let's talk helmet

tomsp

20th anniversary in Europe with wify :drink: what a great tour. We all have to ride -- norcal-- the next scheduled thing is Bodega Bay on 10-6 I think. I was supposed to schedule a Delta run but can't figure out where to go except Locke--- my Arai is the quietest helmet I've had on. Next quiet is the Shoei -- very nice... my Suomy is LOUD - even with plugs The new Nolan when it gets here , can't be that loud :P

I finaly wore my new Arai Astro R some 18 months after buying it at the BMF show at 1/2 list price- end of line sale. Only 3 months after buying an Arai SV to replace my 11 year old Quantam E. I noticed a few things straight off.

1- The snugness of the brand new uncompressed liner

2- The clarity of a brand new visor compared even with freshly cleaned old one.

3- Increased wind noise due to a greater number of vents, was very particular to the angle my head was at. In my normal position there was a slight whistle but lift the angle slightly it would go completely. I don't know if this would bother me over longer trips.

4- Despite the helmets with graphics costing more than plain ones you can't see them when wearing them.

I find that helmets are like ski-boots. Different manufacturers seem to have different "fit". I have been happy with the fit of the Shoei and have ridden for years with my trusty RF 800. It's not too heavy and the wind noise is reasonable if you toss that little hold-open device from the left side. I have just acquired a RF 1000 and like it for the added venting, but like mentioned already, that does make it a little noisier.

Every flip-front helmet I've tried was too noisy at hiway speed, for my taste.

Shoei X11. Bought it based on comfort: fit and venting. While it is very comfortable, the various lumps and bumps associated with the vents add suprising amount of wind noise. No big deal since I wear plugs, but something to think about. Think I could have paid less for same fit and accepted a bit less vent/noise. While the helmet doesn't fog if I'm moving at all (and I don't have to use squirt'em on the visor) at low speeds in this climate (Northern Calif) its easy enough to crack the visor to control fog - most of the time.