Shopping?

zoltan c

Somebody posted this on Craigslist(vancouver). Looks like they are shopping for a new bike, as if they were in a showroom. Very brazen, how do you secure your bike against this? Three guys pick it up and load it in the back of a pick up truck. I thought about installing one of those paging alarms that have an LCD screen on the key fob and lets you know what is going on, but I have heard of a guy going out to his parking pad in the middle of the night and getting a baseball bat in the face as he rounded the corner. So catching the thieves in the act may not be to your advantage. (except for our fellow riders from the US where everyone seems to be packing heat nowdays! :grin: )

I don't leave my bike for very long when I'm out riding and alway sit by a window if I'm having lunch or a coffee so I can keep an eye on it. I have only parked in an underground parkade once but I didn't feel too good about it. My bike is fully insured but I still worry because out bikes are not that easy to replace. If I had an R6 or a GSXR it wouldn't bother me so much. But I love my Guzzi :wub: !!

thief1.jpgthief2.jpgthief3.jpgthief4.jpg

Knock on wood, but my machines are going to be tough to get at [i sleep/hang out very near them], at my own home. Cables through all the frames, garage door with 'special' home designed security situation.

Seeing these pictures makes me see red. There may be 3 of them, but I'd get 2 real bad for sure. I'm pretty good with my Louisville Slugger, wood screws sticking out.

I'm surprised the cops wouldn't have pictures out. Those are very good security pictures.

Ciao, Steve G.

Those pictures are very good and color to boot! I don't know how much the cops actually give a sh!t about finding bike thieves and/or recovering stolen bikes but you can't have these guys served up any better than this.

My bike is also in my own garage and I live in a pretty good neighbourhood, in the valley. I'm more worried about when I go out especially Vancouver.

I don't worry about it at all here, Maybe I should but the numbers point to the percentages of low productions bikes being stolen to be very low, I assume harder to offload a 78 eldo with a custom seat and so on so I say let'em keep stealin the Gixxers and CBers of the world, as long as they leave my goose alone :ninja:

I would say we don't have to worry about it so much because our bikes aren't the fashion du jour, or even if recognized, most realize they aren't in high demand for parts or the machine itself..... BUT... we've had several owners on this forum have their bikes taken.

However, I will say that in at least two cases, the Guzzis seemed to have been taken as a matter of incidental/convenience thefts, joy-ridden a while, then left once they realized it wasn't a Hayabusa :P

But what is illustrated above happens all the time unfortunately. It's amazing how brazen and cold some of these folks can be.

When I was still living in the SF Bay area in CA, I would read about one of these types of thefts almost once a month or more it seemed, and often from "locked" underground residental parking garages... :doh:

Al