply, I tend to agree, nothing serious and as I stated when it is on the side stand (most of the time) it doesn't occur. I first suspected the oil cooler and lines and inspected them first (this is how I found the badly worn oil line). I followed the oil smear on the frame tube up to the frame joint. I guess there would be no harm in loosening the bolt and cleaning up the joint and silicone it up.

Thanks

David, just thinkin' out loud here. First off, when it comes to oil, the lifeblood of y'er Guzzi, there are leaks, and then there are LEAKS. On the other hand, there are also an entirely lesser category, consisting of weeps and seeps. I've only EVER had weeps and seeps on any motorcycle I've owned.

I'd wipe it up when you think about it. Otherwise forget about it and go f'er a ride. :huh2:

But that's just me. -_-

Even though I have nothing to add I just had to make the comment that, "This is perhaps the "MOST Guzzi-centric" remark I've ever seen...well done! clap.gif